Corn Bread

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Brooke Dolara, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. I recently baked a loaf of corn bread using a recipe from
    Pillsbury Complete Cookbook, and was really unimpressed with
    the result. The bread came out really dry and crumbly. Since
    I want to avoid accountability, I'm blaming the recipe for
    my failure. Does anyone else find that Pillsbury breads and
    pastries come out really dry? Any suggestions for a moister,
    lighter corn bread would be greatly appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. Scott

    Scott Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Brooke Dolara) wrote:

    > I recently baked a loaf of corn bread using a recipe from
    > Pillsbury Complete Cookbook, and was really unimpressed
    > with the result. The bread came out really dry and
    > crumbly. Since I want to avoid accountability, I'm blaming
    > the recipe for my failure. Does anyone else find that
    > Pillsbury breads and pastries come out really dry? Any
    > suggestions for a moister, lighter corn bread would be
    > greatly appreciated.

    Reproducing the recipe would help for feedback purposes.

    There are many kinds of cornbread recipes--all cornmeal,
    with flour, with buttermilk, etc.

    The best cornbreads that I've made have all used a pre-
    heated cast iron skillet.

    I've been wanting to try Alton Brown's recipe; it's
    similar to some that I've used, except that I haven't
    added creamed corn:

    Creamed Corn Cornbread Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

     Recipe Summary

    Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes

    Yield: 8 servings   2 cups yellow cornmeal 1 teaspoon kosher
    salt 1 tablespoon sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1 cup buttermilk 2 eggs 1 cup
    creamed corn 2 tablespoons canola oil

    Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

    Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.

    In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking
    powder, and baking soda. Whisk together to combine well.

    In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and
    creamed corn, whisking together to combine thoroughly.
    Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and
    stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add more
    buttermilk to the batter.

    Add 2 tablespoons canola oil to the cast iron skillet.
    Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake until the
    cornbread is golden brown and springs back upon the
    touch, about 20 minutes.

    please mail OT responses only

  3. On 8 Mar 2004 09:10:23 -0800, [email protected] (Brooke Dolara)
    arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

    >I recently baked a loaf of corn bread using a recipe from
    >Pillsbury Complete Cookbook, and was really unimpressed
    >with the result. The bread came out really dry and crumbly.
    >Since I want to avoid accountability, I'm blaming the
    >recipe for my failure. Does anyone else find that Pillsbury
    >breads and pastries come out really dry? Any suggestions
    >for a moister, lighter corn bread would be greatly
    >appreciated.

    Try this:

    1 1/2 C. all purpose flour
    2/3 C. granulated sugar
    3/2 C. yellow or white corn meal 1 T. baking powder
    4/2 t. salt 1 1/4 C. milk 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    5/3 C. vegetable oil 3 T. butter, melted

    Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 8" square baking pan.

    Combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in
    medium bowl. Combine milk, eggs, vegetable oil and butter in
    small bowl; mix well. Add to flour mixture. Stir until just
    blended. Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake for 35 mins. or
    until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
    had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
    been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
    good dinner." Anonymous.

    To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

  4. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Brooke Dolara) wrote:
    >
    > > I recently baked a loaf of corn bread using a recipe
    > > from Pillsbury Complete Cookbook, and was really
    > > unimpressed with the result. The bread came out really
    > > dry and crumbly. Since I want to avoid accountability,
    > > I'm blaming the recipe for my failure. Does anyone else
    > > find that Pillsbury breads and pastries come out really
    > > dry? Any suggestions for a moister, lighter corn bread
    > > would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Reproducing the recipe would help for feedback purposes.
    >
    > There are many kinds of cornbread recipes--all cornmeal,
    > with flour, with buttermilk, etc.
    >
    > The best cornbreads that I've made have all used a pre-
    > heated cast iron skillet.
    >
    > I've been wanting to try Alton Brown's recipe; it's
    > similar to some that I've used, except that I haven't
    > added creamed corn:
    >
    > Creamed Corn Cornbread Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
    >
    > Recipe Summary
    >
    > Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
    >
    > Yield: 8 servings
    >
    > 2 cups yellow cornmeal 1 teaspoon kosher salt 1 tablespoon
    > sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder
    > 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1 cup buttermilk 2 eggs 1 cup
    > creamed corn 2 tablespoons canola oil
    >
    > Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
    >
    > Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.
    >
    > In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking
    > powder, and baking soda. Whisk together to combine well.
    >
    > In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and
    > creamed corn, whisking together to combine thoroughly.
    > Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and
    > stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add more
    > buttermilk to the batter.
    >
    > Add 2 tablespoons canola oil to the cast iron skillet.
    > Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake until the
    > cornbread is golden brown and springs back upon the
    > touch, about 20 minutes.

    I've been known to add creamed corn to whatever cornbread
    I'm making, and just adjust the other liquids so the batter
    is right. It's a haphazard method, but it always seems to
    come out just fine.

  5. Thanks a lot! I'll try it out.

  6. Maverick

    Maverick Guest

    "Terry Pulliam Burd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 8 Mar 2004 09:10:23 -0800, [email protected]
    > (Brooke Dolara) arranged random neurons, so they looked
    > like this:
    >
    > >I recently baked a loaf of corn bread using a recipe from
    > >Pillsbury Complete Cookbook, and was really unimpressed
    > >with the result. The bread came out really dry and
    > >crumbly. Since I want to avoid accountability, I'm
    > >blaming the recipe for my failure. Does anyone else find
    > >that Pillsbury breads and pastries come out really dry?
    > >Any suggestions for a moister, lighter corn bread would
    > >be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Try this:
    >
    > 1 1/2 C. all purpose flour
    > 2/3 C. granulated sugar
    > 1/2 C. yellow or white corn meal 1 T. baking powder
    > 1/2 t. salt 1 1/4 C. milk 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    > 1/3 C. vegetable oil 3 T. butter, melted
    >
    > Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 8" square baking pan.
    >
    > Combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and salt
    > in medium bowl. Combine milk, eggs, vegetable oil and
    > butter in small bowl; mix well. Add to flour mixture.
    > Stir until just blended. Pour into prepared baking pan.
    > Bake for 35 mins. or until toothpick inserted in center
    > comes out clean.

    This isn't directed at you only, Terry but to everyone...

    Why is it called cornbread when you use more flour than
    corn meal?

    I've never heard a good answer but I just love a nice hot
    piece with vinegar sprinkled on it.

    TIA, Bret

    http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
    World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different