Correct Seating Position

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Adrian, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    Hi on my Mountain Bike, is the correct seating position where you pedal, and
    your knees just have a slight kink in them ??

    Tags:

  2. Joel Mayes

    Joel Mayes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Adrian wrote:
    > Hi on my Mountain Bike, is the correct seating position
    > where you pedal, and your knees just have a slight kink in
    > them ??

    Your leg should be extended but the knee *must* not be
    locked, if your seat is to low you will get sore knees
    if it is to high your ankles will get sore.

    Find what is comfortable for you.

    --
    | Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign
    | Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news
    | Musician | / \
    | Music Teacher |

  3. Arpit

    Arpit Guest

    for me, sore ankles aren't as bad as sore knees (had both), so i err
    on the side of too high :p I tend to raise it during a ride when my
    legs are getting too tired also, like the other day when i was taking
    my mountain bike on the roads, and was trying to catch up to two guys
    on road bikes. I caught up to them slowly over about half an hour but
    then they left me behind <G> I thought it might have been cause my
    bike was heavier and all, what with the lead acid battery for lights
    and all, but since most of the catching up was done on uphills, they
    must've jjust been fitter :)

    On 30 Dec 2003 08:54:53 GMT, Joel Mayes <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Adrian wrote:
    >> Hi on my Mountain Bike, is the correct seating position
    >> where you pedal, and your knees just have a slight kink in
    >> them ??

    >Your leg should be extended but the knee *must* not be
    >locked, if your seat is to low you will get sore knees
    >if it is to high your ankles will get sore.
    >
    >Find what is comfortable for you.

  4. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:30:13 +1000, Adrian wrote:

    > Hi on my Mountain Bike, is the correct seating position where you pedal, and
    > your knees just have a slight kink in them ??

    On the leg that's at the bottom of the pedal stroke - that is,
    when the foor is the most it's ever going to be away from your body.

    It's also important that your hips don't rock from side to side
    as you pedal.

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email protected])

  5. apologies

    apologies Guest

    kingsley <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:30:13 +1000, Adrian wrote:
    >
    >> Hi on my Mountain Bike, is the correct seating position where you pedal, and
    >> your knees just have a slight kink in them ??

    >On the leg that's at the bottom of the pedal stroke - that is,
    >when the foor is the most it's ever going to be away from your body.
    >
    >It's also important that your hips don't rock from side to side
    >as you pedal.
    >
    >-kt

    I'd definitely go for the no rocking hips thing. Rocking hips cause
    fatigue, pain and loss of power.

    There are some really good sights on set up. Don't forget the fore and
    aft position of the saddle as well. With pedals at 3 o'clock and 9
    o'clock the front the bony bit below the front knee should be just
    behind or directly above the pedal centre.

    A good link is http://www.analyticcycling.com/QCHome_Page.html for all
    sorts of stuff on power, position etc. etc.
    Regards,

    Neil.

  6. daulie

    daulie Guest

    try this website it tells you how to measure your body and set up your bike
    to suit www.wrenchscience.com
    news:[email protected]