COPD / antioxidant levels

Doe

Guest
Respirology. 2004 Mar;9(1):38-42. Links

The effects of antioxidants on exercise-induced lipid peroxidation in patients with COPD.

Agacdiken A, Basyigit I, Ozden M, Yildiz F, Ural D, Maral H, Boyaci H, Ilgazli A, Komsuoglu B.

Department of Cardiology, University Faculty of Medicine, Kocaeli, Turkey.

The effects of antioxidants on exercise-induced lipid peroxidation in patients with COPD AGACDIKEN
A, BASYIGIT I, OZDEN M, YILDIZ F, URAL D, MARAL H, BOYACI H, ILGAZLI A, KOMSUOGLU B. Respirology
2004; 9: 38-42Objective: The oxidant-antioxidant balance plays an important role in the pathogenesis
of COPD. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the effects of exercise, as an oxidative
stress factor on the oxidant-antioxidant balance and to investigate whether short-term antioxidant
treatment affects lipid peroxidation products. Methodology: Twenty-one stable COPD patients and 10
control subjects were included in the study. Symptom-limited exercise tests were performed by all
subjects. Blood was collected before and 1 h after exercise in control subjects and before, 1 and 3
h after exercise in COPD patients, for analysis of malondialdehyde (MDA), reduced glutathione (GSH)
and vitamin E (VE) levels. VE and vitamin C treatments were added to the regular bronchodilator
therapy in 10 COPD patients for 1 month. After the treatment period, an exercise test was performed
and blood was collected again for MDA, GSH and VE levels. Results: Baseline GSH and VE levels were
significantly lower in the COPD group when compared with the control subjects. There was no
statistically significant difference in MDA levels between the two groups. In the COPD group, MDA
levels 3 h after exercise were significantly higher than at baseline. In contrast there were no
significant differences in MDA, VE and GSH levels in the control group after exercise. VE and MDA
levels increased significantly after exercise in COPD patients but there was no difference in GSH
levels. Baseline exercise time was significantly lower in the COPD group than in the controls. In 10
COPD patients who were given antioxidant therapy, their exercise time increased significantly and
there was no increase in MDA and VE levels after the repeated exercise test. Conclusions:
Antioxidant levels were significantly lower in COPD patients than in control subjects. In these
patients, exercise results in more significant oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation than in
control subjects and antioxidant therapy may decrease lipid peroxidation following exercise and
improve exercise capacity.

PMID: 14982600 [PubMed - in process]

------

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

>Subject: Re: COPD / antioxidant levels
>From: "Manky Badger" [email protected]
>Date: 2/27/2004 3:15 PM Mountain Standard Time
>

>"doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040227131219.10267.00000403@mb-
>m03.aol.com...
>> Respirology. 2004 Mar;9(1):38-42. Links
>>

>> The effects of antioxidants on exercise-induced lipid peroxidation in
>patients
>> with COPD.
>
>Come on Tommy - what's COPD ?

I told you ...

Have some success .. then .. ask me a stupid question ..

You believe you are somehow .. successful .. ?

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

Tom, what succes have you had? I read your aspirin page, to which you allude, and there are multiple
flaws of logic and science apparent in the way you put info togather and the conclusions you reach.
Do you have another example of success? Perhaps more fundimental, to what goal do you feel some
success and how do you measure it?

>Subject: Re: COPD / antioxidant levels
>From: [email protected]
>Date: 2/28/2004 10:44 AM Mountain Standard Time
>
>Tom, what succes have you had? I read your aspirin page, to which you allude, and there are
>multiple flaws of logic and science apparent in the way you put info togather and the conclusions
>you reach. Do you have another example of success? Perhaps more fundimental, to what goal do you
>feel some success and how do you measure it?

Stay away from .. me ..

Dig ..? Understand .. ? Comprendez .. ?

You have shown too much stupidity to EVER be taken .. seriously ..

I'd ask you how that .. felt ..

But since you don't actually UNDERSTAND HOW STUPID YOU REALLY .. are ..

Who loves ya. Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

"doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Subject: Re: COPD / antioxidant levels From: [email protected] Date: 2/28/2004 10:44 AM Mountain
> >Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
> >
> >Tom, what succes have you had? I read your aspirin page, to which you allude, and there are
> >multiple flaws of logic and science apparent in the way you put info togather and the conclusions
> >you reach. Do you have another example of success? Perhaps more fundimental, to what goal do
you
> >feel some success and how do you measure it?
>
> Stay away from .. me ..
>
> Dig ..? Understand .. ? Comprendez .. ?
>
> You have shown too much stupidity to EVER be taken .. seriously ..
>
> I'd ask you how that .. felt ..
>
> But since you don't actually UNDERSTAND HOW STUPID YOU REALLY .. are ..

But I bet he knows what COPD stands for, Tom