Corima Aero Clincher 12 or 18 spoke?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Webber Daniel, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Does anyone have any opinions on these wheels and whether 12 or 18 spokes would be better for
    time trials?

    cheers

    Dan

    Tags:

  2. Almost Fast

    Almost Fast Guest

    12 spokes should offer lower aero drag, all else equal.

    > Does anyone have any opinions on these wheels and whether 12 or 18 spokes would be better for
    > time trials?
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Dan

  3. Russell

    Russell Guest

    [email protected] (almost fast) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > 12 spokes should offer lower aero drag, all else equal.

    I dunno...didn't I read somewhere that higher spoke-count wheels may in fact be more aero, because
    the spokes "draft" each other, unlike a low spoke-count wheel, where the air closes back around the
    spoke, and the next spoke has to open up the air again, thereby creating more turbulance?

    Whatever the case, IMO all low spoke count does is save some weight

    wouldn't use or buy them, but I do think that "regular" wheels are better overall.

    Russell

  4. [email protected] (Russell) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I dunno...didn't I read somewhere that higher spoke-count wheels may in fact be more aero, because
    > the spokes "draft" each other, unlike a low spoke-count wheel, where the air closes back around
    > the spoke, and the next spoke has to open up the air again, thereby creating more turbulance?

    Exactly, this is why all my TT wheels are built with 40 spoke tandem rims.

    Drag is pretty trivial at this point. Corima has some sort of weight recommendation between the two
    wheels, I like my 12 spoke but I like my 3 and 4 spoke better.