Corbett - Am Bathach

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Lindsay, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    Tags:

  2. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Lindsay wrote:

    >Details of an easy Corbett in Glen Shiel can be found at:
    >http://caledoniahilltreks.blogspot.com

    Lindsay do you mind if I say something that has been bugging me about
    these trip reports of yours?

    It would be nice if we could get the text part of your report here
    rather than having to go following links to read it. Some people read
    this newsgroup off line so will never go there unless they read it
    here.

    I will take the liberty of posting the report of of your walk up Am
    Bathach here:

    <quote>
    The plan was to climb this Corbett in conjunction with the Munro
    Ciste Dubh but the weather was apparently to make a sudden change with
    a strong wind and heavy snow forecast.

    We set off from the A87 just west of the An Caorann Mor, the Right of
    Way to the remote Youth Hostel at Alltbeithe, and headed uphill,
    initially on a path, to the 734 Top before it descended slightly and
    crampons were required to cross the hard packed snow. From here we
    continued along the ridge to the summit of Am Bathach.

    The descent to the Bealach a'Choinich was pleasant walking with
    crampons down the snow covered ridge.

    The weather was beginning to deteriorate with the cloud base lowering
    so my client decided that she had had a good few days walking and that
    to continue in these deteriorating conditions with the strong
    possibility of failing to reach the summit of Ciste Dubh wasn't worth
    the effort. We therefore returned to the the start down An Caorann
    Beag with the cloud continuing to lower and the snow getting heavier.

    On our return to the car it was snowing fairly heavily so the decision
    by the client not to continue was obviously the correct one for her.
    </quote>

    It has been said that Am Bathach is the Corbett Munro baggers climb to
    claim they are keeping an open mind, when in fact all they are doing
    is trying to find a dry route to Ciste Dhubh. :)

  3. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from Phil Cook <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > It would be nice if we could get the text part of your report here
    > rather than having to go following links to read it. Some people read
    > this newsgroup off line so will never go there unless they read it
    > here.

    Me for one. I take the view that if people want their TRs read they
    should take the effort to make them easily available. It is a rare
    occasion indeed that I go on line to follow up a link.

    --
    Roger Chapman

  4. In message <[email protected]>, Roger
    <[email protected]> writes
    >The message <[email protected]>
    >from Phil Cook <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    >> It would be nice if we could get the text part of your report here
    >> rather than having to go following links to read it. Some people read
    >> this newsgroup off line so will never go there unless they read it
    >> here.

    >Me for one. I take the view that if people want their TRs read they
    >should take the effort to make them easily available. It is a rare
    >occasion indeed that I go on line to follow up a link.

    I get the impression that Lindsay is using these trip reports as a means
    of drumming up business for his 'adventure' company - I did consider
    putting a message in another thread to test whether he actually reads
    anyone else's messages.

    Isn't this just a form of spam - and isn't he just being a serial
    spammer?

    --
    Martin Richardson
    283/284 Munros - 0.35% to go 34/34 'Furths'- 0% to go

  5. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Martin Richardson wrote:
    > In message <[email protected]>, Roger
    > <[email protected]> writes
    >
    >> The message <mb6f22pve1uucn6hvqp5ck7b6hn[email protected]>
    >> from Phil Cook <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >>
    >>> It would be nice if we could get the text part of your report here
    >>> rather than having to go following links to read it. Some people read
    >>> this newsgroup off line so will never go there unless they read it
    >>> here.

    >> Me for one. I take the view that if people want their TRs read they
    >> should take the effort to make them easily available. It is a rare
    >> occasion indeed that I go on line to follow up a link.
    >>

    > I get the impression that Lindsay is using these trip reports as a means
    > of drumming up business for his 'adventure' company - I did consider
    > putting a message in another thread to test whether he actually reads
    > anyone else's messages.
    >
    > Isn't this just a form of spam - and isn't he just being a serial spammer?

