Cool News

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bill C, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    Tags:

  2. Mike Gladu

    Mike Gladu Guest

  3. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    Hadn't thought of that. I heard from someone in the area who thinks
    this'll stay in the planning stages until were all to old to ride, but
    the Lance stuff could be a real wildcard in whether this happens or
    not.
    We've had an indoor bmx track and skatepark open in the area and they
    are swamped with kids. Looks like we could have a few more soon. Some
    of the area golf courses are really looking at it as a way to use spare
    land and generate income over the winter.
    Bill C

  4. John Rees

    John Rees Guest

  5. EuroDog

    EuroDog Guest

    "John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Mike Gladu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > | In article <[email protected]>,
    > | "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > |

    > http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicycleretailer/headlines/article_display.jsp?v
    > | > nu_content_id=1000788256
    > |
    > | What are the chances now of this being where Lance does his hour...
    >
    > Isn't Albuquerque like 5-6,000 feet above sea level?
    > I know that would reduce friction, but wouldn't the altitude
    > more than cancel this out?

    If he has any balls, he'll get a standard track machine, go to Manchester
    and take on Bman's hour. F-1 Project and altitude will not show what a
    great cyclist he might be. Let him ride a direct comparison with the likes
    of Boardman, Anquetil, Bracke, Riviere, Baldini, and Coppi at sea level.

  6. B Lafferty

    B Lafferty Guest

    "EuroDog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> "Mike Gladu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> | In article <[email protected]>,
    >> | "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> |

    >> http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicycleretailer/headlines/article_display.jsp?v
    >> |
    >> | What are the chances now of this being where Lance does his hour...
    >>
    >> Isn't Albuquerque like 5-6,000 feet above sea level?
    >> I know that would reduce friction, but wouldn't the altitude
    >> more than cancel this out?

    > If he has any balls, he'll get a standard track machine, go to Manchester
    > and take on Bman's hour. F-1 Project and altitude will not show what a
    > great cyclist he might be. Let him ride a direct comparison with the
    > likes of Boardman, Anquetil, Bracke, Riviere, Baldini, and Coppi at sea
    > level.

    Boardman's desired parameters:

    http://www.procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=856

  7. Tom Paterson

    Tom Paterson Guest

    From "B Lafferty":

    >Boardman's desired parameters:

    >http://www.procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=856>

    From above link:

    <“There should be doping control of both blood and urine immediately prior to
    and after the event and this should be stored to allow for future re-tests,”
    Boardman said. “In Armstrong's case, putting in place such procedures would
    be a magnificent opportunity for him to dispel all the rumours. It would answer
    all his problems.”

    "Magnificent opportunity"? "All his problems"? What a laugh. Just a couple
    more-- in a long, long line, of negative tests and inquiry-driven retests--
    which will *never* satisfy the Lance haters, among whom LA has already been
    convicted on the basis of performance and perceived arrogance (combined with
    rumor/innuendo, of course).

    Right, Brian?

    I couldn't help but notice that CB didn't say anything about "riding outdoors
    like Eddy Merckx did". Whoops. "He never would have made it" (IMHO of course).

    Well, they should just go to ebay and find any hopefuls a nice NOS pair of
    floppy Addidas lace-up leather shoes and some fine TA nail-on metal cleats.
    Maybe require some torque specs on the toestraps as well, and don't forget the
    fuzzy wool pants with leather chamois and nice warm silk jersey, either. Sea
    level, outdoors, and maybe it should be cold and raining, as well...

    Speaking of, any news on the rumored LA run at the Spring Classics? Or have any
    former "also rans" been hyping their Giro or Tour aspirations? --TP

  8. B Lafferty

    B Lafferty Guest

    "Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > From "B Lafferty":
    >
    >>Boardman's desired parameters:

    >>http://www.procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=856>

    > From above link:
    >
    > <"There should be doping control of both blood and urine immediately prior
    > and after the event and this should be stored to allow for future
    > re-tests,"
    > Boardman said. "In Armstrong's case, putting in place such procedures
    > would
    > be a magnificent opportunity for him to dispel all the rumours. It would
    > answer
    > all his problems."
    >>

    > "Magnificent opportunity"? "All his problems"? What a laugh. Just a couple
    > more-- in a long, long line, of negative tests and inquiry-driven
    > retests--
    > which will *never* satisfy the Lance haters, among whom LA has already
    > been
    > convicted on the basis of performance and perceived arrogance (combined
    > with
    > rumor/innuendo, of course).
    >
    > Right, Brian?

