"Coolest" Helmets

Yankee27

Jul 23, 2006
After having watched the Tour for three weeks and seeing dozens of different helmets I'm wondering which single helmet is the coolest for both comfort and style combined?

Several that come to mind are the Giro Atmos, Bell Ghisallo, Bell Sweep, and Specialized Decibel.

I currently wear a Bell Citi but it's not as cool as I would like in either category, especially during the summer months.

Who, out there, has the "coolest" helmet? :rolleyes:

Yankee27 said:
After having watched the Tour for three weeks and seeing dozens of different helmets I'm wondering which single helmet is the coolest for both comfort and style combined?

Several that come to mind are the Giro Atmos, Bell Ghisallo, Bell Sweep, and Specialized Decibel.

I currently wear a Bell Citi but it's not as cool as I would like in either category, especially during the summer months.

Who, out there, has the "coolest" helmet? :rolleyes:

I think the cool depends on a person's tastes. I like the Bell Sweep R, looks fast before I even put it on, and it has many many vents to cool you off.

The coolest looking helmet is the one seen used by lots of aussie racing chicks... The LIMAR 909

909.jpg

cPritch67 said:
I think the cool depends on a person's tastes. I like the Bell Sweep R, looks fast before I even put it on, and it has many many vents to cool you off.
Went to the LBS today and tried on the Giro Atmos, Specialized Decibel, amd Bell Ghisallo and Sweep R.

I liked the Sweep R the best for both fit and style so I ordered one in Blue/Silver. It fits great and is sharp as a tack.

Should have it by the weekend. :D

We have to thank Greg Lemond for the range of over-priced and un-necessary helmets that have now replaced the once perfectly acceptable and adequate leather versions.

The cost of packaging probably exceeds that of the actual product. :mad:

I suppose we should at least be thankful that the absurdly shaped handlebars that Lemond favoured have now been discarded.

Zeco2 said:
We have to thank Greg Lemond for the range of over-priced and un-necessary helmets that have now replaced the once perfectly acceptable and adequate leather versions.

The cost of packaging probably exceeds that of the actual product. :mad:

I suppose we should at least be thankful that the absurdly shaped handlebars that Lemond favoured have now been discarded.
I will assume this is sarcasm, otherwise the first part is beyond stupid.

House said:
I will assume this is sarcasm, otherwise the first part is beyond stupid.

No sarcasm intended, at least for the first part.

I may be wrong but the arrival of 'hardshell' helmets seemed to correspond with Greg Lemond's usage but whether that was before or after his hunting exploits I know not (any hint of sarcasm intended).

The previously adopted 'soft' helmets, if made with leather and suitably padded, were perfectly able to provide adequate protection. The chin straps needed replacing from time to time but the actual helmet was durable, lasting and indeed, apart from the buckle, made of re-cycleable materials.

I would agree that some products on the market at that time were pretty much worthless, nothing more than a thin plastic skin with a synthetic sponge filler.

The quality leather helmets were available at a fraction of the prices charged for today's specimens and were sold without packaging, again another saving on natural resources.

I realise of course that after deducting the production costs of the helmet (the manufacturing process must spit them out like peas from a pod) and the colourful packaging, a good portion of the selling price goes towards team sponsorship.

Sorry but if you really think the old "string of sausages" provided "adequate protection" then you either already have brain damage from an accident or simply don't care about having a chance to not have a severe head injury when you crash. I suggest you do some research on helmets and come back to this thread admitting how horribly wrong you are.

Of course perhaps you are an example of Darwinism about to take place.

House said:
Sorry but if you really think the old "string of sausages" provided "adequate protection" then you either already have brain damage from an accident or simply don't care about having a chance to not have a severe head injury when you crash. I suggest you do some research on helmets and come back to this thread admitting how horribly wrong you are.

Of course perhaps you are an example of Darwinism about to take place.

'Research' can be used to justify many things including nuclear power or invading Iraq. :rolleyes:

I speak from personal experience. I raced from 1959 to 1984 and my worst injury was to my hip when I slid along a wet road. I refer you to the other thread. :)

Zeco2 said:
'Research' can be used to justify many things including nuclear power or invading Iraq. :rolleyes:

I speak from personal experience. I raced from 1959 to 1984 and my worst injury was to my hip when I slid along a wet road. I refer you to the other thread. :)
How many car rides have you had since your last bad injury? Plane rides? Should we chuck all real safety measures since you haven't got hurt. Only an idiot thinks leather helmets are as safe as the current ones. Please don't waste my time with another inane, unintelligent response.

