copper-ease / threadlock discovery

Ian Smith

Guest
You lot might already know this, but I recently discovered that two
staples of my bicycle maintenance toolkit are available in a new (to
me) format. Both are materials I find I suffer high wastage.
However, they are available (I discover) in pritt-stick like format,
which I think will make use much easier.

First up, copper-ease (generically - copper-filled anti-seize
grease). Loctite 8065 turns out to be copper and graphite anti-seize
grease. Also available in silver (well, aluminium).

More usefully, loctite also have threadlock in a range of grades also
in stick format. 248 is the blue handtools to dismantle, and 268 is
red need-to-heat to dismantle grade (they also have a thread sealer
but minimum strength grade). This I regard as very handy, compared to
drippy little tubes from which I seem to deliver as much to the floor
as the bolt.

Web page for the range:
http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_uk/index.cfm?pageid=524

I have to admit I've not actually used the threadlock - though I've
got some on order. The copper grease I have received, and it seems to
match teh description given.

Is this old news?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On 11 Jan 2006 20:58:39 GMT, Ian Smith <[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>You lot might already know this, but I recently discovered that two
>staples of my bicycle maintenance toolkit are available in a new (to
>me) format. Both are materials I find I suffer high wastage.
>However, they are available (I discover) in pritt-stick like format,
>which I think will make use much easier.

I didn't, but I do now, and very useful info it is, too. Thanks!

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Ian Smith wrote:
> You lot might already know this, but I recently discovered that two
> staples of my bicycle maintenance toolkit are available in a new (to
> me) format. Both are materials I find I suffer high wastage.
> However, they are available (I discover) in pritt-stick like format,
> which I think will make use much easier.
>
> First up, copper-ease (generically - copper-filled anti-seize
> grease). Loctite 8065 turns out to be copper and graphite anti-seize
> grease. Also available in silver (well, aluminium).

Didn't know that, thanks.

Copper antiseize is also available in a syringe form as Finish Line Ti
Prep. Overpriced though, like all FL stuff.

> More usefully, loctite also have threadlock in a range of grades also
> in stick format. 248 is the blue handtools to dismantle, and 268 is
> red need-to-heat to dismantle grade (they also have a thread sealer
> but minimum strength grade). This I regard as very handy, compared to
> drippy little tubes from which I seem to deliver as much to the floor
> as the bolt.

Did know that, bought a blue one from Halfrauds a while a go. Doesn't
half smell good! :)

I had to use it for a dodgy BB/shell. It's working perfectly now, but did
take longer than the 24 hours Loctite say it takes to fully cure (cup
moved on first ride). I recommend leaving it for at least 48 hours for
any important heavy duty application (that you don't want to use red for).

~PB

Ian Smith wrote:
> You lot might already know this, but I recently discovered that two
> staples of my bicycle maintenance toolkit are available in a new (to
> me) format. Both are materials I find I suffer high wastage.
> However, they are available (I discover) in pritt-stick like format,
> which I think will make use much easier.
>
> First up, copper-ease (generically - copper-filled anti-seize
> grease). Loctite 8065 turns out to be copper and graphite anti-seize
> grease. Also available in silver (well, aluminium).

I find an old toothbrush is perfect for applying an thin and even layer
of anti-seize onto threads without wastage or mess.

Anthony

in message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Ian Smith wrote:
>> You lot might already know this, but I recently discovered that two
>> staples of my bicycle maintenance toolkit are available in a new (to
>> me) format. Both are materials I find I suffer high wastage.
>> However, they are available (I discover) in pritt-stick like format,
>> which I think will make use much easier.
>>
>> First up, copper-ease (generically - copper-filled anti-seize
>> grease). Loctite 8065 turns out to be copper and graphite anti-seize
>> grease. Also available in silver (well, aluminium).

> Didn't know that, thanks.
>
> Copper antiseize is also available in a syringe form as Finish Line Ti
> Prep. Overpriced though, like all FL stuff.

Indeed. I got a litre of it from an engineering supply shop for less than
10cc of the Finish Line stuff from my LBS.

;; I can't work yanks out......
;; Why do they frown upon sex yet relish violence?
;; Deep Fried Lettuce

Pete Biggs wrote:

> Did know that, bought a blue one from Halfrauds a while a go. Doesn't
> half smell good! :)

Mind it doesn't put you in hospital, the fume from some products are
harmful, loctite retainer put me in hospital on 100% oxygen for several
days and left me with asthma, and I was working in open air!