    You inquiry is better directed to Mr. Boardman.

    > I couldn't help but notice that CB didn't say anything about "riding
    > outdoors
    > like Eddy Merckx did". Whoops. "He never would have made it" (IMHO of
    > course).

    There will always be that debate. Would outdoor at altitude be roughly
    equivelent to indoor at sea level? IIRC, Armstrong was talking about
    building an indoor track at altitude.

    Personally, I think this is a marvelous opportunity for the present
    athelete's hour holder's record to go up against what Armstrong can do. It
    would be sort of like Merckx and Ritter both riding in Mexico City.

    BTW, have a look at a very good unofficial CB web site
    http://www.chrisboardman.com/ Lots of career photos.

  9. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

  10. Tom Paterson

    Tom Paterson Guest

    From "B Lafferty":

    >You inquiry is better directed to Mr. >Boardman.

    "Thanks for your answer".

    >Would outdoor at altitude be roughly
    >equivelent to indoor at sea level?

    Depends. On the changable wind, for one thing. Temperature. Tolerance of
    atmospheric pollution for another. Compared to manipulation of the indoor
    environment, incl. temp, pressure, humidity. If I were doing it, I'd go high
    indoors and manipulate within the rules. And maybe bring two different bikes
    <g> if I felt extra good.

    > >http://www.chrisboardman.com/

    Thanks, I had that one and lost it in an AOL thrash.

    FWIW, I followed CB's exploits with interest. If you look on p. 75 of Feb '04's
    Procycling, you'll see CB in yellow on an Eddy apparently identical to the one
    I ride except for the "Boardman Chris" decal placement. His (one visible) is
    placed above the top tube stripe, mine are right on it. "Belgium Handmade",
    tubes by Lightspeed. Nice ride and really a pretty blue in sunlight. --TP

  11. B Lafferty

    B Lafferty Guest

    "Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > From "B Lafferty":
    >
    >>You inquiry is better directed to Mr. >Boardman.

    > "Thanks for your answer".
    >
    >>Would outdoor at altitude be roughly
    >>equivelent to indoor at sea level?

    > Depends. On the changable wind, for one thing. Temperature. Tolerance of
    > atmospheric pollution for another. Compared to manipulation of the indoor
    > environment, incl. temp, pressure, humidity. If I were doing it, I'd go
    > high
    > indoors and manipulate within the rules. And maybe bring two different
    > bikes
    > <g> if I felt extra good.

    I think one answer to what Boardman is raising is to set standards for an
    athelete's hour at sea level and at altitude. The central issue is to be
    able to make comparisons of the atheletes. While the absolute hour record
    has its interesting points, its not my preference.

    >> >http://www.chrisboardman.com/

    > Thanks, I had that one and lost it in an AOL thrash.

    I wish WCP would bring the dvd of Boardman's final record ride over here for
    sale. Bromley has it, but the exchange rate is really bad right now due to
    the weakened dollar.

    > FWIW, I followed CB's exploits with interest. If you look on p. 75 of Feb
    > '04's
    > Procycling, you'll see CB in yellow on an Eddy apparently identical to the
    > one
    > I ride except for the "Boardman Chris" decal placement. His (one visible)
    > is
    > placed above the top tube stripe, mine are right on it. "Belgium
    > Handmade",
    > tubes by Lightspeed. Nice ride and really a pretty blue in sunlight. --TP

  12. John Rees

    John Rees Guest

    "EuroDog" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    | The issue is that of being able to compare performances. As another poster
    | aptly noted, there have been proposals to have dual records--sea level and
    | altitude for the AH. Not a bad idea, IMHO.

    In athletics (Track & Field) this is already the case. Sprint times recorded at altitude get an '*' in the record books and do not
    get recognised officially.
    Likewise for events such as the long jump. Longer events, such as the 1,500 and up do not have separate classifications as the loss
    of oxygen to the athletes does not get made up for the thinner air, due to the relatively slower speeds.

  13. "EuroDog" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > The issue is that of being able to compare performances. As another
    > poster aptly noted, there have been proposals to have dual records--sea
    > level and altitude for the AH. Not a bad idea, IMHO.

    Then you get into a situation like national championship jerseys where the
    US distributes, what, about 500 annually?

    Every rider has the opportunity to choose to make their attempt on the track
    of their choice. Nobody refused Boardman, Obree, or Rominger an attempt at
    altitude.

    The performances are compared by how far you ride. Period.

    Carl
    (Similar to Tim Lines, in training to set the 43 year 3 month age group, 19%
    bf, 128 m altitude, with 32 spoke wheels and steel frame tubes hour record)

  14. Tom

    Tom Guest

    How did that happen you ask?

