Cool New Bike Technology

That is the coolest looking groupset i've seen, now i just need a pay rise and i'll be able to get it :)

I think ONCE tried using what was then called Mavic ZAP back in 95 or 96. From memory it was quit unreliable back then (things change in 5 years though).

IMO its probably the way things will eventually go.

Saw this baby at a Cycling Expo a few months ago. It was rigged up onto a Basso frame. Stunning stuff!

Does any one know how much it costs as it does not say on the web site. ???

How bout these;
http://www.shimanocycling.com/mtb/airlines/index.asp

With Airlines, the shifter is actually a precision pneumatic switch that's used to supply compressed air from the Air supply bottle to the derailleur. Shifting response is always fast and uniform because the mechanical linkage between your hand and the derailleur has been replaced with the power of compressed air. Stress on the thumb and fingers is reduced not only by the feather-light push-button action, but also by the use of separate left and right shifters for up and down-shifting. Furthermore, the derailleur uses a special constant tension linkage that keeps spring pressure uniform regardless of gear. This means that Airlines offers uniform shifting speed and response characteristics regardless of the derailleur's position on the freewheel.
cheers!

Now out training/racing you risk a puncture in both your tyers and gear cables hehe

Now out training/racing you risk a puncture in both your tyers and gear cables hehe

The compressed air power source used by Airlines consists of an air tank that can be carried on the frame just like a water bottle. The air tank uses a normal Schrader valve so air pressure can be conveniently "topped off" with a hand pump or at any gas station or bike shop. The 500cc air tank carries enough air for approximately 400* shifts.

I hope this baby has some kind of manual over-ride? I would hate running out of cannister air going up some serious climb!

Imagine being in the 23 cog struggling up some climb and without warning it slams it down to the 12 arghhhh ::)

would be enough to make ya cry

cheers!

The Shimano Airlines was actually developed for downill racing. I don't expect them to be making any for road racing. One canister is only able to provide you with 400 shifts. I've never raced, so I do not know if this is enough. Still, the weight penalty would probably be too great to be able to be of any benefit.

[quote author=Nicholas link=board=20;threadid=1215;start=0#10492 date=1001590894]<br />Well this is some new technology i found on the net any of you guys seen it it sound high tech :eek: <br /><br />Its a electronics shifting system i hope there is no one afraid of computers here heeh ;D heres the link<br /><br />http://www.mavic.com/eng/prod/fiche/group/remekksy.htm<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hi,<br /><br />I came accross the info that Campy is also working on an electronic shifing system for the record groupset. It will probably take a couple more years before it's released though.<br /><br />Niek<br /><br />PS: you can find an article on http://www.campyonly.com/rumors/new_electronic_record.html. Butt-ugly site, but interesting for all campy fans