Corned Beef ?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by ~patches~, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    I put the corned beef on according to the IMO vague instructions. Cover
    with cold water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until fork
    tender. Do I need to cover the pot? Is that foam supposed to be
    skimmed off or just left? Do I need to stir at all?

    Tags:

  2. ~patches~ wrote:
    > I put the corned beef on according to the IMO vague instructions. Cover
    > with cold water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until fork
    > tender. Do I need to cover the pot? Is that foam supposed to be
    > skimmed off or just left? Do I need to stir at all?

    I simmer it, partially covered, and skim after the first half hour or
    so. 3 hours should do you good.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    email:
    anisaerah at s b c global.net

    Adam Bowman wrote:
    >I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
    > then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
    > wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
    > messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
    > your intention?
    >
    > That type of argument is like
    >
    > "Bob shot someone"
    >
    > "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    sarah bennett wrote:
    > ~patches~ wrote:
    >> I put the corned beef on according to the IMO vague instructions.
    >> Cover with cold water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook
    >> until fork tender. Do I need to cover the pot? Is that foam
    >> supposed to be skimmed off or just left? Do I need to stir at all?

    > I simmer it, partially covered, and skim after the first half hour or
    > so. 3 hours should do you good.

    Agreed. And patches, did you use the little peppercorn/crumbled bay leaf
    packet that came with it? I usually add a couple more bay leaves and can of
    beer to the cooking water.

    Jill

  4. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > sarah bennett wrote:
    >
    >>~patches~ wrote:
    >>
    >>>I put the corned beef on according to the IMO vague instructions.
    >>>Cover with cold water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook
    >>>until fork tender. Do I need to cover the pot? Is that foam
    >>>supposed to be skimmed off or just left? Do I need to stir at all?

    >>I simmer it, partially covered, and skim after the first half hour or
    >>so. 3 hours should do you good.

    > Agreed. And patches, did you use the little peppercorn/crumbled bay leaf
    > packet that came with it? I usually add a couple more bay leaves and can of
    > beer to the cooking water.
    >
    > Jill

    Thanks! Yes, I added the seasoning packet. Do you add the beer right
    from the start or part way through the simmer stage?

  5. On Thu 23 Mar 2006 03:58:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

    > sarah bennett wrote:
    >> ~patches~ wrote:
    >>> I put the corned beef on according to the IMO vague instructions.
    >>> Cover with cold water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook
    >>> until fork tender. Do I need to cover the pot? Is that foam
    >>> supposed to be skimmed off or just left? Do I need to stir at all?

    >> I simmer it, partially covered, and skim after the first half hour or
    >> so. 3 hours should do you good.

    > Agreed. And patches, did you use the little peppercorn/crumbled bay
    > leaf packet that came with it? I usually add a couple more bay leaves
    > and can of beer to the cooking water.

    Also agreed, but I toss the little packet and add a tablespoon or so of
    pickling spice. The beer is a good addition.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  6. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> sarah bennett wrote:

    >>> I simmer it, partially covered, and skim after the first half hour
    >>> or
    >>> so. 3 hours should do you good.

    >> Agreed. And patches, did you use the little peppercorn/crumbled bay
    >> leaf packet that came with it? I usually add a couple more bay
    >> leaves and can of beer to the cooking water.
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > Thanks! Yes, I added the seasoning packet. Do you add the beer right
    > from the start or part way through the simmer stage?

    I add it right from the start. Not necessary, but I think beer adds a
    little something :)

    Jill

  7. Paul M. Cook

    Paul M. Cook Guest

    "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I put the corned beef on according to the IMO vague instructions. Cover
    > with cold water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until fork
    > tender. Do I need to cover the pot? Is that foam supposed to be
    > skimmed off or just left? Do I need to stir at all?

    Don't simmer it, keep it just below the simmer. Sure, skim off the foam, it
    does nothing for the flavor. Do cover the pot, you don't want to cook off
    all the liquid and the cover makes it easier to maintain the temperature.
    Do add your spices and seasonings now. You need not stir it.

    Add the potatoes the last 15 minutes, then add the cabbage wedges the last 5
    minutes. I also like to add onion wedges with the potatoes. Do not boil,
    you don;t want to break up the vegetables - you want them to stay whole.

    Paul

  8. Jill wrote about adding beer to the corned beef simmering liquid:

    > I add it right from the start. Not necessary, but I think beer
    > adds a little something :)

    Sign in a Vienna beergarden:

    In vino veritas
    In bier ist auch etwas

    First line is Latin, meaning "In wine there is truth."
    Second line is German, meaning "In beer there is also a little something."

    Bob

  9. Amarantha

    Amarantha Guest

    "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> I put the corned beef on according to the IMO vague instructions.
    >> Cover with cold water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook
    >> until fork tender. Do I need to cover the pot? Is that foam
    >> supposed to be skimmed off or just left? Do I need to stir at all?

    > Don't simmer it, keep it just below the simmer. Sure, skim off the
    > foam, it does nothing for the flavor. Do cover the pot, you don't
    > want to cook off all the liquid and the cover makes it easier to
    > maintain the temperature. Do add your spices and seasonings now. You
    > need not stir it.
    >
    > Add the potatoes the last 15 minutes, then add the cabbage wedges the
    > last 5 minutes. I also like to add onion wedges with the potatoes.
    > Do not boil, you don;t want to break up the vegetables - you want them
    > to stay whole.
    >
    > Paul

    I second this - don't boil it. The more gently you cook it, the more
    tender it will be. This I learnt from experience :)

  10. limey

    limey Guest

    "Amarantha" wrote

    > "Paul M. Cook" wrote >
    >>
    >> "~patches~" wrote >>
    >>> I put the corned beef on according to the IMO vague instructions.
    >>> Cover with cold water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook
    >>> until fork tender. Do I need to cover the pot? Is that foam
    >>> supposed to be skimmed off or just left? Do I need to stir at all?

