Cop attacks Bicycle Messenger

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:22:17 -0700, "Cheto" <[email protected]>
wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:p3NKe.8711$p%[email protected]...
>> http://tinyurl.com/7rsaa
>>
>> I sense that this guy always wanted to bash heads under protection of
>> a police badge. This is not his only clash.
>>
>> Jobst Brandt

>Sure sounds like it to me too. Hopefully this latest incident will get him
>the boot.
>
>Cheto

Actually that might be a bad idea. Then he'll be free to freelance. It
might be better to strongly censure him and get him some anger management
classes and keep him on the force where they can make best use of his, uh
'talents'...er I mean, keep a lid on it. ;-)

jj

"jj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
[snipped someone's opinion that a road-raging cop should be fired

> Actually that might be a bad idea. Then he'll be free to freelance. It
> might be better to strongly censure him and get him some anger management
> classes and keep him on the force where they can make best use of his, uh
> 'talents'...er I mean, keep a lid on it. ;-)

That kind of a "talent" is the LAST thing a police force needs. Cops need
to be IN CONTROL of a situation and their response to it in order to be
effective. This guy was the antithesis of being in control. The last job
opening at the cop shop in my town of 26,000 found the Chief and the public
service commissioners sifting through the resumes of nearly 150 qualified
candidates.

This guy is NOT needed with a badge in his possession.

"Cheto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p3NKe.8711$p%[email protected]...
>> http://tinyurl.com/7rsaa
>>
>> I sense that this guy always wanted to bash heads under protection of
>> a police badge. This is not his only clash.
>>
>> Jobst Brandt

> Sure sounds like it to me too. Hopefully this latest incident will get
> him the boot.
>
> Cheto

Sounds like the cop is trying to compensate for some shortcoming. Power mad
aggro jerk-type.

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:03:06 -0500, "Bob the Cow" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"jj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:p[email protected]...
>[snipped someone's opinion that a road-raging cop should be fired
>>
>> Actually that might be a bad idea. Then he'll be free to freelance. It
>> might be better to strongly censure him and get him some anger management
>> classes and keep him on the force where they can make best use of his, uh
>> 'talents'...er I mean, keep a lid on it. ;-)

>That kind of a "talent" is the LAST thing a police force needs. Cops need
>to be IN CONTROL of a situation and their response to it in order to be
>effective. This guy was the antithesis of being in control. The last job
>opening at the cop shop in my town of 26,000 found the Chief and the public
>service commissioners sifting through the resumes of nearly 150 qualified
>candidates.
>
>This guy is NOT needed with a badge in his possession.

Probably I should have added my little half-sarcastic smiley, but couldn't
find it today. I'm still in favor of at least trying job ordered mandatory
anger mgmt while they've got him still of the force. I'd give him some time
off to get acclimated - how's that? No active duty until he's had 10
classes? Just dumping him ain't helpin' nobody. ;-)

jj

In article <[email protected]>,
jj <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm still in favor of at least trying job ordered mandatory
>anger mgmt while they've got him still of the force. I'd give him some time
>off to get acclimated - how's that? No active duty until he's had 10
>classes? Just dumping him ain't helpin' nobody. ;-)

And, once they do let him back onto active duty, try to arrange for him
to spend most of his time near a few dojos or something - if he's looking
for a fight, might as well put him somewhere where he won't have trouble
finding one, no?
Of course, let him figure out for himself why he ended up getting put
in that part of town.

This is the type of story that really needs to end with somebody telling
the 911 operator "Somebody claiming to be a cop attacked me, please send
a real cop to arrest him before I have to kill him".

dave

--
Dave Vandervies [email protected]
After all, you could just be rather inefficient at finding ways of

"Gooserider" wrote: Sounds like the cop is trying to compensate for some
shortcoming. Power mad aggro jerk-type.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is a personality type well known in police circles. In a good
department, they try to screen them out in the hiring process, and, if they
occasionally hire an officer like that, they take measures to retrain or
eliminate him/her (though I've never heard of a "her" like that.) In some
departments, like San Francisco, the city has to pay out a lot of large
settlements because the police brass protect "their own."

Leo Lichtman writes:

>> Sounds like the cop is trying to compensate for some shortcoming.
>> Power mad aggro jerk-type.

> This is a personality type well known in police circles. In a good
> department, they try to screen them out in the hiring process, and,
> if they occasionally hire an officer like that, they take measures
> to retrain or eliminate him/her (though I've never heard of a "her"
> like that.) In some departments, like San Francisco, the city has
> to pay out a lot of large settlements because the police brass
> protect "their own."

In fact the worst case a while back was the assistant police chief
Fagan's son and a fellow officer who liked to beat heads of socially
less well defended citizens. It made a big and expensive stink.

http://www.aclunc.org/aclunews/news0309/scandal.html
http://tinyurl.com/cnr8c
http://www.brasscheck.com/cm/

More recently:

http://www.pamfonline.org

.... and you want these guys to rehabilitate violent police officers?

Jobst Brandt

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> This is a personality type well known in police circles. In a good
> department, they try to screen them out in the hiring process,

Here's a hypothetical scenario for discussion:

Suppose you are pulled over by a cop. Would you rather the cop had been a
bully in high school, or the victim of bullies?

"Bob the Cow" wrote: (clip) Suppose you are pulled over by a cop. Would
you rather the cop had been a bully in high school, or the victim of
bullies?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No smiley, so you must be serious. Well, I'm not falling for your false
dichotomy. I would rather be pulled over by a well balanced, properly
trained officer, as most of them are. If you go into a restaurant for a
meal, would you rather die of food poisoning or brain injury from slipping
on a wet floor?

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Bob the Cow" wrote: (clip) Suppose you are pulled over by a cop. Would
> you rather the cop had been a bully in high school, or the victim of
> bullies?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> No smiley, so you must be serious. Well, I'm not falling for your false
> dichotomy.

Curses -- foiled again.

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Bob the Cow" wrote: (clip) Suppose you are pulled over by a cop. Would
> you rather the cop had been a bully in high school, or the victim of
> bullies?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> No smiley, so you must be serious. Well, I'm not falling for your false
> dichotomy. I would rather be pulled over by a well balanced, properly
> trained officer, as most of them are. If you go into a restaurant for a
> meal, would you rather die of food poisoning or brain injury from slipping
> on a wet floor?

When I go, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my
grandfather.
PAUSE
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
<rim shot>

Regards,
Bob Hunt