Correct handlebar height

bikemonk

Jul 30, 2003
Hello to all

Being an avid mtber I recentrly got into road cycling, some racing too. I bought a Trek 1500 which I really enjoy riding, but the rest of my buddies tell me I have my handlebars too low. The truth is that I find the position a bit strenuous for my back espacially when descending, but I haven't changed a thing since I bought the bicycle. I'm thinking of turning the stem upside down but I 'm not really sure. If anyone can tell me which the correct handlebar height it 'd be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and keep on riding!

strenuous in the drops or hoods? you will be in a more aero position when they are lower, but if it effects your pedaling then maybe it's too low...it's a comprimise.

I too recently bought a 1500 and am facing the same dilemna. I flipped my stem over yesterday, and it lowered the handlebars exactly 1.5". I've not yet tested it on the road... that's tomorrow morning's ride. We'll see how things go. I wish I could offer advice, but I'm a novice. Needless to say I'll be watching your thread, since I consider posted a very similar question myself. Good luck...

bikemonk said:
Hello to all

Being an avid mtber I recentrly got into road cycling, some racing too. I bought a Trek 1500 which I really enjoy riding, but the rest of my buddies tell me I have my handlebars too low. The truth is that I find the position a bit strenuous for my back espacially when descending, but I haven't changed a thing since I bought the bicycle. I'm thinking of turning the stem upside down but I 'm not really sure. If anyone can tell me which the correct handlebar height it 'd be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and keep on riding!
What's correct is what works for you, and that may change with more conditioning and flexibility. Flipping the stem might help,assuming it isn't already in the up position.If you don't have spacers on top of the stem that can be put under it,you may be hosed. Many times, the steerer gets cut too short and the only solution is a high rise stem or a steerer extender,both goofy ****ions. Another possibility is the frame is too small. Alot of people have trouble with Treks,because of the way they ae sized.

rastakaram said:
I too recently bought a 1500 and am facing the same dilemna. I flipped my stem over yesterday, and it lowered the handlebars exactly 1.5". I've not yet tested it on the road... that's tomorrow morning's ride. We'll see how things go. I wish I could offer advice, but I'm a novice. Needless to say I'll be watching your thread, since I consider posted a very similar question myself. Good luck...
Obviously if the bars were too low and you flipped the stem and the bars are now even lower,you went the wrong way. I'd say you are hosed unless you go for a high rise stem.