Coppi crankset and bottom bracket

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tony diggory, Jan 3, 2007.

1. tony diggory

tony diggory New Member

Hi, I've a Coppi San Remo from 2004, with mostly Shimano 105 stuff. I want to fit a new Hollowtech 105 compact chainset. The existing crankset is a 39-53 Coppi , which I need to remove with the BB. Can anyone confirm what tools I will need to do all that? I guess the bracket is also Italian. ??
    regards
    td

Tags:

2. The Evil Twin

The Evil Twin New Member

Coppi is just the label stamped on the crankset. Can you post a pic?
    You'll likely need a crankarm puller and a bottom bracket tool for whatever BB is there. It is likely italian threaded.

3. tony diggory

tony diggory New Member

ET,
    I took off both the threaded crank caps with an 8mm allen key. The bracket is hollow., so no crank pin as such. On the leftside, the inner ring (?) next to the frame is stamped Japan / Shimano BC 1.37_ 68. Inside the bracket I can see internal threads (see picture) and what appears to be some segmentation (8) in the tube.
    I guess this is telling me that this is NOT Italian, and the bracket is likely to be standard Shimano 105 kit. So, what do I need ...a crankarm puller and a bracket remover ? Any extra thoughts on what would be the right tools for the job?
    regards
    tony

4. The Evil Twin

The Evil Twin New Member

It looks like an Octalink crank, it's a Shimano. (8 splines in the crankarm).

You'll need an octalink crank puller and an octalink bottom bracket tool. The bracket threads are determined by the frame, not the crank manufactuer, so it is very likely italian (even most Taiwan-built frames use italian threading). You'll also need tools to install the other BB, and a good high-load torque wrench.

Honestly, you may consider getting a shop to do this, it doesn't make sense to buy all the tools for a one-shot servicing, and the shop should not charge you more than 1/2 hour - 1 hour labor.

5. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

You are correct ... the BB has "English" threads.

As noted, you will want the Octalink/ISIS BB tool + crank arm puller ... if you have an OLDER crank arm puller, put at least one penny/slug where the crank's bolt was removed from.

LIFU's BB tool is made from better metal than Park's ... and, the LIFU tool (if available) is probably less than half the cost.

You will need a NEW, specific, over-sized wrench to install the external BB cups of the Hollowtech II crankset ... make sure the BB shell's faces are SQUARE (they are usually faced during initial assembly, but sometimes they are not!) otherwise bearing wear is accelerated.

Find a friend who has some tools if you don't have them already ... but, treat him/her to lunch OR bring the soda/beer (as suits your taste) & snacks.

6. The Evil Twin

The Evil Twin New Member

how can you tell this from that picture?