Cork Spins

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Cod, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Cod

Cod New Member

I posted a similar ad to this some time ago. but here goes again!

I used to go for weekend spins with some buddies but they've all packed it in and I'm wondering if there are any leisure clubs in Cork who have regular weekend spins ,or are there other solo cyclists out there who'd like to get together? I see a few guys on their own on Saturday and Sunday mornings, particularly around the northern suburbs of Cork city. While there's an element of freedom in going solo, I'm starting to find it boring; it's also a bit safer to cycle in a bunch as cars must take more care in overtaking.

I was thinking of 2 to 3 hour spins on Sunday morning, starting from different locations each week. Pace would be not flat out but not rambling either, i.e enoug to get fit, but to give a chance to talk and take the odd glance at the scenery as well.
    If anyone is interested let me know. I'm on the verge of packing it in and taking up golf!! Or even spinning classes :(

Tags:

2. Terranova

Terranova New Member

Hi Cod,
    A newbie here, taking up cycling to keep fit after years of GAA. After 8 weeks into in I'm beginning to get hooked and looking for longer more varied spins. Currently longest is 60km. Wouldn't mind gettin organised and training a bit more regular. Dunno if your still interested as you posted some months back! at present I tend to cycle to/from home in Rochestown.:)

3. Cod

Cod New Member

Sorry for the delay, my broadband was out of action for a week or so.
    I'm still ploughing away, but I won't be around much for the next 2/3 weeks. There are 4 of us heading to the Pyrenees to take a look at some of the cols, but I'll be back in action from the 3rd of June. I usually go for a long spin on Wednesdays after work (4pm) and another longish spin on Sunday or Saturday, depesning on whether I've had a few pints the night before.:eek: I start from Blackpool direction but we can meet up anywhere that suits. I'll be heading out next Wednesday after work, but not again until Wednesday 6th. The next wekedn I'm free is the 16th June.

Let me know your availability and we can hook up for a spin...

4. Terranova

Terranova New Member

Really sorry for delay after you said that you wouldn't be around I didn't log in for a while. Basically I forgot. Apologies.
    I have been grinding away on my own, bar two short rides with tri-athlete friends who were more interested in 1 hour high intensity rides that long rides. I have been averaging about 1 or 2 (1.5hr plus) cycles midweek evening and possibly a long 100k + every weekend when possible. Averaging apporx 150-200k per week. Really enjoying the freedom of solo rides but finding it a bit boring. Lucky enough to have my bike for a few weekends in Kerry so got a few good mountain rides in.
    Just finished the Ring of Kerry charity cycle yesterday with not too much trouble. Had been building up for that so I am now looking for something else to train for the rest of the season. Great day out and even though I rode solo I met loads of people. Took the boredom out of it.
    A buddy mentioned getting involved in the Tour de Munster group but he or I don't know much about it?
    I will be out every week from now till the evenings close in so give me a shout and we can hook up if you're still interested.

5. trucker39

trucker39 New Member

I'm currently living in Cork city, and i was thinking of bringing my bike down here for the summer (i'm a kildare man). I might join ye if that's ok?

6. Terranova

Terranova New Member

No bother, I'll probably try to get out again thurs night if your interested. I'm not around this weekend though but will be out next week too if that suits. We can start from where-ever suits but generally I go from south city heading toward kinsale/bandon direction.

7. trucker39

trucker39 New Member

I won't be around for a couple of weeks unfortunetly, but i'll post here when/if i bring my bike down! I'm living beside UCC, and to be honest anywhere outside 200metres of the college i get lost!

8. Cod

Cod New Member

Hi lads, sorry about the delay in getting back. I've been touring around Europe in my camper van for the last 6 weeks. Got a few cycles in the Pyrenees, SPanish and French sides, great stuff. If either of ye fancy a cycle this week I was thinking of heading out onTuesday evening, ir if ye have any other ideas let me know.

9. trucker39

trucker39 New Member

Unfortunetly i'm just after moving back to Kildare, and i doubt i'll be back in Cork full-time until the new year. I'll post here if/when i am! Thanks anyways Cod.

10. teachie99

teachie99 New Member

I'll be there in about a year if anyone is still knocking around (got to get the bike and family back from Oz first!).