coolmax alta jersey?

Gerrit Van Wijk

Guest
All jersey makers claim to have the perfect bicycle jersey. Cool, super wicking, super comfy, non
smelly, uv blocking. I have several bike- general sport- baselayer -hiking- shirts. Made from all
kind of stuff, even wool. From nonames to damn expensive. Adidas, craft, nike, helly hansen,
castelli. They all fall short because they are uncomfy, to warm, don't wick fast enough or stay wet.

The only jersey I like sofar is made from coolmax. (It works even better with a löffler
polypropyleen net undershirt www.loeffler.at )

What jersey do you like for hot summer rides? Is coolmax alta or polartec powerdry any good? Does
anyone even make a jersey from coolmax alta or powerdry?

"gerrit van wijk" <[email protected]> wrote in news:b8ugp4$do5uf$1
@ID-176374.news.dfncis.de:
> What jersey do you like for hot summer rides? Is coolmax alta or polartec powerdry any good? Does
> anyone even make a jersey from coolmax alta or powerdry?

Personally, I like waffle or grid knit fabrics. The alternating thin/thick fabric gives you great
ventilation, but is still durable and protects you from the sun. I especially like Castelli's
MicroSpitech grid knit fabric which stretches so you can wear it snug without binding.

I do see Coolmax Alta on many low-to-mid range jerseys (in USA bike shops). I haven't been very
impressed by those, though it could just be the low end construction quality. The fabric seems
thicker and less breathable than the waffle knit fabrics.

> What jersey do you like for hot summer rides? Is coolmax alta or polartec powerdry any good? Does
> anyone even make a jersey from coolmax alta or powerdry?

Riding in >100 degree weather in Arizona, I like coolmax alta the best. I have yet to cook in it
yet, (just make sure you keep drinking water or nothing works).

OT, but coolmax socks are the best thing ever, and I don't mean just for athletics - I wear coolmax
"dress" socks every day.

http://tinyurl.com/av8o

news:[email protected]...

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "gerrit van wijk" <[email protected]> wrote in news:b8ugp4$do5uf$1
>>
> Personally, I like waffle or grid knit fabrics. The alternating thin/thick fabric gives you great
> ventilation, but is still durable and protects you from the sun. I especially like Castelli's
> MicroSpitech grid knit fabric which stretches so you can wear it snug without binding.
>
> I do see Coolmax Alta on many low-to-mid range jerseys (in USA bike shops). I haven't been very
> impressed by those, though it could just be the low end construction quality. The fabric seems
> thicker and less breathable than the waffle knit fabrics.

I have a PI mesh type jersey that works pretty well in hot weather. I also have a couple of thin,
kind of fuzzy, Coolmax jerseys (don't know if it's Alta). Coolmax wicks so well, that the
evaporative effect can chill you on a downhill run, even on a hot & humid day.

What I wear a lot are those $10 Coolmax t-shirts (like Duofold). If it's a short ride where I don't
need pockets, I'll just go with those.

I have a bunch of other (synthetic) jerseys that I never wear any more, the fabrics are just not as
comfortable, and these are relatively new PI and Voler.

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "gerrit van wijk" <[email protected]> wrote in news:b8ugp4$do5uf$1
> >>
> > Personally, I like waffle or grid knit fabrics. The alternating thin/thick fabric gives you
> > great ventilation, but is still durable and protects you from the sun. I especially like
> > Castelli's MicroSpitech grid knit fabric which stretches so you can wear it snug without
> > binding.
> >
> > I do see Coolmax Alta on many low-to-mid range jerseys (in USA bike shops). I haven't been very
> > impressed by those, though it could just be the low end construction quality. The fabric seems
> > thicker and less breathable than the waffle knit fabrics.
>
> I have a PI mesh type jersey that works pretty well in hot weather. I also have a couple of thin,
> kind of fuzzy, Coolmax jerseys (don't know if it's Alta). Coolmax wicks so well, that the
> evaporative effect can chill you on a downhill run, even on a hot & humid day.
>
> What I wear a lot are those $10 Coolmax t-shirts (like Duofold). If it's a short ride where I
> don't need pockets, I'll just go with those.

How do you avoid the static issue with these shirts? I like them because they are lightweight, cool,
and inexpensive but after a couple hours they cling to everything.

I've taken to wearing some slightly more expensive synthetic t-shirts (mountain hard-wear has
some nice ones, and Performance has a great sale on Hind shirts ( http://tinyurl.com/b0ch ) that
work well too.

Sam

"Sam Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> writes:

> > What I wear a lot are those $10 Coolmax t-shirts (like Duofold). If it's a short ride where I
> > don't need pockets, I'll just go with those.
>
> How do you avoid the static issue with these shirts? I like them because
they
> are lightweight, cool, and inexpensive but after a couple hours they cling
> everything.

I sweat.

I can't justify paying big bucks for a shirt made of a fancy "wicking" fabric for hot weather, when
just removing the shirt entirely does the best "wicking" of all.

The whole idea is to have your sweat evaporate in such a way that it cools you: having it soaked
into a fabric from which it then evaporates will cool the fabric, which in the absolute best case
will only cool you exactly as much as no shirt at all, and you'll never get to 100% efficiency
unless the shirt is of an extremely tight cut, which usually are the super-expensive ones. It does
protect you from the sun, but if the shirt is of a darker color than your skin, this just makes
you even hotter, and unless you wear long-sleeved shirts, you have to deal with sun on skin in
some way anyhow.

I use a sponge tied to the end of a stick to apply sun-block to my back, and I've yet to find a
shirt that keeps me as cool as none at all. That said, I do have a few inexepensive wicking shirts
for the not-so-hot riding.

> Not a good idea! I don't know many riders who believe
that drilling a
> hole in a frame tube is a reasonable concept. I assume
the rivnut was
> securely tightened and painted to prevent motion,
corrosion and water
> intrusion. Normally a water bottle thread is brazed or
welded into
> the tube, thereby becoming a structural reinforcement for
the hole in
> the tube. A rivnut is not doing anything for strength and
is not part
> of the tube and I suspect it will loosen with time, having
no preload.

I've been using stainless steel pop rivets and rivnuts for nearly 30 years with no problems. They do
have to be installed tightly. A dab of silicone keeps corrosion at bay.

However, as Mike mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if some modern bicycle tubes are too thin to
support a water bottle with a rivet.

Matt O.