correct pronunciation

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bob, Feb 28, 2003.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    What is the correct way to prononce GIRO? Have heard at least 4 variations

    Tags:

  2. Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What is the correct way to prononce GIRO? Have heard at least 4 variations

    Something like gee-roh, with a rolling r.

    -as

  3. Jake Khuon

    Jake Khuon Guest

    ### On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 03:43:44 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]>
    ### casually decided to expound upon rec.bicycles.misc the following thoughts about correct
    ### pronunciation:

    B> What is the correct way to prononce GIRO? Have heard at least 4 variations

    Merriam-Webster doesn't give the exact definition (in cycling context) but the word is the same as
    is the phonetics:

    Main Entry: gi·ro Pronunciation: 'jir-(")O, 'zhir-; 'jE-(")rO, 'zhE-, esp British 'jI-
    Function: noun Etymology: German, circulation (of currency), from Italian, from Latin gyrus
    gyre Date: 1890
    : a service of many European banks that permits authorized direct
    transfer of funds among account holders as well as conventional transfers by check

    If your terminal happens to be audio-enabled:

    http://cheetah.eb.com/sound/g/giro0001.wav http://cheetah.eb.com/sound/g/giro0002.wav

    --
    /*===================[ Jake Khuon <[email protected]> ]======================+
    | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- | for Effective Bandwidth
    | Utilisation / |/ [_ [_ |) |_| N E T W O R K S |
    +=========================================================================*/

  4. Jake Khuon <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Merriam-Webster doesn't give the exact definition (in cycling context) but the word is the same as
    > is the phonetics:

    > Main Entry: gi·ro Pronunciation: 'jir-(")O, 'zhir-; 'jE-(")rO, 'zhE-, esp British 'jI-
    > Function: noun Etymology: German, circulation (of currency), from Italian, from Latin gyrus
    > gyre Date: 1890
    > : a service of many European banks that permits authorized direct
    > transfer of funds among account holders as well as conventional transfers by check
    >
    > If your terminal happens to be audio-enabled:
    >
    > http://cheetah.eb.com/sound/g/giro0001.wav http://cheetah.eb.com/sound/g/giro0002.wav

    If we assume that the original poster had the Italian word in mind, I don't think either of those
    samples is very close to the correct pronounciation. The first one had the "g" sound about right,
    but the "i" was too short, the "r" didn't roll properly and the "o" was English, not Italian. The
    second one had everything wrong.

    -as

  5. "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<Q%[email protected]>...
    > What is the correct way to prononce GIRO? Have heard at least 4 variations

    depends what language you're speaking. if as in "Giro d'Italia" then Gee-Roh (god how much do I HATE
    pronuncation-guidese...)

    -Luigi