Cool weather gear.

jkyle

Nov 9, 2010
Morning all.

I could really use some help on putting together gear appropriate for cool weather riding. I live in Los Angeles, near the coast. So cool weather means around 50-65 Fahrenheit (10-18 Celsius).

I have

- An undershirt layer like this.
- Knee and Elbow warmers like this.
- full fingered gloves
- Pearl-Izumi socks
- No sleeve jersey

This gear is perfect most of the year in LA since it rarely goes below 65 and usually warms up to 70+ by noon.

But during those couple of months where it's 60 and below, my toes sometimes go numb and I get a chill (particularly when descending).

So I'm looking for gear to add to this that'll be _slightly_ warmer for these days but definitely not hard core winter gear.

Any tips/recommendations appreciated!

10-18 C ?! Jealous, up here in the PNW(west coast BC in canada) average morning hovers just above 0...

anyways if percipitation is not an issue you may be fine just getting a short sleeve jersey and pair that with some fleece lined arm warmers and get some lined leg warmers as well to pair with a pair of shorts. and to keep your toes warm you can use either toe covers or full on booties.

for that temperature range i think you are making a storm on a glass of water so to speak

I use my ski socks when my feet get cold. If you don't ski look at the Smartwool or Hot Chili's. Make sure you get the thick ones.

For temperatures 50 to 55 thin sleeved top & thin trousers, 55 to 60 a thin short sleeved top & shorts, add a cooling fan to the handlebars for 65 and at 70 you need air-con to stop yourself melting or just stop riding 'cause it's WAY TOO HOT to do anything more strenuous than breathing.

Originally Posted by jkyle .

Morning all.

I could really use some help on putting together gear appropriate for cool weather riding. I live in Los Angeles, near the coast. So cool weather means around 50-65 Fahrenheit (10-18 Celsius).

I have

- full fingered gloves
- Pearl-Izumi socks
- No sleeve jersey

This gear is perfect most of the year in LA since it rarely goes below 65 and usually warms up to 70+ by noon.

But during those couple of months where it's 60 and below, my toes sometimes go numb and I get a chill (particularly when descending).

So I'm looking for gear to add to this that'll be _slightly_ warmer for these days but definitely not hard core winter gear.

Sounds like all you really need to add is a long sleeve jersey and some toe covers for your shoes, and you'll be set.

I also wear a pair of tights over my shorts in 50 to 65F weather, but I see a lot of riders around here that don't use tights till it gets below 50F.

In that temperature I ride in short/short with maybe some armwarmers if its close to 50 F.

You won't need more than a long sleeve jersey and some toe warmers in that temperature.

Temp is only a part of the weather equation. A dry, sunny and calm day at 55 F feels much different than a cloudy, damp and breezy one. Also, I consider how I plan to ride when dressing. If it's just an easy ride (no-sweat), I will tend to dress warmer.

For the longer rides, the real dilemma is how much to wear in order to be comfortable during warm-up since most of it will have to be carried later in the day. Also, if the weather forecast is uncertain, it's important to be prepared. A number of the veteran guys here use rear racks to carry the warmers/vest/jacket/headgear; much easier than trying to stuff it all in the jersey pockets. The extra pound or two for the rack is trivial compared to the comfort it enables.

In your climate you only need to add a long sleeve jersey and some tights to your wardrobe. Use what you already have and add these in layers. You can remove the outer layer if it warms up. You could also add a wind stopper jacket if you really feel the need.

As the temperatures continue to drop, it is a great time to organize your cold weather gear. Whether you enjoy winter or merely endure it, you will find it easier if you are organized. Set aside a couple of hours, follow these tips, and you will be ready for Old Man Winter to arrive.

David Abraham

Thanks for all the tips!

I knew I'd get a bit of chiding about how temperate my region is, hehe. I have some toe covers on the way and I'm going to pick up a long sleeve jersey.

I like a nice performance wool blend jersey for cooler weather... but then again I'm a bit biased since that's who I work for... but seriously, if you haven't tried sports wool you are missing out and now is the time to get a real feel for it. Also, a nice cap under your helmet covering your ears is key!! that an shoe booties!

Nice thing is your roads are bikeable in the winter!! some folks are already hanging up their bikes and taking out skies and showshoes...

- Richard

Thanks for all the tips!

I knew I'd get a bit of chiding about how temperate my region is, hehe. I have some toe covers on the way and I'm going to pick up a long sleeve jersey.
well, in the coast the apparent air temperature preceived by you is lower than the given temperature in numbers. You will be ok with a long sleeve jersey and full fingers gloves,

60 degrees? You call that cold?

I live in northern Indiana; right now it is 36 degrees. Today when I ride I will wear a Nashbar tight, a pair of nylon (adidas), a Pearl Izumi base layer, topped with a long sleeve Louis Garneau shirt and a Gore Phantom jacket. I found some padded gloves and a beanie for under my helmet. And I wear booties over my clip less shamanos. I'm good to go. I'm also a freaking billboard.

Last winter I rode down to 5 degrees (-4 windchill).

Get some 3/4 length tights, a long sleeved baselayer shirt and a windstopper jacket, and some wool ski socks at REI. Loosen up your shoes so that you can clench your toes. Pull the socks up over the tights and you are good to go.

If the warmers work for you you won't need the long-sleeved stuff. I hate warmers cause they fall down on me.

5 degrees? you call that cold? I commuted for 4 winters here in Fairbanks at temps down to -50. I had a short range though, only about 5 miles before I lost too much heat. Here's a fun one: I stopped at the video store to drop off a movie and here comes another rider. He grins and says " at least no mosquito's!" That night it was in the -50 range. It is all relative.

u must be joking surely, u want to try a few months in england. im so jealous, lol /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Morning all.

I have

- full fingered gloves
- Pearl-Izumi socks
- No sleeve jersey

As others have said there are issues other than temperature.

Polypro long sleeved underware for a top. Polypro gloves. Windbreaker. Plastic bags over my socks. That would give me several hours in 50 degree weather. Cold rain coming down a hill would ruin my day.