Corn Bread

Brooke Dolara

Guest
I recently baked a loaf of corn bread using a recipe from
Pillsbury Complete Cookbook, and was really unimpressed with
the result. The bread came out really dry and crumbly. Since
I want to avoid accountability, I'm blaming the recipe for
my failure. Does anyone else find that Pillsbury breads and
pastries come out really dry? Any suggestions for a moister,
lighter corn bread would be greatly appreciated.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Brooke Dolara) wrote:

> I recently baked a loaf of corn bread using a recipe from
> Pillsbury Complete Cookbook, and was really unimpressed
> with the result. The bread came out really dry and
> crumbly. Since I want to avoid accountability, I'm blaming
> the recipe for my failure. Does anyone else find that
> Pillsbury breads and pastries come out really dry? Any
> suggestions for a moister, lighter corn bread would be
> greatly appreciated.

Reproducing the recipe would help for feedback purposes.

There are many kinds of cornbread recipes--all cornmeal,
with flour, with buttermilk, etc.

The best cornbreads that I've made have all used a pre-
heated cast iron skillet.

I've been wanting to try Alton Brown's recipe; it's
similar to some that I've used, except that I haven't
added creamed corn:

Creamed Corn Cornbread Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

 Recipe Summary

Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 8 servings   2 cups yellow cornmeal 1 teaspoon kosher
salt 1 tablespoon sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1 cup buttermilk 2 eggs 1 cup
creamed corn 2 tablespoons canola oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.

In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking
powder, and baking soda. Whisk together to combine well.

In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and
creamed corn, whisking together to combine thoroughly.
Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and
stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add more
buttermilk to the batter.

Add 2 tablespoons canola oil to the cast iron skillet.
Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake until the
cornbread is golden brown and springs back upon the
touch, about 20 minutes.

please mail OT responses only

On 8 Mar 2004 09:10:23 -0800, [email protected] (Brooke Dolara)
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>I recently baked a loaf of corn bread using a recipe from
>Pillsbury Complete Cookbook, and was really unimpressed
>with the result. The bread came out really dry and crumbly.
>Since I want to avoid accountability, I'm blaming the
>recipe for my failure. Does anyone else find that Pillsbury
>breads and pastries come out really dry? Any suggestions
>for a moister, lighter corn bread would be greatly
>appreciated.

Try this:

1 1/2 C. all purpose flour
2/3 C. granulated sugar
3/2 C. yellow or white corn meal 1 T. baking powder
4/2 t. salt 1 1/4 C. milk 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
5/3 C. vegetable oil 3 T. butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 8" square baking pan.

Combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in
medium bowl. Combine milk, eggs, vegetable oil and butter in
small bowl; mix well. Add to flour mixture. Stir until just
blended. Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake for 35 mins. or
until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Brooke Dolara) wrote:
>
> > I recently baked a loaf of corn bread using a recipe
> > from Pillsbury Complete Cookbook, and was really
> > unimpressed with the result. The bread came out really
> > dry and crumbly. Since I want to avoid accountability,
> > I'm blaming the recipe for my failure. Does anyone else
> > find that Pillsbury breads and pastries come out really
> > dry? Any suggestions for a moister, lighter corn bread
> > would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Reproducing the recipe would help for feedback purposes.
>
> There are many kinds of cornbread recipes--all cornmeal,
> with flour, with buttermilk, etc.
>
> The best cornbreads that I've made have all used a pre-
> heated cast iron skillet.
>
> I've been wanting to try Alton Brown's recipe; it's
> similar to some that I've used, except that I haven't
> added creamed corn:
>
> Creamed Corn Cornbread Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
>
> Recipe Summary
>
> Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
>
> Yield: 8 servings
>
> 2 cups yellow cornmeal 1 teaspoon kosher salt 1 tablespoon
> sugar 2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1 cup buttermilk 2 eggs 1 cup
> creamed corn 2 tablespoons canola oil
>
> Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
>
> Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.
>
> In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking
> powder, and baking soda. Whisk together to combine well.
>
> In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and
> creamed corn, whisking together to combine thoroughly.
> Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and
> stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add more
> buttermilk to the batter.
>
> Add 2 tablespoons canola oil to the cast iron skillet.
> Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake until the
> cornbread is golden brown and springs back upon the
> touch, about 20 minutes.

I've been known to add creamed corn to whatever cornbread
I'm making, and just adjust the other liquids so the batter
is right. It's a haphazard method, but it always seems to
come out just fine.

"Terry Pulliam Burd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 8 Mar 2004 09:10:23 -0800, [email protected]
> (Brooke Dolara) arranged random neurons, so they looked
> like this:
>
> >I recently baked a loaf of corn bread using a recipe from
> >Pillsbury Complete Cookbook, and was really unimpressed
> >with the result. The bread came out really dry and
> >crumbly. Since I want to avoid accountability, I'm
> >blaming the recipe for my failure. Does anyone else find
> >that Pillsbury breads and pastries come out really dry?
> >Any suggestions for a moister, lighter corn bread would
> >be greatly appreciated.
>
> Try this:
>
> 1 1/2 C. all purpose flour
> 2/3 C. granulated sugar
> 1/2 C. yellow or white corn meal 1 T. baking powder
> 1/2 t. salt 1 1/4 C. milk 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
> 1/3 C. vegetable oil 3 T. butter, melted
>
> Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 8" square baking pan.
>
> Combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and salt
> in medium bowl. Combine milk, eggs, vegetable oil and
> butter in small bowl; mix well. Add to flour mixture.
> Stir until just blended. Pour into prepared baking pan.
> Bake for 35 mins. or until toothpick inserted in center
> comes out clean.

This isn't directed at you only, Terry but to everyone...

Why is it called cornbread when you use more flour than
corn meal?

I've never heard a good answer but I just love a nice hot
piece with vinegar sprinkled on it.

TIA, Bret

http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different