COPS episode shows bike/vehicle accident

old age pensioner

Guest
this evening's FOX Network COPS TV show has a segment from Riverside County,
California that shows a bike rider being struck by a passing vehicle. The
episode description from the COPS website ( http://cops.com/ ): "A routine
traffic stop is abruptly interrupted when a cyclist is hit by a passing
vehicle. Deputy Jason Corey quickly contains the scene and calls for
assistance. Paramedics arrive within minutes to treat the victim. Meanwhile,
Deputy Corey questions the occupants of the vehicle that was involved in the
accident.
They all insist that they did not see the cyclist before the accident." The
website also has two graphic pictures of the incident - one of which
captures the wrecked bike tumbling through the air as the rider bounces off
of the car windshield, sliding off of the car hood. If interested, here is
a 41 meg file of the 7 minute episode:
http://www.dslreports.com/r0/downlo...2368ca01f20873d9fbf/COPS_Bicycle_Accident.wmv .
The bike accident starts at the 1 minute, 52 second point into the film and
just lasts a matter of seconds. The rest of the file is of the paramedics
arrival and talking to the car's occupants.

They have already switched over to next week, I could not find a link
back to prior episodes, and I was not logged in to view the video. Any
alternatives?

old age pensioner wrote:
> this evening's FOX Network COPS TV show has a segment from Riverside County,
> California that shows a bike rider being struck by a passing vehicle. The
> episode description from the COPS website ( http://cops.com/ ): "A routine
> traffic stop is abruptly interrupted when a cyclist is hit by a passing
> vehicle. Deputy Jason Corey quickly contains the scene and calls for
> assistance. Paramedics arrive within minutes to treat the victim. Meanwhile,
> Deputy Corey questions the occupants of the vehicle that was involved in the
> accident.
> They all insist that they did not see the cyclist before the accident." The
> website also has two graphic pictures of the incident - one of which
> captures the wrecked bike tumbling through the air as the rider bounces off
> of the car windshield, sliding off of the car hood. If interested, here is
> a 41 meg file of the 7 minute episode:
> http://www.dslreports.com/r0/downlo...2368ca01f20873d9fbf/COPS_Bicycle_Accident.wmv .
> The bike accident starts at the 1 minute, 52 second point into the film and
> just lasts a matter of seconds. The rest of the file is of the paramedics
> arrival and talking to the car's occupants.

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 21:55:40 -0500, "old age pensioner"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>this evening's FOX Network COPS TV show has a segment from Riverside County,
>California that shows a bike rider being struck by a passing vehicle. The
>episode description from the COPS website ( http://cops.com/ ): "A routine
>traffic stop is abruptly interrupted when a cyclist is hit by a passing
>vehicle. Deputy Jason Corey quickly contains the scene and calls for
>assistance. Paramedics arrive within minutes to treat the victim. Meanwhile,
>Deputy Corey questions the occupants of the vehicle that was involved in the
>accident.
>They all insist that they did not see the cyclist before the accident." The
>website also has two graphic pictures of the incident - one of which
>captures the wrecked bike tumbling through the air as the rider bounces off
>of the car windshield, sliding off of the car hood. If interested, here is
>a 41 meg file of the 7 minute episode:
>http://www.dslreports.com/r0/downlo...2368ca01f20873d9fbf/COPS_Bicycle_Accident.wmv .
>The bike accident starts at the 1 minute, 52 second point into the film and
>just lasts a matter of seconds. The rest of the file is of the paramedics
>arrival and talking to the car's occupants.

Funny how "not seeing something' means they were in the right. I was
struck by a car, I was too in a car. The other driver, and her
passenager said they didn't see a red light, so I was in the wrong.
Even with an independent witness, they still claimed it was my fault,
since they didn't see a red, they had to have a green.

Boobs,

tom

I heard some tire squealing before the impact, so they driver saw
something.