    It was a cancer thing when Lance had testicular cancer, they had to
    remove one. And hence, he only has one.

    Tom

  15. EuroDog

    EuroDog Guest

    "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > How did that happen you ask?
    >
    > It was a cancer thing when Lance had testicular cancer, they had to
    > remove one. And hence, he only has one.
    >
    > Tom

    Choose one or more from the following:

    I am,

    a. thick as a brick
    b. without humor or sarcasm perception.
    c. a dumbass jerk.
    d. just a guy with a very long chain to be jerked.
    e. a sad, lonely, pathetic little middle aged man who takes things quite
    literally, all the time.

  16. amit

    amit Guest

    EuroDog wrote:

    > The issue is that of being able to compare performances. As another

    poster
    > aptly noted, there have been proposals to have dual records--sea

    level and
    > altitude for the AH. Not a bad idea, IMHO.

    the UCI lists different categories of hour records :

    http://www.uci.ch/modello.asp?1stlevelid=F&level1=4&level2=1&idnews=1571

    i knew ekimov held an hour record, but i didn't know john frey held the
    amateur outdoor altitude record.

  17. "amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >> The issue is that of being able to compare performances. As another

    > poster
    >> aptly noted, there have been proposals to have dual records--sea

    > level and
    >> altitude for the AH. Not a bad idea, IMHO.
    >>

    > the UCI lists different categories of hour records :
    >
    > http://www.uci.ch/modello.asp?1stlevelid=F&level1=4&level2=1&idnews=1571
    >
    > i knew ekimov held an hour record, but i didn't know john frey held the
    > amateur outdoor altitude record.

    But nobody pays any attention to any of them except the (no pun intended)
    absolute fastest. Which record are you more impressed by: Boardman's 56.375
    or 49.441? Even Eddy himself has been quoted as saying regressing the record
    was a stupid idea.

  18. amit

    amit Guest

    Carl Sundquist wrote:

    > > the UCI lists different categories of hour records :

    http://www.uci.ch/modello.asp?1stlevelid=F&level1=4&level2=1&idnews=1571

    > > i knew ekimov held an hour record, but i didn't know john frey held

    the
    > > amateur outdoor altitude record.
    > >

    > But nobody pays any attention to any of them except the (no pun

    intended)
    > absolute fastest.

    true, i was just pointing out that the UCI does have a history or
    keeping a separate record for records set at altitude.

    > Which record are you more impressed by: Boardman's 56.375
    > or 49.441?

    the former as well as boardman's 4:11 pursuit set the bar insanely
    high.

    > Even Eddy himself has been quoted as saying regressing the record
    > was a stupid idea.

    if armstrong wanted to he could try to break the 56.375, just because
    the UCI no longer calls it the hour record doesn't mean it wasn't done.

    how about if a promoter got together some money and brought together
    the top four or five TT riders in the world to tackle the hour all in
    one night as a pay-per-view ?

    you wouldn't have to sit through five hours of laps though, if someone
    falls too far behind the record pace their ride would be aborted and
    the next rider would start.

  19. "amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > if armstrong wanted to he could try to break the 56.375, just because
    > the UCI no longer calls it the hour record doesn't mean it wasn't done.

    That's what I was proposing in the other hour thread. Just go out and set a
    new fastest time, abiding by all technical UCI parameters with the exception
    of bike equipment. Let them wallow for a few years in their "Absolute Hour"
    record that nobody tries for or cares about. Eventually they'll come back to
    the 21st century.

    > how about if a promoter got together some money and brought together
    > the top four or five TT riders in the world to tackle the hour all in
    > one night as a pay-per-view ?
    >
    > you wouldn't have to sit through five hours of laps though, if someone
    > falls too far behind the record pace their ride would be aborted and
    > the next rider would start.

    Doubtful that would work as each rider would need to know when they are
    going to start so they could schedule their preparations and warmups
    accordingly. A simulcast between velodromes such as Manchester, Bordeaux,
    etc. could be quite interesting though.

  20. Jenko

    Jenko Guest

    Carl Sundquist wrote:
    > "amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    >>if armstrong wanted to he could try to break the 56.375, just because
    >>the UCI no longer calls it the hour record doesn't mean it wasn't done.
    >>

    > That's what I was proposing in the other hour thread. Just go out and set a
    > new fastest time, abiding by all technical UCI parameters with the exception
    > of bike equipment.

    Armstrong in the superman position? That would be cool.

    Jenko