    >> Don't simmer it, keep it just below the simmer. Sure, skim off the
    >> foam, it does nothing for the flavor. Do cover the pot, you don't
    >> want to cook off all the liquid and the cover makes it easier to
    >> maintain the temperature. Do add your spices and seasonings now. You
    >> need not stir it.
    >>
    >> Add the potatoes the last 15 minutes, then add the cabbage wedges the
    >> last 5 minutes. I also like to add onion wedges with the potatoes.
    >> Do not boil, you don;t want to break up the vegetables - you want them
    >> to stay whole.
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>

    > I second this - don't boil it. The more gently you cook it, the more
    > tender it will be. This I learnt from experience :)

    Absolutely - don't boil it. The trouble I have is with my electric
    smoothtop - getting the setting down to where it stays on a barely-moving
    simmer and doesn't go totally motionless. The lower the simmer, the better
    it is.
    Expect a lot of shrinkage - that's normal. If I'm ambitious that day, I
    also like to tie the spices into cheesecloth - saves those little bits from
    drifting through the cabbage. Just me.

    Dora

  11. Wayne

    Wayne Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:
    > I put the corned beef on according to the IMO vague instructions. Cover
    > with cold water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until fork
    > tender. Do I need to cover the pot? Is that foam supposed to be
    > skimmed off or just left? Do I need to stir at all?

    I would suggest a much different way to cook the corned beef. Since I
    was introduced to this method I have used it exclusively and with great
    success.

    Baked corned beef

    Bake: Pre heat oven to 350° Remove meat from package and place on rack
    in pan fat side up. Add approximately one inch of water to bottom of
    pan. Cover with contents of included spice package if desired. Cover
    pan with lid or foil, bake for fifty minutes per pound or until fork
    tender. With ten minutes left, uncover pan and bake at 375°. When
    corned beef is done remove from oven and let cool for 20 to 30 minutes.
    Always slice meat across grain pour juices over sliced corned beef.

    Enjoy

    Wayne

  12. Honey, you best not eat this type of beet.
    The salt content will kill you.
    This is a very UN-healthy cut of meat.
    This cut is usually served to low income
    people who don't know any better.

    chuck

  13. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-03-24, Wayne <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I would suggest a much different way to cook the corned beef. Since I
    > was introduced to this method I have used it exclusively and with great
    > success.

    This is where a pressure cooker really shines. I put a 2 to 2-1/2lb
    flat in my 5qt cooker with about 2C water on a rack of carrots and
    celery. Cook for about 1 hr at 15lbs and it comes out perfect.
    Another advantage to this method, unlike boiling less flavor leaches out
    into the cooking liquid.

    nb

  14. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Honey, you best not eat this type of beet.
    > The salt content will kill you.
    > This is a very UN-healthy cut of meat.
    > This cut is usually served to low income
    > people who don't know any better.
    >

    > chuck

    I wouldn't think it any higher in salt than bacon or pea meal bacon. DH
    didn't like either the flavour or texture so wouldn't eat it. I let it
    cool then sliced really thin for sandwiches to be divided amongst which
    ever of my kids want to try some and kept a little for myself.

  15. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> Honey, you best not eat this type of beet.
    >> The salt content will kill you.
    >> This is a very UN-healthy cut of meat.
    >> This cut is usually served to low income
    >> people who don't know any better.
    >>

    >> chuck
    >>

    > I wouldn't think it any higher in salt than bacon or pea meal bacon.
    > DH didn't like either the flavour or texture so wouldn't eat it. I
    > let it cool then sliced really thin for sandwiches to be divided
    > amongst which ever of my kids want to try some and kept a little for
    > myself.

    How was it?! I LOVE corned beef!

    Jill

  16. Default User

    Default User Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > Honey, you best not eat this type of beet.
    > > The salt content will kill you.

    > I wouldn't think it any higher in salt than bacon or pea meal bacon.
    > DH didn't like either the flavour or texture so wouldn't eat it. I
    > let it cool then sliced really thin for sandwiches to be divided
    > amongst which ever of my kids want to try some and kept a little for
    > myself.

    It seems to me that modern corned beef is so low in salt that when
    boiled I find myself salting the result. Not a problem with smoked,
    where I still soak for a few days first.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  17. Reg

    Reg Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> Honey, you best not eat this type of beet.
    >> The salt content will kill you.
    >> This is a very UN-healthy cut of meat.
    >> This cut is usually served to low income
    >> people who don't know any better.
    >>

    >> chuck
    >>

    > I wouldn't think it any higher in salt than bacon or pea meal bacon.

    Exactly.

    --
    Reg

  18. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote:
    >
    >>[email protected] wrote:
    >>

    >>>Honey, you best not eat this type of beet.
    >>>The salt content will kill you.
    >>>This is a very UN-healthy cut of meat.
    >>>This cut is usually served to low income
    >>>people who don't know any better.
    >>>

    >>>chuck
    >>>

    >>I wouldn't think it any higher in salt than bacon or pea meal bacon.
    >>DH didn't like either the flavour or texture so wouldn't eat it. I
    >>let it cool then sliced really thin for sandwiches to be divided
    >>amongst which ever of my kids want to try some and kept a little for
    >>myself.

    > How was it?! I LOVE corned beef!
    >
    > Jill

    See my thank-you post :(