Cop attacks Bicycle Messenger

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Aug 11, 2005.

  1. http://tinyurl.com/7rsaa

    I sense that this guy always wanted to bash heads under protection of
    a police badge. This is not his only clash.

    Jobst Brandt
     
    Tags:


  2. Cheto

    Cheto Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p3NKe.8711$p%[email protected]
    > http://tinyurl.com/7rsaa
    >
    > I sense that this guy always wanted to bash heads under protection of
    > a police badge. This is not his only clash.
    >
    > Jobst Brandt


    Sure sounds like it to me too. Hopefully this latest incident will get him
    the boot.

    Cheto
     
  3. jj

    jj Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:22:17 -0700, "Cheto" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    ><[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:p3NKe.8711$p%[email protected]
    >> http://tinyurl.com/7rsaa
    >>
    >> I sense that this guy always wanted to bash heads under protection of
    >> a police badge. This is not his only clash.
    >>
    >> Jobst Brandt

    >
    >Sure sounds like it to me too. Hopefully this latest incident will get him
    >the boot.
    >
    >Cheto


    Actually that might be a bad idea. Then he'll be free to freelance. It
    might be better to strongly censure him and get him some anger management
    classes and keep him on the force where they can make best use of his, uh
    'talents'...er I mean, keep a lid on it. ;-)

    jj
     
  4. Bob the Cow

    Bob the Cow Guest

    "jj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    [snipped someone's opinion that a road-raging cop should be fired
    >
    > Actually that might be a bad idea. Then he'll be free to freelance. It
    > might be better to strongly censure him and get him some anger management
    > classes and keep him on the force where they can make best use of his, uh
    > 'talents'...er I mean, keep a lid on it. ;-)


    That kind of a "talent" is the LAST thing a police force needs. Cops need
    to be IN CONTROL of a situation and their response to it in order to be
    effective. This guy was the antithesis of being in control. The last job
    opening at the cop shop in my town of 26,000 found the Chief and the public
    service commissioners sifting through the resumes of nearly 150 qualified
    candidates.

    This guy is NOT needed with a badge in his possession.
     
  5. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "Cheto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p3NKe.8711$p%[email protected]
    >> http://tinyurl.com/7rsaa
    >>
    >> I sense that this guy always wanted to bash heads under protection of
    >> a police badge. This is not his only clash.
    >>
    >> Jobst Brandt

    >
    > Sure sounds like it to me too. Hopefully this latest incident will get
    > him the boot.
    >
    > Cheto

    Sounds like the cop is trying to compensate for some shortcoming. Power mad
    aggro jerk-type.
     
  6. jj

    jj Guest

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:03:06 -0500, "Bob the Cow" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >"jj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:p[email protected]
    >[snipped someone's opinion that a road-raging cop should be fired
    >>
    >> Actually that might be a bad idea. Then he'll be free to freelance. It
    >> might be better to strongly censure him and get him some anger management
    >> classes and keep him on the force where they can make best use of his, uh
    >> 'talents'...er I mean, keep a lid on it. ;-)

    >
    >That kind of a "talent" is the LAST thing a police force needs. Cops need
    >to be IN CONTROL of a situation and their response to it in order to be
    >effective. This guy was the antithesis of being in control. The last job
    >opening at the cop shop in my town of 26,000 found the Chief and the public
    >service commissioners sifting through the resumes of nearly 150 qualified
    >candidates.
    >
    >This guy is NOT needed with a badge in his possession.


    Probably I should have added my little half-sarcastic smiley, but couldn't
    find it today. I'm still in favor of at least trying job ordered mandatory
    anger mgmt while they've got him still of the force. I'd give him some time
    off to get acclimated - how's that? No active duty until he's had 10
    classes? Just dumping him ain't helpin' nobody. ;-)

    jj
     
  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    jj <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm still in favor of at least trying job ordered mandatory
    >anger mgmt while they've got him still of the force. I'd give him some time
    >off to get acclimated - how's that? No active duty until he's had 10
    >classes? Just dumping him ain't helpin' nobody. ;-)


    And, once they do let him back onto active duty, try to arrange for him
    to spend most of his time near a few dojos or something - if he's looking
    for a fight, might as well put him somewhere where he won't have trouble
    finding one, no?
    Of course, let him figure out for himself why he ended up getting put
    in that part of town.

