COPD / antioxidant levels

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doe, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Doe

    Doe Guest

    Respirology. 2004 Mar;9(1):38-42. Links

    The effects of antioxidants on exercise-induced lipid peroxidation in patients with COPD.

    Agacdiken A, Basyigit I, Ozden M, Yildiz F, Ural D, Maral H, Boyaci H, Ilgazli A, Komsuoglu B.

    Department of Cardiology, University Faculty of Medicine, Kocaeli, Turkey.

    The effects of antioxidants on exercise-induced lipid peroxidation in patients with COPD AGACDIKEN
    A, BASYIGIT I, OZDEN M, YILDIZ F, URAL D, MARAL H, BOYACI H, ILGAZLI A, KOMSUOGLU B. Respirology
    2004; 9: 38-42Objective: The oxidant-antioxidant balance plays an important role in the pathogenesis
    of COPD. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the effects of exercise, as an oxidative
    stress factor on the oxidant-antioxidant balance and to investigate whether short-term antioxidant
    treatment affects lipid peroxidation products. Methodology: Twenty-one stable COPD patients and 10
    control subjects were included in the study. Symptom-limited exercise tests were performed by all
    subjects. Blood was collected before and 1 h after exercise in control subjects and before, 1 and 3
    h after exercise in COPD patients, for analysis of malondialdehyde (MDA), reduced glutathione (GSH)
    and vitamin E (VE) levels. VE and vitamin C treatments were added to the regular bronchodilator
    therapy in 10 COPD patients for 1 month. After the treatment period, an exercise test was performed
    and blood was collected again for MDA, GSH and VE levels. Results: Baseline GSH and VE levels were
    significantly lower in the COPD group when compared with the control subjects. There was no
    statistically significant difference in MDA levels between the two groups. In the COPD group, MDA
    levels 3 h after exercise were significantly higher than at baseline. In contrast there were no
    significant differences in MDA, VE and GSH levels in the control group after exercise. VE and MDA
    levels increased significantly after exercise in COPD patients but there was no difference in GSH
    levels. Baseline exercise time was significantly lower in the COPD group than in the controls. In 10
    COPD patients who were given antioxidant therapy, their exercise time increased significantly and
    there was no increase in MDA and VE levels after the repeated exercise test. Conclusions:
    Antioxidant levels were significantly lower in COPD patients than in control subjects. In these
    patients, exercise results in more significant oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation than in
    control subjects and antioxidant therapy may decrease lipid peroxidation following exercise and
    improve exercise capacity.

    PMID: 14982600 [PubMed - in process]

    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  2. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

    "doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Respirology. 2004 Mar;9(1):38-42. Links
    >

    > The effects of antioxidants on exercise-induced lipid peroxidation in
    patients
    > with COPD.

    Come on Tommy - what's COPD ?

  3. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: COPD / antioxidant levels
    >From: "Manky Badger" [email protected]
    >Date: 2/27/2004 3:15 PM Mountain Standard Time
    >

    >"doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >m03.aol.com...
    >> Respirology. 2004 Mar;9(1):38-42. Links
    >>

    >> The effects of antioxidants on exercise-induced lipid peroxidation in
    >patients
    >> with COPD.
    >
    >Come on Tommy - what's COPD ?

    I told you ...

    Have some success .. then .. ask me a stupid question ..

    You believe you are somehow .. successful .. ?

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  4. markd

    markd Guest

    Tom, what succes have you had? I read your aspirin page, to which you allude, and there are multiple
    flaws of logic and science apparent in the way you put info togather and the conclusions you reach.
    Do you have another example of success? Perhaps more fundimental, to what goal do you feel some
    success and how do you measure it?

  5. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: COPD / antioxidant levels
    >From: [email protected]
    >Date: 2/28/2004 10:44 AM Mountain Standard Time
    >
    >Tom, what succes have you had? I read your aspirin page, to which you allude, and there are
    >multiple flaws of logic and science apparent in the way you put info togather and the conclusions
    >you reach. Do you have another example of success? Perhaps more fundimental, to what goal do you
    >feel some success and how do you measure it?

    Stay away from .. me ..

    Dig ..? Understand .. ? Comprendez .. ?

    You have shown too much stupidity to EVER be taken .. seriously ..

    I'd ask you how that .. felt ..

    But since you don't actually UNDERSTAND HOW STUPID YOU REALLY .. are ..

    Who loves ya. Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  6. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

    "doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Subject: Re: COPD / antioxidant levels From: [email protected] Date: 2/28/2004 10:44 AM Mountain
    > >Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    > >
    > >Tom, what succes have you had? I read your aspirin page, to which you allude, and there are
    > >multiple flaws of logic and science apparent in the way you put info togather and the conclusions
    > >you reach. Do you have another example of success? Perhaps more fundimental, to what goal do
    you
    > >feel some success and how do you measure it?
    >
    > Stay away from .. me ..
    >
    > Dig ..? Understand .. ? Comprendez .. ?
    >
    > You have shown too much stupidity to EVER be taken .. seriously ..
    >
    > I'd ask you how that .. felt ..
    >
    > But since you don't actually UNDERSTAND HOW STUPID YOU REALLY .. are ..

    But I bet he knows what COPD stands for, Tom

  7. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

    "Manky Badger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > But since you don't actually UNDERSTAND HOW STUPID YOU REALLY .. are ..
    >

    > But I bet he knows what COPD stands for, Tom

    And I know he's heard of cytoadhesion.