Cool, sporty, stylish...recumbents and HPVs

Jeff Potter

Guest
Here's a dose of diverse color and style for those who might still think of recumbents and HPVs as
being only for slow, old, bearded geeks:

http://speedbikes.ch/

http://www.ligfiets.net/cyclevision/promotie.php3

http://www.m5-ligfietsen.com/english/wedstrijdnieuws.htm

One of the things I've always liked about HPV racing is how diverse and inclusive it is, with
several classes and kinds of bikes on the course at the same time. This creates a particular race
culture. For one thing it requires a consistent use of etiquette in terms of passing and being
passed which has worked great in every event I've been to. It also contributes to the 'small world'
air of an HPV race day. --Even when very high performance action is going on. Crit riders averaging
35+mph are often on the course with those going only 20.

Another amazing thing about the HPV scene is how the freeform construction technique results in so
many interesting bike, frame and fairing shapes, designs and colors. This allows a VERY wide range
of graphic design expression. Upright bike paint jobs can be nice, of course: but the range of
expression possible for a few small tubes is VERY small. Smooth, gorgeously painted fairings can be
designed amazingly or even sold as advertising space.

Note from the M5 website that in open time trials and even hilly road races the unfaired recumbent
(via Euro rules which allow a shaped seat) is winning recent UCI-type races.

--

Jeff Potter
****

"Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Here's a dose of diverse color and style for those who might still think of recumbents and HPVs as
> being only for slow, old, bearded geeks:
>
> http://speedbikes.ch/
>
> http://www.ligfiets.net/cyclevision/promotie.php3
>
> http://www.m5-ligfietsen.com/english/wedstrijdnieuws.htm
>
> One of the things I've always liked about HPV racing is how diverse and inclusive it is, with
> several classes and kinds of bikes on the course at the same time. This creates a particular race
> culture. For one thing it requires a consistent use of etiquette in terms of passing and being
> passed which has worked great in every event I've been to. It also contributes to the 'small
> world' air of an HPV race day. --Even when very high performance action is going on. Crit riders
> averaging 35+mph are often on the course with those going only 20.
>
> Another amazing thing about the HPV scene is how the freeform construction technique results in so
> many interesting bike, frame and fairing shapes, designs and colors. This allows a VERY wide range
> of graphic design expression. Upright bike paint jobs can be nice, of course: but the range of
> expression possible for a few small tubes is VERY small. Smooth, gorgeously painted fairings can
> be designed amazingly or even sold as advertising space.
>
> Note from the M5 website that in open time trials and even hilly road races the unfaired recumbent
> (via Euro rules which allow a shaped seat) is winning recent UCI-type races.
>
> --
You forgot one, Calfee's new Stiletto:

http://www.calfeedesign.com/stiletto.shtml