    This is the type of story that really needs to end with somebody telling
    the 911 operator "Somebody claiming to be a cop attacked me, please send
    a real cop to arrest him before I have to kill him".


    dave

    --
    Dave Vandervies [email protected]
    After all, you could just be rather inefficient at finding ways of
    calling people liars.
    --Richard Heathfield roasts a troll in comp.lang.c
     
  8. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Gooserider" wrote: Sounds like the cop is trying to compensate for some
    shortcoming. Power mad aggro jerk-type.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is a personality type well known in police circles. In a good
    department, they try to screen them out in the hiring process, and, if they
    occasionally hire an officer like that, they take measures to retrain or
    eliminate him/her (though I've never heard of a "her" like that.) In some
    departments, like San Francisco, the city has to pay out a lot of large
    settlements because the police brass protect "their own."
     
  9. Leo Lichtman writes:

    >> Sounds like the cop is trying to compensate for some shortcoming.
    >> Power mad aggro jerk-type.


    > This is a personality type well known in police circles. In a good
    > department, they try to screen them out in the hiring process, and,
    > if they occasionally hire an officer like that, they take measures
    > to retrain or eliminate him/her (though I've never heard of a "her"
    > like that.) In some departments, like San Francisco, the city has
    > to pay out a lot of large settlements because the police brass
    > protect "their own."


    In fact the worst case a while back was the assistant police chief
    Fagan's son and a fellow officer who liked to beat heads of socially
    less well defended citizens. It made a big and expensive stink.

    http://www.aclunc.org/aclunews/news0309/scandal.html
    http://tinyurl.com/cnr8c
    http://www.brasscheck.com/cm/

    More recently:

    http://www.pamfonline.org

    .... and you want these guys to rehabilitate violent police officers?

    Jobst Brandt
     
  10. Bob the Cow

    Bob the Cow Guest

    "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]

    > This is a personality type well known in police circles. In a good
    > department, they try to screen them out in the hiring process,


    Here's a hypothetical scenario for discussion:

    Suppose you are pulled over by a cop. Would you rather the cop had been a
    bully in high school, or the victim of bullies?
     
  11. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <p3NKe.8711$p%[email protected]>,
    [email protected] writes:

    > http://tinyurl.com/7rsaa


    Of all the various types of riding & riders, bicycle
    messengers seem to be the most picked-on.


    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca
     
  12. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Bob the Cow" wrote: (clip) Suppose you are pulled over by a cop. Would
    you rather the cop had been a bully in high school, or the victim of
    bullies?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    No smiley, so you must be serious. Well, I'm not falling for your false
    dichotomy. I would rather be pulled over by a well balanced, properly
    trained officer, as most of them are. If you go into a restaurant for a
    meal, would you rather die of food poisoning or brain injury from slipping
    on a wet floor?
     
  13. Bob the Cow

    Bob the Cow Guest

    "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > "Bob the Cow" wrote: (clip) Suppose you are pulled over by a cop. Would
    > you rather the cop had been a bully in high school, or the victim of
    > bullies?
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > No smiley, so you must be serious. Well, I'm not falling for your false
    > dichotomy.


    Curses -- foiled again.
     
  14. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Leo Lichtman wrote:
    > "Bob the Cow" wrote: (clip) Suppose you are pulled over by a cop. Would
    > you rather the cop had been a bully in high school, or the victim of
    > bullies?
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > No smiley, so you must be serious. Well, I'm not falling for your false
    > dichotomy. I would rather be pulled over by a well balanced, properly
    > trained officer, as most of them are. If you go into a restaurant for a
    > meal, would you rather die of food poisoning or brain injury from slipping
    > on a wet floor?


    When I go, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my
    grandfather.
    PAUSE
    Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
    <rim shot>

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt
     
Loading...
Loading...