I would avoid trying to view the other videos on that site. They
requires you to install software that is illegal in Alaska.

old age pensioner wrote:
> Mike, I apologize - I didn't even think about having to be logged in to see
> the video. I've trimmed the film down to basically the actual accident and
> immediate police actions: 1 minute, 7 seconds, approx 6 meg. - and no log in
> required !
> http://www.vapshare.com/135314/bicycle_accident.html

They say , If you want to get away with murder run over a cyclist with your
car and say ya didn't see em
dave
http://www.noweldrecumbent.com

"Tom The Great" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 21:55:40 -0500, "old age pensioner"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>this evening's FOX Network COPS TV show has a segment from Riverside
>>County,
>>California that shows a bike rider being struck by a passing vehicle. The
>>episode description from the COPS website ( http://cops.com/ ): "A routine
>>traffic stop is abruptly interrupted when a cyclist is hit by a passing
>>vehicle. Deputy Jason Corey quickly contains the scene and calls for
>>assistance. Paramedics arrive within minutes to treat the victim.
>>Meanwhile,
>>Deputy Corey questions the occupants of the vehicle that was involved in
>>the
>>accident.
>>They all insist that they did not see the cyclist before the accident."
>>The
>>website also has two graphic pictures of the incident - one of which
>>captures the wrecked bike tumbling through the air as the rider bounces
>>off
>>of the car windshield, sliding off of the car hood. If interested, here
>>is
>>a 41 meg file of the 7 minute episode:
>>http://www.dslreports.com/r0/downlo...2368ca01f20873d9fbf/COPS_Bicycle_Accident.wmv
>>.
>>The bike accident starts at the 1 minute, 52 second point into the film
>>and
>>just lasts a matter of seconds. The rest of the file is of the paramedics
>>arrival and talking to the car's occupants.
>>

> Funny how "not seeing something' means they were in the right. I was
> struck by a car, I was too in a car. The other driver, and her
> passenager said they didn't see a red light, so I was in the wrong.
> Even with an independent witness, they still claimed it was my fault,
> since they didn't see a red, they had to have a green.
>
> Boobs,
>
> tom

"Tom The Great" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Funny how "not seeing something' means they were in the right. I was
> struck by a car, I was too in a car. The other driver, and her
> passenger said they didn't see a red light, so I was in the wrong.
> Even with an independent witness, they still claimed it was my fault,
> since they didn't see a red, they had to have a green.

I think you are reading too much into the scene as well as assuming that
the driver's reason was acceptable. The cop on the stop trying to get all of
the information.

He was most interested in determining whether or not the bike was crossing
traffic or riding with it. If it was the latter and he was hit when he swung
wide around the stopped cop/pulled over car then the driver would certainly
be charged with something [Maybe Bob Hunt could chime in].

On another Cops episode from Washington State with a similar accident the
cops pretty much determined automatically that the car made an unsafe pass
and caused the accident [I don't know what the proper highway traffic code
citation was] in the same way that in a rear end collision is always the
fault of the following driver - You can't claim the guy in front of you
stopped short. If you hit him your were following too closely.

I imagine the same thing applies to passing. If you hit the person [car,
bike or whatever] you were passing, you, by definition, made an unsafe pass.

If the cyclist was crossing traffic determining fault might be a bit more
of a question depending on who had the right of way etc. etc.

> They say , If you want to get away with murder run over a cyclist with
> your car and say ya didn't see em

I understand that it is a concern for cops on traffic stops that drivers
simply don't see the cop and hit them. There's a anti-DUI ad airing that
illustrates this.

What gets me about this is that these drivers don't see a honking big
brightly marked cruiser with newer ones having 5000 flashing red and blue
lights as well as xenon strobes????

How impaired do you have to be to not see, slow down, and be wary of
someone in front of you when you see cruiser? What chance does a cyclist
have if drivers can't see a police cruiser?

Of course in the Cops episode the apparent 'reason' the driver didn't see
the cyclist was that he was rubber-necking at the traffic stop.

"old age pensioner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> this evening's FOX Network COPS TV show has a segment from Riverside
> County, California that shows a bike rider being struck by a passing
> vehicle. The episode description from the COPS website (
> http://cops.com/ ): "A routine traffic stop is abruptly interrupted when a
> cyclist is hit by a passing vehicle. Deputy Jason Corey quickly contains
> the scene and calls for assistance. Paramedics arrive within minutes to
> treat the victim. Meanwhile, Deputy Corey questions the occupants of the
> vehicle that was involved in the accident.
> They all insist that they did not see the cyclist before the accident."
> The website also has two graphic pictures of the incident - one of which
> captures the wrecked bike tumbling through the air as the rider bounces
> off of the car windshield, sliding off of the car hood. If interested,
> here is a 41 meg file of the 7 minute episode:
> http://www.dslreports.com/r0/downlo...2368ca01f20873d9fbf/COPS_Bicycle_Accident.wmv .
> The bike accident starts at the 1 minute, 52 second point into the film
> and just lasts a matter of seconds. The rest of the file is of the
> paramedics arrival and talking to the car's occupants.

This was on a COPS episode? Sure hope there was a trailer park nearby. :)