P.S.- The first part is pretty ironic considering you making claims about some article in the other helmet thread. Don't you hate it when your own words bite yourself in the ass? LOL

House said:
How many car rides have you had since your last bad injury? Plane rides? Should we chuck all real safety measures since you haven't got hurt. Only an idiot thinks leather helmets are as safe as the current ones. Please don't waste my time with another inane, unintelligent response.

P.S.- The first part is pretty ironic considering you making claims about some article in the other helmet thread. Don't you hate it when your own words bite yourself in the ass? LOL

Your resorting to offensive comments does nothing to further your case. You quote research, I could do the same, demonstrating the opposite conclusion. However, I choose to balance my opinion from my own experience.

I wonder if you by chance have any vested interest in the manufacture or sale of the overpriced polystyrene flower pots?

Zeco2 said:
Your resorting to offensive comments does nothing to further your case. You quote research, I could do the same, demonstrating the opposite conclusion. However, I choose to balance my opinion from my own experience.

I wonder if you by chance have any vested interest in the manufacture or sale of the overpriced polystyrene flower pots?
Wow, nice response, saying absolutely nothing. I guess your own experience is much greater then all of the studies, all of the injuries, etc, in cycling. Just face the fact that you are some old man who can't come to grips with progress. An old man who is talking a lot of junk and got it thrown back in his face. Your last sentence just bears out what I have said. nothing of value so you come up with some BS like that. Obviously your "string of sausages" did not prevent the brain damage you obviously have.

House said:
Wow, nice response, saying absolutely nothing. I guess your own experience is much greater then all of the studies, all of the injuries, etc, in cycling. Just face the fact that you are some old man who can't come to grips with progress. An old man who is talking a lot of junk and got it thrown back in his face. Your last sentence just bears out what I have said. nothing of value so you come up with some BS like that. Obviously your "string of sausages" did not prevent the brain damage you obviously have.

I have the advantage over you that, at 64, I have the experience. Maybe, in 30 years time I will, perhaps, consider myself an 'old man'. You obviously cannot debate a subject without resorting to childish and insulting terminolgy.

PS: The word is "bull ****" and you should know. :)

Zeco2 said:
I have the advantage over you that, at 64, I have the experience. Maybe, in 30 years time I will, perhaps, consider myself an 'old man'. You obviously cannot debate a subject without resorting to childish and insulting terminolgy.

PS: The word is "bull ****" and you should know. :)
Nice response, still no leg to stand on old man? Still talking out of your ass? Still avoiding my questions that rip your pathetic defense to shreds? You would know ********...your kids smell it every time you walk into a room.

House said:
Nice response, still no leg to stand on old man? Still talking out of your ass? Still avoiding my questions that rip your pathetic defense to shreds? You would know ********...your kids smell it every time you walk into a room.

Not so. :D

Thank God for those overpriced polystyrene flower pots! I was in a mountain bike race where I was bucked up and over my handlebars. I landed head first onto a boulder and layed in a ditch. The loud impact scared me very much as it could've been my bones breaking. The loud pop was infact the helmet breaking as it absorbed the impact. The helmet cracked all way through in 5 different places where the vents join. Just like the bumper of a modern day car. A car's bumper also is filled with polystyrene. I had x-rays done on my ribs, neck, back, and hand. Missed three days of work. I could not turn my neck or move it for a week and regained full motion after a month. I got away with only a broken finger which I'm still hoping to get full range of motion. I can only imagine if I had been wearing one of those leather base ball helmets. There would have been no shock absorbed and my body would've taken all the impact. Result could've been a broken neck, back, a crushed disc or something.
I have a wife and a little mouth to feed so in the big picture, the $70 helmet was well worth it. Even if I had paid $100 which is what my helmet cost me that I use when on my road bike.

Zeco - luckily for you, you haven't needed to put this to the test. If you think you don't need one of these flower pots don't use one. You might as well cancel your health insurance too. You'll be able to save even more money there too!

Zeco2 said: