Correct Lube for air shock - rubber seals

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Adalbert, May 24, 2003.

  1. Adalbert

    Adalbert Guest

    Cane Creek recommends lubing the seals of their AD-12 Air Shock after 200 hr of ride time. Since I'm
    well over that I would like to do this but don't know what Lube to use. Cane Creek's site isn't
    helpful re a generic lube. What do you use/recommend for lubing rubber seals?

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Adalbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Cane Creek recommends lubing the seals of their AD-12 Air Shock after 200 hr of ride time. Since
    > I'm well over that I would like to do this but don't know what Lube to use. Cane Creek's site
    > isn't helpful re a generic lube. What do you use/recommend for lubing rubber seals?

    Slick Honey. http://www.ekosport.com/ta_accs_lubes.shtml

    Mike

  3. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    Adalbert <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Cane Creek recommends lubing the seals of their AD-12 Air Shock after 200 hr of ride time. Since
    > I'm well over that I would like to do this but don't know what Lube to use. Cane Creek's site
    > isn't helpful re a generic lube. What do you use/recommend for lubing rubber seals?

    If its an external o ring seal then probably Slick Honey or Maxima waterproof is good. If
    its internal or within the air chamber I would suggest Torco Engine lube or either wise
    known as Red Rum.

  4. Klydesdale

    Klydesdale Guest

    "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Adalbert <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Cane Creek recommends lubing the seals of their AD-12 Air Shock after 200 hr of ride time. Since
    > > I'm well over that I would like to do this but don't know what Lube to use. Cane Creek's site
    > > isn't helpful re a generic lube. What do you use/recommend for lubing rubber seals?
    >
    > If its an external o ring seal then probably Slick Honey or Maxima waterproof is good. If its
    > internal or within the air chamber I would suggest Torco Engine lube or either wise known as
    > Red Rum.

    For suspension forks and air shocks, I've had good results using a silicone-based product sold for
    lubricating automotive disc brake caliper slides. It's designed for use with rubber seals and
    bushings and is inexpensive compared to bike-specific lubes.