Corned Beef

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. I'm using Sheldon's recipe yet again. It will be good ;)

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

    --Calvin Trillin

    Tags:

  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Michael "Dog3" wrote:
    > I'm using Sheldon's recipe yet again. It will be good ;)

    Very good... mine is almost ready to come out of the oven and fress.

    Made the entire five pound bag of red skinned spuds, hash is my fav.

    Sheldon

  3. "Sheldon" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > Michael "Dog3" wrote:
    >> I'm using Sheldon's recipe yet again. It will be good ;)

    > Very good... mine is almost ready to come out of the oven and fress.
    >
    > Made the entire five pound bag of red skinned spuds, hash is my fav.
    >
    > Sheldon

    I love hash. I've got a 5 pounder flat cut, roasting. I've got a couple
    of pounds of red skinned in the oven. Lots of fresh horseradish.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  4. Van

    Van Guest

    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Michael "Dog3" wrote:
    >> I'm using Sheldon's recipe yet again. It will be good ;)

    > Very good... mine is almost ready to come out of the oven and fress.
    >
    > Made the entire five pound bag of red skinned spuds, hash is my fav.
    >
    > Sheldon

    Made your recipe (again) last nite with a 4 lb flat. Used Red-skinned
    potatoes as well, but washed; didn't skin them. Carrots,cabbage & a couple
    of parsnips.

    Was freakin' great. NYC Deli mustard & garlic aeoli (areola??). Scotch.

    Also bought a few "point cuts" & tossed 'em in the freezer for future
    brunches of corned beef hash. (Hannaford has them for 99 cents/lb. this
    week.

    Just got home from 'The Cousins' fish market in Albany, where I picked up
    whole red snapper for tonite. THEY were offering huge corned beefs 3.99/lb;
    $30 or so average. Just FYI. They also have boneless chicken breasts
    $1.29/lb & king crab $6.50/lb. Neat place.

    Van

  5. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

    > I'm using Sheldon's recipe yet again. It will be good ;)

    I'll be doing mine in the Weber Smokey Mountain.

    Brian
    won't shut up.

  6. BOB

    BOB Guest

    Default User wrote:
    :: Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
    ::
    ::: I'm using Sheldon's recipe yet again. It will be good ;)
    ::
    ::
    :: I'll be doing mine in the Weber Smokey Mountain.
    ::
    ::

    Mine will either be in the Stump's Smoker or in one of the Kamados,
    depending on what size I end up with.

    BOB

    --
    Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

  7. "Default User" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email protected]:

    > Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using Sheldon's recipe yet again. It will be good ;)

    > I'll be doing mine in the Weber Smokey Mountain.
    >

    > Brian

    How did it turn out? Mine was/is fantastic as always.

    Michael

    --

  8. Van wrote:

    >Also bought a few "point cuts" & tossed 'em in the freezer for future
    >brunches of corned beef hash. (Hannaford has them for 99 cents/lb. this
    >week.

    I always thought corned beef wasn't supposed to freeze well, because of
    the salt content. I mean, the whole point of brining meat is to preserve
    it, isn't it?

    Christine

  9. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Van wrote:
    > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Michael "Dog3" wrote:
    > >> I'm using Sheldon's recipe yet again. It will be good ;)

    > > Very good... mine is almost ready to come out of the oven and fress.
    > >
    > > Made the entire five pound bag of red skinned spuds, hash is my fav.
    > >
    > > Sheldon
    > >

    > Made your recipe (again) last nite with a 4 lb flat. Used Red-skinned
    > potatoes as well, but washed; didn't skin them. Carrots,cabbage & a couple
    > of parsnips.
    >
    > Was freakin' great. NYC Deli mustard & garlic aeoli (areola??).

    Areola, oboy, that I know... yum, yum! hehehe

    Sheldon

  10. Did three flat ones for 21 people but I simmered 'em. Served with 3
    heads of cabbage, each cut in 8 pieces, 5 lbs of whole carrots, +5 lbs
    of small red potatoes and one humungous rutabega cut in 2" chunks.

    They ate it all.

    Lynn from Fargo

  11. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Old Mother Ashby wrote:
    > Van wrote:
    >
    >> Also bought a few "point cuts" & tossed 'em in the freezer for future
    >> brunches of corned beef hash. (Hannaford has them for 99 cents/lb.
    >> this week.
    >>

    > I always thought corned beef wasn't supposed to freeze well, because
    > of the salt content. I mean, the whole point of brining meat is to
    > preserve it, isn't it?
    >
    > Christine

    I've been freezing it without a problem for countless years.

    Jill

  12. As planned, we had platters of corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and
    parsnips at a local "homey" restaurant. We'd not had it there before, but
    had been told that is was very good. It was outstanding! Perfectly cooked
    and seasoned. Alongside was a wonderful dark soda bread and sweet butter.
    I long for leftovers, but know I shouldn't have them. :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  13. "Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > Did three flat ones for 21 people but I simmered 'em. Served with 3
    > heads of cabbage, each cut in 8 pieces, 5 lbs of whole carrots, +5 lbs
    > of small red potatoes and one humungous rutabega cut in 2" chunks.
    >
    > They ate it all.
    >
    > Lynn from Fargo

    Gawd... You had a crowd.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  14. I'm the Activity Director at a drop-in center for folks with "serious
    and persistant mental illness."

    Food is a MAJOR activity! These people are great to cook for . . .
    they'll try anything: curries, tajines, Turkish food. I can do chicken
    and rice in about ten languages!

    Lynn from Fargo