Cool turn signals for bikes

divinemaredi

Mar 2, 2016
So I was just searching for recent technological devices for bicycles and I landed on this cool website that mentions something I've never even thought of: turning signals for bikes! Epic isn't it?
Have you heard of such a thing, want it, seen it or perhaps even used before?

Share your thoughts, much thanks in advance!

Heard of it several times before. It's something that gets reinvented regularly.
Personally not interested, as they're illegal where I'm at - to prevent bicycles from being confused with motorcycles, scooters etc.

So, I was just realizing that cars and trucks don't even use their turn signals where I live. Epic! I know!

Yes, I have actually heard of and seen turn signals for bicycles as they have been around since the late 1950's and probably long before that.

They are another solution in search of a problem.

I am really amazed by this. Well, I have seen several turn signals in cars, bikes, trucks, etc but I have never seen a turn signal equipped with a cycle. I always though that the modern cycles should be equipped with these type of technological gadgets and now it seems like my dream is coming true. I have never seen anything like this in the market. I would definitely buy it for my cycle.

why can't I just extend my arm to signal? Oh, that's right modern humans are to frail to do that.

why can't I just extend my arm to signal? Oh, that's right modern humans are to frail to do that.
This is a traditional signal technique that people use but in today's world, it does not work. In today's world, we need a turn signal indicators with flashing lights. It would be cool if the manufacturers put up a sound device on it! I am eagerly waiting for the cycle gadgets like this.

This is a traditional signal technique that people use but in today's world, it does not work. In today's world, we need a turn signal indicators with flashing lights. It would be cool if the manufacturers put up a sound device on it! I am eagerly waiting for the cycle gadgets like this.

People know what a hand turn signal means, and if they don't they won't know what a red turn signal means either! Most people don't even look a bikes, but if your arm is extended they instinctively know what your intentions are. I see motorcyclists do this for gods sakes, so I assume motorists understand such basic hand signals. If you use your left hand to point left and your right hand to point right (motorists have forgotten that a left arm extended parallel with the forearm/hand extended upright that means right turn, so instead use your right arm they get that one and it's what motorcyclists do as well), motorists will more than understand what your intentions are.

I cannot say that I have ever seen anything like a turn signal on a bike. In my opinion, the best rides are the ones where you do not need a turn signal, so ideally I would never need one, but this does sound a little intriguing. I liked the frustration that I could sense from people not knowing the basic signals of the hands, because it amazes me how people have yet to understand them.

I cannot say that I have ever seen anything like a turn signal on a bike. In my opinion, the best rides are the ones where you do not need a turn signal, so ideally I would never need one, but this does sound a little intriguing. I liked the frustration that I could sense from people not knowing the basic signals of the hands, because it amazes me how people have yet to understand them.

People today don't understand signals of most kinds, red light means you can still go through it, yellow means green, yield means screw you, a turn signal to go right means the guy facing you who wants to go left can cut you off which means they're not going to give a rats **** if a bike wants to turn right with a puny little unnoticeable light blinking. If a car is willing to turn left in front of cars coming at it knowing that other person has the right away will stop because they don't want to crash, do you think for one minute that a car suddenly won't turn left in front of a cyclist? After all the car is a lot larger than another car and that motorist is betting that the cyclist will slam on the brakes so as not to get killed. I see zero effect of a having turn signals, that hasn't matter for the last 100 years since cars and bikes have been on the roads together, so I don't really think it's going to matter in the future either.

People today don't understand signals of most kinds, red light means you can still go through it, yellow means green, yield means screw you, a turn signal to go right means the guy facing you who wants to go left can cut you off which means they're not going to give a rats **** if a bike wants to turn right with a puny little unnoticeable light blinking. If a car is willing to turn left in front of cars coming at it knowing that other person has the right away will stop because they don't want to crash, do you think for one minute that a car suddenly won't turn left in front of a cyclist? After all the car is a lot larger than bicycle and that motorist is betting that the cyclist will slam on the brakes so as not to get killed. I see zero effect of a having turn signals, that hasn't matter for the last 100 years since cars and bikes have been on the roads together, so I don't really think it's going to matter in the future either.

