cool weather gear report

"pam_in_sc" <[email protected]> wrote

> Part of what made it
> less fun today was that my eyes were watering from the cold wind a lot
> and I couldn't enjoy the scenery as much as I usually do. I'm wondering
> about ski goggles, but I will have to figure out where I might try some
> on around here.

Ski goggles work, but they cut down on peripheral vision a lot. I don't
wear them until it gets down into the single digits.

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:38:21 GMT, "Peter Cole"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<xtxjd.582321$8_6.356732@attbi_s04>:

>Balaclavas work well. A thin one is usually all you need to keep ears and
>face warm.

True. Also you can roll them up into a hat if it is slightly warmer.
A Buff is also good, when combined with a woolen hat.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Here in the mountains of New Hampshire the early morning temp. is in the low 30's range. I usually can only get out for an hr or two at a time but have found the following clothing to work for me.
For the upper body I use;
PI makes a mico fleece gator for the head,
a long sleeve jersey,
wind breaker, I add a fleece vest if it's really cold.
wind proof gloves with a thin liner glove.
For the lower half;
a pair of PI sugar knickers (they seem a tad warmer then regular knickers),
a pair of wind & water resistant pants,
booties (love the booties!)

I'm going to try wool socks, a l/s undershirt, really warm gloves & a balaclava as soon as the temp drops which according to the weather reports is tomorrow.:(

pam_in_sc <[email protected]> wrote:

> My problem isn't fogging, it is water droplets collecting on the outside
> of my glasses when riding in fog.

Get cycling gloves with the terry cloth thumbs, and use them to wipe
the outside of your glasses. It works pretty well.

"pam_in_sc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Here in western South Carolina fall just hit. I went out to ride this
> morning around 7:30 am and turned back twice to add more warmth. It was
> 46 degrees and foggy.

What's the rush? Have an extra cuppa and head out a bit later. You'll
still make it back for a hot lunch. Give the thermometer and more
importantly, the ground-hugging fog a chance to rise.

psycholist wrote:

> I'm a huge fan of knickers. They're very versatile. They can easily
> go from a sunny, high 40s day up to the low 70s and the'll be
> comfortable. But I hate bibs and it's hard to find knickers that
> aren't bib knickers. PI used to make some. I bought 3 pair that
> I've worn for years and years now.

Voler has knickers on sale right now. Try www.velowear.com, sign up for the
mailing list, and get some for $50.

I wear knickers a lot too. They're my most versatile pants, good for about the
temperature range you mentioned. Below 50 I'm usually in full tights, but if I
get caught out it's no problem.

Material makes a difference. Really wicky stuff, like the Drylete or Dryline or
whatever it's called (both Hind and Voler have it), has a wider temperature
range. It can go thicker without getting too warm.

Matt O.

In article <[email protected]>,
Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:
>Voler has knickers on sale right now. Try www.velowear.com, sign up for the
>mailing list, and get some for $50.

Knickers are great. They fit much more nicely than tights. I wear thin
knickers (like Voler) for weather in the 55-70F range. In 45-55F weather,
I wear thermal knickers. I will wear full tights in colder or rainy weather.
Most European companies make thermal knickers. Among US companies, I've only
seen thermal knickers from Cannondale.

matabala wrote:

> What's the rush? Have an extra cuppa and head out a bit later. You'll
> still make it back for a hot lunch. Give the thermometer and more
> importantly, the ground-hugging fog a chance to rise.

If I get out by 8 am on a Saturday I can ride for several hours before
my husband and daughter even know I am gone (my son gets up early but
just wants to play on his computer and not be bothered). It is better
for family harmony than long rides when there are family things to be done.

Pam