Correct Seating Position

Adrian

Guest
Hi on my Mountain Bike, is the correct seating position where you pedal, and
your knees just have a slight kink in them ??

In article <[email protected]>, Adrian wrote:
> Hi on my Mountain Bike, is the correct seating position
> where you pedal, and your knees just have a slight kink in
> them ??

Your leg should be extended but the knee *must* not be
locked, if your seat is to low you will get sore knees
if it is to high your ankles will get sore.

Find what is comfortable for you.

--
| Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign
| Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news
| Musician | / \
| Music Teacher |

for me, sore ankles aren't as bad as sore knees (had both), so i err
on the side of too high :p I tend to raise it during a ride when my
legs are getting too tired also, like the other day when i was taking
my mountain bike on the roads, and was trying to catch up to two guys
on road bikes. I caught up to them slowly over about half an hour but
then they left me behind <G> I thought it might have been cause my
bike was heavier and all, what with the lead acid battery for lights
and all, but since most of the catching up was done on uphills, they
must've jjust been fitter :)

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:30:13 +1000, Adrian wrote:

> Hi on my Mountain Bike, is the correct seating position where you pedal, and
> your knees just have a slight kink in them ??

On the leg that's at the bottom of the pedal stroke - that is,
when the foor is the most it's ever going to be away from your body.

It's also important that your hips don't rock from side to side
as you pedal.

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
(mailto: [email protected])

kingsley <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:30:13 +1000, Adrian wrote:
>
>> Hi on my Mountain Bike, is the correct seating position where you pedal, and
>> your knees just have a slight kink in them ??

>On the leg that's at the bottom of the pedal stroke - that is,
>when the foor is the most it's ever going to be away from your body.
>
>It's also important that your hips don't rock from side to side
>as you pedal.
>
>-kt

I'd definitely go for the no rocking hips thing. Rocking hips cause
fatigue, pain and loss of power.

There are some really good sights on set up. Don't forget the fore and
aft position of the saddle as well. With pedals at 3 o'clock and 9
o'clock the front the bony bit below the front knee should be just
behind or directly above the pedal centre.

A good link is http://www.analyticcycling.com/QCHome_Page.html for all
sorts of stuff on power, position etc. etc.
Regards,

Neil.