I think it would be cool to have a rig that used one centrally-located display that handled U-turns and turns, but was like an LED+symbol based rig with just buttons on the handlebars. Like I want a panda to show up on a screen and hold up a blinking left signal, that'd be so badass

So I was just searching for recent technological devices for bicycles and I landed on this cool website that mentions something I've never even thought of: turning signals for bikes! Epic isn't it?
Have you heard of such a thing, want it, seen it or perhaps even used before?

Share your thoughts, much thanks in advance!

I am so glad that some bikers are being hyped for having a turning signal light to use on their bikes while some car drivers doesn't mind using it even though they have it installed on their car. Hahahaha

I am so glad that some bikers are being hyped for having a turning signal light to use on their bikes while some car drivers doesn't mind using it even though they have it installed on their car. Hahahaha

I hate to say this but turn signals on a bicycle is completely useless. First off the lights they use for such a think a bikes is too small due to trying to reduce weight and size to fit a on a bike; second, because the lights are so small it squishes the opposing arrows to close together and the arrows are too small in size making it difficult to determine what the light is saying; in addition the lights aren't bright enough for daytime operation.

Look if everyone took the time to learn hand signals, which a child can learn so an adult shouldn't have any issues, and teach hand signals again in driver ed classes, there would be no confusion as to what the cyclists was trying to do. But laziness prevails in much of America and thus no one wants to use hand signals just as motorists don't want to use them either, and eventually the cyclist with such a light wouldn't use it either.

I hate to say this but turn signals on a bicycle is completely useless. First off the lights they use for such a think a bikes is too small due to trying to reduce weight and size to fit a on a bike; second, because the lights are so small it squishes the opposing arrows to close together and the arrows are too small in size making it difficult to determine what the light is saying; in addition the lights aren't bright enough for daytime operation.

Look if everyone took the time to learn hand signals, which a child can learn so an adult shouldn't have any issues, and teach hand signals again in driver ed classes, there would be no confusion as to what the cyclists was trying to do. But laziness prevails in much of America and thus no one wants to use hand signals just as motorists don't want to use them either, and eventually the cyclist with such a light wouldn't use it either.

I agree with you. The bike is too small to have signal lights. Hand signals are more effective and ideal for cyclist, since it can easily noticed by other road users. I think what cyclist needs is a reflector that can make them visible during night time.

Remote control bike turning rear laser light is best cool signal lights for cycling,provide 180 degree visual security,which achieve function of left/right turning,braking alarming,safety laser light,etc function by the remote control fixed on bike handlebar to control the rear light.

Remote control bike turning rear laser light is best cool signal lights for cycling,provide 180 degree visual security,which achieve function of left/right turning,braking alarming,safety laser light,etc function by the remote control fixed on bike handlebar to control the rear light.

I have actually seen those where I live at night and I got to say...they're useless! All instances that I saw one was the cyclist was riding in the city with the usual city lights, the laser markings on the pavement were so dim they were useless, and when the cyclist came under a street light or some other bright light source the markings disappeared altogether, and if the cyclist turned the outside marker would fade away but the inside marker grew a bit brighter. And I saw one at night while it was raining, the street and store lights were all glaring off the wet streets, I didn't even realize the guy was using a laser tail light until he hit a dark section then I barely saw one of lines as I was passing him, but it was entirely useless except for the tail light functioning as a regular tail light.

And if you check out extremely bright laser pointers you'll find out that the batteries don't last long at all, and all those things are doing is putting out a pinprick of light, now try to make that same technology make a two 3 foot lines plus generate a light and you discover you'll be eating batteries so fast you'll be lucky to get a 30 minute bike ride in!

All the pictures I could find with these things working were done by places trying to push their product which of course they make the videos look really good, but in real life they fall far short of expectations. I find it odd that with our technology they haven't developed something that would project a blindly, ok fine, extremely bright laser that would even show up in the daytime, maybe the battery technology isn't there yet, or it would be cost prohibitive.

I had seen one bike with a turn signal. It was cute because it looked like a red LED light with the shape of an arrow that signals to the right and probably the arrow is reversed when it is going to the left. But in my whole life of being in the streets and observing bikes and motorcycles, that is the only bike that I had seen with a turn signal. Contrary to other comments, it's not useless though and I think it's an added safety measure for bikers.

Well for me, I think hands signal is much more effective, this light signals for bike is looks like just additional accessories for bike, and it's looks cool but still I'll go for hands signal. besides bike is too small to have that, and I think if the government found this accessories or turn signals for bike they will regulate it. and it's gonna be additional expense.