Cordless cyclocomputer & HRM - asking for trouble?

pysays

Aug 14, 2003
Does anyone have empiric experience of using a heart rate monitor and a cordless cyclocomputer (discrete units) simultaneously?

How likely is it that those units interfere each other. Could they more or less magically work just fine? Obviously, different product combinations have their own charasteristics. Considering to buy a cordless cyclocomputer in addition to my current Polar HRM (S120), am I asking for trouble?

I recently strapped on an old Polar HRM using a Nashbar transponder. I was also using a Cateye Cordless II computer. When I noticed my heartrate jumping to 273 while coasting down a rather steep hill. I began to suspect that something was amiss; especially since my maximum heartrate is around 185. More than likely my HRM was receiving the Cateye's transmission. I don't know if this would happen with a more up-to-date, fancy HRM.

Originally posted by pysays
Does anyone have empiric experience of using a heart rate monitor and a cordless cyclocomputer (discrete units) simultaneously?

How likely is it that those units interfere each other. Could they more or less magically work just fine? Obviously, different product combinations have their own charasteristics. Considering to buy a cordless cyclocomputer in addition to my current Polar HRM (S120), am I asking for trouble?

Originally posted by Mr. Earl
I recently strapped on an old Polar HRM using a Nashbar transponder. I was also using a Cateye Cordless II computer. When I noticed my heartrate jumping to 273 while coasting down a rather steep hill. I began to suspect that something was amiss; especially since my maximum heartrate is around 185. More than likely my HRM was receiving the Cateye's transmission. I don't know if this would happen with a more up-to-date, fancy HRM.

Was the interference regular or did it occur randomly? Some lack of precision is quite acceptable. On Polar's website it's annouced that "Polar OwnCode
Prevents cross-talk from other heart rate monitors". This might also affect the HRM's reliability concerning simultaneous use with a cyclocomputer. S120 on the other hand doesn't introduce such a feature. Maybe it's better to stick with corded cyclocomputers... or to buy a totally new cordless one which combines both cycling features and HRM options.

My HRM varied directly with speed. By moving my Polar watch close to my chest where it was somewhat protected from the cycling computer's transponder, I could get a much more realistic reading. My HRM, which worked perfectly fine with corded computers, was pretty much useless with this cordless computer. But as I pointed out, the HRM is rather old, and perhaps later models don't have this problem.

Thanks for your replies. I'm certainly going to get an old-school corded model, which even power lines won't interfere.