    I've thought about this one as well. However, Lindsay does contribute to
    the NG in other threads too, and has helped me out in selecting a guide
    for Skye, so I'd say this isn't pure "spam" in the normal sense.

    druidh

  6. Theo

    Theo Guest

    "druidh" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]
    > Martin Richardson wrote:
    >> In message <[email protected]>, Roger
    >> <[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >>> The message <[email protected]>
    >>> from Phil Cook <[email protected]> contains these words:

    >>> Me for one. I take the view that if people want their TRs read they
    >>> should take the effort to make them easily available. It is a rare
    >>> occasion indeed that I go on line to follow up a link.
    >>>

    >> I get the impression that Lindsay is using these trip reports as a means
    >> of drumming up business for his 'adventure' company - I did consider
    >> putting a message in another thread to test whether he actually reads
    >> anyone else's messages.
    >>
    >> Isn't this just a form of spam - and isn't he just being a serial
    >> spammer?
    >>

    > I've thought about this one as well. However, Lindsay does contribute to
    > the NG in other threads too, and has helped me out in selecting a guide
    > for Skye, so I'd say this isn't pure "spam" in the normal sense.

    And I got good advice about descending Stob Coire Bhealaich. Lindsay knows
    several areas and is willing to advice others. /If/ it's spam : you don't
    have to watch it. You can go to the toilet instead :)

    --
    "Beannachd leibh"

    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

  7. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from Martin Richardson <[email protected]co.uk> contains these words:

    > >> It would be nice if we could get the text part of your report here
    > >> rather than having to go following links to read it. Some people read
    > >> this newsgroup off line so will never go there unless they read it
    > >> here.

    > >Me for one. I take the view that if people want their TRs read they
    > >should take the effort to make them easily available. It is a rare
    > >occasion indeed that I go on line to follow up a link.
    > >

    > I get the impression that Lindsay is using these trip reports as a means
    > of drumming up business for his 'adventure' company - I did consider
    > putting a message in another thread to test whether he actually reads
    > anyone else's messages.

    > Isn't this just a form of spam - and isn't he just being a serial
    > spammer?

    You would have thought he would have had the courtesy to respond to Phil
    if he wasn't just spamming but then there are several others of the 'why
    don't you waste time logging on to my website because I can't be arsed
    to post the details here persuasion' who might have been expected to
    comment if they actually read the ng they post to.

    --
    Roger Chapman

  8. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Roger wrote:
    > The message <[email protected]>
    > from Martin Richardson <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > > >Me for one. I take the view that if people want their TRs read they
    > > >should take the effort to make them easily available. It is a rare
    > > >occasion indeed that I go on line to follow up a link.
    > > >

    > > I get the impression that Lindsay is using these trip reports as a means
    > > of drumming up business for his 'adventure' company - I did consider
    > > putting a message in another thread to test whether he actually reads
    > > anyone else's messages.

    > > Isn't this just a form of spam - and isn't he just being a serial
    > > spammer?

    > You would have thought he would have had the courtesy to respond to Phil
    > if he wasn't just spamming but then there are several others of the 'why
    > don't you waste time logging on to my website because I can't be arsed
    > to post the details here persuasion' who might have been expected to
    > comment if they actually read the ng they post to.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Chapman

    You assume he logs on every day. I assume he's out in the hills
    somewhere. Lucky £$#* seems to be out all the time!!

    druidh

  9. In message <[email protected]>,
    druidh <[email protected]> writes

    >Roger wrote:
    >> The message <[email protected]>
    >> from Martin Richardson <[email protected]> contains these words:

    >> > I get the impression that Lindsay is using these trip reports as a means
    >> > of drumming up business for his 'adventure' company - I did consider
    >> > putting a message in another thread to test whether he actually reads
    >> > anyone else's messages.

    >> > Isn't this just a form of spam - and isn't he just being a serial
    >> > spammer?

    >> You would have thought he would have had the courtesy to respond to Phil
    >> if he wasn't just spamming but then there are several others of the 'why
    >> don't you waste time logging on to my website because I can't be arsed
    >> to post the details here persuasion' who might have been expected to
    >> comment if they actually read the ng they post to.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Roger Chapman

    >You assume he logs on every day. I assume he's out in the hills
    >somewhere. Lucky £$#* seems to be out all the time!!

    He does it for a living - we are just gentlemen (and lady) amateurs!

    --
    Martin Richardson
    509/1554 Marilyns - 67% to go 60/89 Donalds - 33% to go

  10. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    Apologies but I have been away.

    I have added my comments on my recent posting - Trip to Barrisdale.

    Again apologies for the delay in replying and to those that are
    offended by my postings. If offended please ignore my postings.

    Lindsay

    www.caledoniahilltreks.com