Copper Tests Interpretation Needed.

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jorge, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. Jorge

    Jorge Guest

    Here are test results from my 44 lb. 7 year old Autistic son. His
    hair test shows very high copper, but his Copper Serum and
    Ceruloplasmin is within range. Do you think I should have him further
    tested to rule out Wilson's disease? I don't know why the hair test
    shows such high amounts, and if its means that its being excreted via
    the hair, or if its in the brain, thus the hair results? Any insight
    on what I should do for him would be appreciated.
    He is currently taking the following supplements:
    Vit. C (Ascorbic Acid) 850 mg day Pyridoxine (Vit b6) 300 mg
    day Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate 60 mg day Vit b-12 (Methyl)
    1000 mcg day Molybdenum 100 mg day (but I have
    increased starting today to 800 mg after reading that
    it may lower copper) Zinc Picolinate 78 mg Manganese
    (Gluconate) 10 mg Vit E 250 IU Cal/Mag 200/200 mg End
    of supplements Test Results: Test date 4-7-2004
    Elemental Analysis -Hair - Copper was at 140, with a
    reference range of 9.0-30.0, Test date 8-21-2003
    Elemental Analysis -Hair - Copper was at 71, with a
    reference range of
    9.-30.0, Copper, Serum = 92 ug/dL, with a limits range of
    70-155. (I was told that it should be close to 110 to be
    considered OK Ceruloplasmin was 19.1 mg/dL with a
    reference range of 16.2 - 35.6 Test date 1-14-2003
    Elemental Analysis -Hair - Copper was at 28.9, with a
    reference range of 9.0-23.0, Copper, Serum = 117 ug/dL,
    with a limits range of 70-155. (I was told that it should
    be close to 110 to be considered OK. Ceruloplasmin was
    23.1 mg/dL with a reference range of 16.2 - 35.6 Test
    date 5-10-2002 Elemental Analysis -Hair - Copper was at
    23, with a reference range of
    10.-16.0, Please reply to [email protected] Thanks in
    advance, DebbieG

    Tags:

  2. markd

    markd Guest

    You might want to review the contents of this page:

    * Hair Analysis: A Cardinal Sign of Quackery
    (updated 1/5/01)

    http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/hair.html

    >Here are test results from my 44 lb. 7 year old Autistic
    >son. His hair test shows very high copper, but his Copper
    >Serum and Ceruloplasmin is within range. Do you think I
    >should have him further tested to rule out Wilson's
    >disease? I don't know why the hair test shows such high
    >amounts, and if its means that its being excreted via the
    >hair, or if its in the brain, thus the hair results? Any
    >insight on what I should do for him would be appreciated.
    >He is currently taking the following supplements:
    >Vit. C (Ascorbic Acid) 850 mg day Pyridoxine (Vit b6) 300
    > mg day Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate 60 mg day Vit b-12
    > (Methyl) 1000 mcg day Molybdenum 100 mg day (but I
    > have increased starting today to 800 mg after reading
    > that it may lower copper) Zinc Picolinate 78 mg
    > Manganese (Gluconate) 10 mg Vit E 250 IU Cal/Mag
    > 200/200 mg End of supplements Test Results: Test date
    > 4-7-2004 Elemental Analysis -Hair - Copper was at 140,
    > with a reference range of 9.0-30.0, Test date 8-21-
    > 2003 Elemental Analysis -Hair - Copper was at 71, with
    > a reference range of
    >9.-30.0, Copper, Serum = 92 ug/dL, with a limits range of
    > 70-155. (I was told that it should be close to 110 to be
    > considered OK Ceruloplasmin was 19.1 mg/dL with a
    > reference range of 16.2 - 35.6 Test date 1-14-2003
    > Elemental Analysis -Hair - Copper was at 28.9, with a
    > reference range of 9.0-23.0, Copper, Serum = 117 ug/dL,
    > with a limits range of 70-155. (I was told that it should
    > be close to 110 to be considered OK. Ceruloplasmin was
    > 23.1 mg/dL with a reference range of 16.2 - 35.6 Test
    > date 5-10-2002 Elemental Analysis -Hair - Copper was at
    > 23, with a reference range of
    >8.-16.0, Please reply to [email protected] Thanks in
    > advance, DebbieG

  3. Larry Hoover

    Larry Hoover Guest

    "Jorge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Here are test results from my 44 lb. 7 year old Autistic
    > son. His hair test shows very high copper, but his Copper
    > Serum and Ceruloplasmin is within range. Do you think I
    > should have him further tested to rule out Wilson's
    > disease?

    He's already had that testing, IMHO, as his serum copper and
    ceruloplasmin have been measured.

    > I don't know why the hair test shows such high amounts,
    > and if its means that its being excreted via the hair, or
    > if its in the brain, thus the hair results?

    It could mean nothing more than you have copper pipes in
    your home. Hair records not only its environment when it was
    formed, but its environment thereafter. Washing his hair in
    copper-containing water could explain everything. Whatever
    might be in his hair from his blood is totally confounded by
    whatever might be deposited on his hair from the external
    environment. The valid measures are the blood measures.

    Focus on this:

    > Molybdenum 100 mg day (but I have increased starting today
    > to 800 mg after reading that it may lower copper) Zinc
    > Picolinate 78 mg

    That level of zinc intake is already sufficient to suppress
    copper uptake in a 150 lb. adult. I'm certain it's
    suppressing copper intake in your 44 lb. boy. If you look at
    the blood tests, the copper indexes are already both falling
    over time. If you don't back off on copper-suppressing
    minerals, you'll put him out-of-range low, if he isn't
    already. You only report hair analysis the last time around.

    > Test date 8-21-2003 Copper, Serum = 92 ug/dL, with a
    > limits range of 70-155. (I was told that it should be
    > close to 110 to be considered OK Ceruloplasmin was 19.1
    > mg/dL with a reference range of 16.2 - 35.6

    > Test date 1-14-2003 Copper, Serum = 117 ug/dL, with a
    > limits range of 70-155. (I was told that it should be
    > close to 110 to be considered OK. Ceruloplasmin was 23.1
    > mg/dL with a reference range of 16.2 - 35.6

  4. Jorge

    Jorge Guest

    Larry, Thanks for responding. Here is the hair results. And,
    yes, we have new copper pipes (unfortunately), but he does
    like to drink the water while bathing/getting wet which is
    why I'm worrying. Should I repeat the blood tests to be
    safe? He takes high zinc, because its a catalyst for the
    Amino Acids protocol he takes. If you have any more input,
    please don't hesitate to respond. Thanks.

    Hair Test Results: Test date 4-7-2004 Elemental Analysis -
    Hair - Copper was at 140, with a reference range of 9.0-
    30.0. Test date 8-21-2003 Elemental Analysis -Hair - Copper
    was at 71, with a reference range of
    9.-30.0, Test date 1-14-2003 Elemental Analysis -Hair -
    Copper was at 28.9, with a reference range of 9.0-23.0,
    Test date 5-10-2002 Elemental Analysis -Hair - Copper was
    at 23, with a reference range of
    10.-16.0

    news:<[email protected]>...