cornering issues after crash

CyclingTGF

Feb 12, 2010
Hello, Well I I have been cycling for a while now, and have recently decided to try a race, most likely a crit. The one problem I have is cornering. Not to long ago I went out on a training ride, one with a lot of turns, and took one of the turns a little to fast and sharp. Crashed!! I ripped my cycling shorts, have scars on my legs, broke my helmet, bent the cranks, handle bar, brake levers, and broke a couple other parts. So as you can imagine it was pretty bad. Now I am extremely scared of going around corners fast on my bike. Now on top of that I just purchased a new bike so I am even more terrified of doing that again. But I know if I don't, I will never be able to participate in a crit. So how do I eliminate my fear? Anyone else have a similar incident, how did you recover?

The only way to do it is go out and ride. If you have some friends that are similar ability (or better) than you at cornering then find a short course on an industrial estate or complex that's empty in the evenings and follow them. Up the speed every couple of laps...

Alternatively find some descents that are fairly straight and get used to the sensation of speed again. Just get used to being able to relax.

If the bike feels 'jittery' underneath you then check tire pressures. Failing that have a bike fitting by a reputable fitter - it could be that you're sitting to far forward and putting to much weight on the front wheel.

How long were you off the bike after the crash?

The one thing that pro bike racers and other pros in other racing sports do is after a crash is to go back out ASAP and race again...FAST! Doing this helps prevent fear from creeping and getting stronger as each day of non-racing goes by.

Do as Swampy said.

In racing accidents will happen, you need to get right back at as soon as one does occur, it's part of the sport, in fact part of almost any sport except Chess! (If you call chess a sport as Russia does). If you can't except the possibility of accidents and injury then you need to get out of racing. And getting out of racing due to fear is good for the other riders that would be racing around you because your not doing stupid maneuvers that may cause others to crash.

So buck up or get out.

No fears are ever eliminated by skirting around them. They need to be faced in order for them to be defeated.

Go back to the same piece of road and ride down it again (slowly), then go back again and again and again until you feel comfortable with cornering once more. If traffic allows, you could try it finally at race pace. Don't let one poxy corner defeat you.

Then (and only then) you can try a crit.

Avoiding the issue isn't going to improve your cornering. Practise makes perfect.

Just as in auto racing the same rules apply to bicycles; brake before you enter a curve. Choose your line through each corner. If you corner correctly you should clip the apex of the turn. Make sure your inside crank arm is in the vertical position so that your pedal does not touch the ground. Practice cornering inside and outside in both directions and try to pick up your speed each time. Start to sprint out of corners. Set up a slalom course and also practice 180 degree turns.

Make a gradual attempt. Do it in staging process. Make a record of your assessment every attempts you made. video would a better record for it so that you can check what went wrong.....

It takes time to feel comfortable cornering after sliding out and wrecking. You have to trust your tires. I like Maxxis Re-fuse tires myself (maybe not for a crit). Also you could keep your PSI a little bit lower at the sacrifice of other things... Just to get your head in the game anyway.

Go to this link on YouTube and watch it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHTmoxu9kFA]YouTube - How to Cycle Downhill[/ame]

The example of counter-steering allows you to take corners at higher speeds. I crashed at a 180 turn downhill rolling about 25 mph. Had I known about this technique, I would have pulled off the turn.

In crits (I have only done a few), you are looking for the straightest line you can follow. Generally, you start out wide, cross the corner, then lead out wide again. This mostly straight line yields better control and maintains your speed the best.

Continental Grand Prix 4000 tires with the black chili compound give a pretty nice grip to the road. Also, a slightly loser air pressure will help you turn better too, maybe 90 - 100 psi.

Deafwolf said:
Continental Grand Prix 4000 tires with the black chili compound give a pretty nice grip to the road. Also, a slightly loser air pressure will help you turn better too, maybe 90 - 100 psi.

This business of 90-100psi depends on how much the rider weighs, your psi of 90-100 is great if you weigh between 165 and 175, otherwise it's not right. Also your front tire should have about 5 pounds less air then the rear...but that's a percentage based on someone's weight between 165 and 175.

Sounds like you really bought the farm on that crash...

As the others have said, just get back on the bike and start riding again.

Also keep in mind that this is a sport where you have to be willing to and accept the fact that you're going to get hurt. Crashing isn't a matter of "if," but a matter of "when."