Correct levers with low profile cantilever brakes????

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert, Jun 1, 2004.

  1. Robert

    Robert Guest

    I want to install some low profile cantilevers on a roadbike frame.
    Brazing the pivots on is not a problem. Have access to some low
    profile Dia-Compe brakes that are very reasonable. Now , the problem
    is what brake levers to use. I have several sets of older style
    Dia-Compe drop bar levers. From reading the Sheldon Brown site info,
    it appears that using older style levers will not work without adding
    some bolt on gizmo .

    How do you recognize what levers will work when looking at them? With
    upright bar levers for low profile brakes, it seems most have a
    stirrup that the cable goes into. Is this the case for the correct
    drop bar levers?

    Are there any other low bucks routes to getting the brakes to work?

    Thanks
    Robert

    Tags:

  2. Robert wrote:

    > I want to install some low profile cantilevers on a roadbike frame.
    > Brazing the pivots on is not a problem. Have access to some low
    > profile Dia-Compe brakes that are very reasonable. Now , the problem
    > is what brake levers to use. I have several sets of older style
    > Dia-Compe drop bar levers. From reading the Sheldon Brown site info,
    > it appears that using older style levers will not work without adding
    > some bolt on gizmo .

    Not so. The bolt-on gizmo is only needed for "direct-pull" (side pull)
    cantilevers, such as Shimano V Brakes.

    Center-pull cantilevers, whether wide, medium or narrow profile all work
    with conventional levers.

    The low profile ones are generally the worst performing, but there's not
    much you can do about that aside from setting them up carefully, as I
    describe at http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-adjustment

    > How do you recognize what levers will work when looking at them?

    All drop-bar brake levers will work, with the single exception of the
    DiaCompe 287V, which is for direct-pull cantis only.

    Sheldon "Not A Low Profle Fan" Brown
    | I millihelen = the amount of |
    | beauty required to launch one ship. |
    | --Peter Shickele |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  3. daveornee

    daveornee Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > Robert wrote:
    > > I want to install some low profile cantilevers on a roadbike frame.
    > > Brazing the pivots on is not a problem. Have access to some low
    > > profile Dia-Compe brakes that are very reasonable. Now , the problem
    > > is what brake levers to use. I have several sets of older style Dia-
    > > Compe drop bar levers. From reading the Sheldon Brown site info, it
    > > appears that using older style levers will not work without adding
    > > some bolt on gizmo .

    > Not so. The bolt-on gizmo is only needed for "direct-pull" (side pull)
    > cantilevers, such as Shimano V Brakes.
    > Center-pull cantilevers, whether wide, medium or narrow profile all work
    > with conventional levers.
    > The low profile ones are generally the worst performing, but there's not
    > much you can do about that aside from setting them up carefully, as I
    > describe at http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-
    > adjustment
    > >
    > > How do you recognize what levers will work when looking at them?

    > All drop-bar brake levers will work, with the single exception of the
    > DiaCompe 287V, which is for direct-pull cantis only.
    > Sheldon "Not A Low Profle Fan" Brown +-------------------------------------------
    > +
    > | I millihelen = the amount of | beauty required to launch one ship.
    > | | --Peter Shickele |
    > Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    > http://harriscyclery.com/http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    > shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com/http://captainbike.com
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/http://sheldonbrown.com

    You will require cable hangers to terminate the housings in the front
    and rear. It is advisable to have cable adjusters as well. Some cable
    hangers come with adjusters or at least have provisions for them. There
    are also Inline Cable Adjusters that can be positioned almost anywhere
    the housings run.