Copper anti-seize question



F

Fred

Guest
After the recent titanium thread I have a question on copper
anti-seize grease.

Does it cause galvanic corrosion to aluminum or other metals? Copper
is way below aluminum in potential. Don't know about titanium.

Thanks
 
W

Werehatrack

Guest
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 02:24:56 GMT, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

>After the recent titanium thread I have a question on copper
>anti-seize grease.
>
>Does it cause galvanic corrosion to aluminum or other metals? Copper
>is way below aluminum in potential. Don't know about titanium.


Although I have not used the copper version often, in the instances
where I have employed it and then had occasion to disassemble the item
after a significant period in service, I found no evidence that the
copper or the metals in contact with it were corroded at of near the
points of contact. Beyond that margin, it would be hard to establish
whether the copper was involved in any corrosion.

The grey/silver versions of anti-sieze formulas generally have
powdered aluminum in them, though there is at least one which uses
powdered nickel instead. I have used the powdered nickel version in
the past, and found it to have no advantage over the cheaper aluminum
compound.

I have also seem some mechanics employ such anti-sieze compounds in
engine assembly as a coating on the faces of cam lobes and lifters;
knowing what's in them, I would caution against this application. I
would additionally caution against using any anti-sieze preparation
containing metal particles as a bearing grease or grease additive, for
obvious reasons.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Some gardening required to reply via email.
Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.
 
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 04:45:33 GMT, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 02:24:56 GMT, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>After the recent titanium thread I have a question on copper
>>anti-seize grease.
>>


> . . . anti-sieze formulas . . .


> . . . anti-sieze . . .


> . . . anti-sieze preparation . . .



Dear Werehatrack,

Why can't students remember simple spelling rules?

I before E except after C (receive and deceive, but not fallacies,
vacancies, science, species, or society) . . .

. . . and in words like neighbor, weigh, weight, freight, weird,
sleigh, sleight, height, being, seeing, boeing, feisty, gneiss,
heifer, schneider, deign, eisenhower, protein, seine, eight, heist,
rein, einstein, either, surfeit, frankenstein, codeine, sovereign,
heir, alzheimer, seismic, neither, stein, lei, deity, foreign, sheila,
vein, obeisance, keister, sheik, feint, and a few other pesky
exceptions, such as seize.

In the days before spell-checkers, I wrote a master's thesis that
wasted time on the subject of embarassment in the works of Mark Twain.

An embarassing spelling mistake was pointed out on a few dozen pages
of my first draft.

Luckily, my advisor was kindly enough to mention the missing -r- only
once in our conversations.

"It is a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a
word." -- Andrew Jackson

Cheirrs,

Carl Fogel
 
On Oct 27, 10:45 pm, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 02:24:56 GMT, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
> >After the recent titanium thread I have a question on copper
> >anti-seize grease.

>
> >Does it cause galvanic corrosion to aluminum or other metals? Copper
> >is way below aluminum in potential. Don't know about titanium.Although I have not used the copper version often, in the instances

> where I have employed it and then had occasion to disassemble the item
> after a significant period in service, I found no evidence that the
> copper or the metals in contact with it were corroded at of near the
> points of contact. Beyond that margin, it would be hard to establish
> whether the copper was involved in any corrosion.
>
>


To the list:

TiPrep is a copper-compound anti seize lube. Profile ships a tiny
smpler of it with their Ti BB set. I've used it (cro-moly crank arms
to Ti spindle for several years and have had no problem with corrosion
or seizure.

I bought an 8 oz can of the stuff from J&B and I use it on everything
now.

later

jn

"Thursday"
 
W

Werehatrack

Guest
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 23:37:47 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 04:45:33 GMT, Werehatrack
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 02:24:56 GMT, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>After the recent titanium thread I have a question on copper
>>>anti-seize grease.
>>>

>
>> . . . anti-sieze formulas . . .

>
>> . . . anti-sieze . . .

>
>> . . . anti-sieze preparation . . .

>
>
>Dear Werehatrack,
>
>Why can't students remember simple spelling rules?
>
>I before E except after C (receive and deceive, but not fallacies,
>vacancies, science, species, or society) . . .
>
> . . . and in words like neighbor, weigh, weight, freight, weird,
>sleigh, sleight, height, being, seeing, boeing, feisty, gneiss,
>heifer, schneider, deign, eisenhower, protein, seine, eight, heist,
>rein, einstein, either, surfeit, frankenstein, codeine, sovereign,
>heir, alzheimer, seismic, neither, stein, lei, deity, foreign, sheila,
>vein, obeisance, keister, sheik, feint, and a few other pesky
>exceptions, such as seize.


And "caffeine", a misspelling of which left me with several dozen
shirts with the following on them:

I will not brew Decaf.
Decaf is the mind-killer.
Decaf brings the little sleep
that leads to total oblivion.
I will embrace my caffiene.
I will brew my beverages and
let them flow through me,
and when they are gone,
I will remain...alert.

The next batch, printed a few hours later, had the error corrected.

There's a reason for my .sig


--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Some gardening required to reply via email.
Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.
 
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:14:42 GMT, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>> . . . anti-sieze formulas . . .

>>
>>> . . . anti-sieze . . .

>>
>>> . . . anti-sieze preparation . . .


>There's a reason for my .sig


>Typoes are a feature, not a bug.


Dear Mr. Bond,

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy
action.

Cheers,

A. Goldfinger
 

Similar threads

L
Replies
5
Views
568
W
T
Replies
2
Views
243
Cycling Equipment
Phil, Squid-in-Training
P