Correct Lube for air shock - rubber seals

Adalbert

Guest
Cane Creek recommends lubing the seals of their AD-12 Air Shock after 200 hr of ride time. Since I'm
well over that I would like to do this but don't know what Lube to use. Cane Creek's site isn't
helpful re a generic lube. What do you use/recommend for lubing rubber seals?

Adalbert <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Cane Creek recommends lubing the seals of their AD-12 Air Shock after 200 hr of ride time. Since
> I'm well over that I would like to do this but don't know what Lube to use. Cane Creek's site
> isn't helpful re a generic lube. What do you use/recommend for lubing rubber seals?

If its an external o ring seal then probably Slick Honey or Maxima waterproof is good. If
its internal or within the air chamber I would suggest Torco Engine lube or either wise
known as Red Rum.

"David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Adalbert <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Cane Creek recommends lubing the seals of their AD-12 Air Shock after 200 hr of ride time. Since
> > I'm well over that I would like to do this but don't know what Lube to use. Cane Creek's site
> > isn't helpful re a generic lube. What do you use/recommend for lubing rubber seals?
>
> If its an external o ring seal then probably Slick Honey or Maxima waterproof is good. If its
> internal or within the air chamber I would suggest Torco Engine lube or either wise known as
> Red Rum.

For suspension forks and air shocks, I've had good results using a silicone-based product sold for
lubricating automotive disc brake caliper slides. It's designed for use with rubber seals and
bushings and is inexpensive compared to bike-specific lubes.