Correct size of bicycle

Newsgroups

Guest
I'm interested in purchasing a mountain bike. I'm only looking to ride
about an hr a day. Nothing to much.
What's the best size for a woman who is 5'1" tall.
I had been told that shen sitting on seat, bother your feet should
touch the ground comfortably. Is this accurate? If not, what size for a
woman of 5'1".

Thank you.

Newsgroups wrote:
> I'm interested in purchasing a mountain bike. I'm only looking to
> ride about an hr a day. Nothing to much.
> What's the best size for a woman who is 5'1" tall.
> I had been told that shen sitting on seat, bother your feet should
> touch the ground comfortably. Is this accurate?

No, that's /not/ accurate. You should have a little clearance over the "top
tube" (2" or so), so the saddle is well above that.

PLEASE do yourself a favor and visit a real bike shop. Tell them what type
of riding you plan on doing, and let them help you find something suitable.
THEN they can work on fit. (You're going to need the smallest size they've
got :) )

Have fun!

Bill S.

At that height, probably a 13" frame, but go to a bike shop and be sure. A
caveat though, at 5'1", you have to throw the conventional wisdom of "2 to 3
inches of clearance over the top tube" away. At 5'1", she won't have 2 full
inches of standover, over a 10.5" Specialized Hotrock with 24" wheels.

news:[email protected]...

On 2005-07-11, Newsgroups penned:

> I'm interested in purchasing a mountain bike. I'm only looking to
> ride about an hr a day. Nothing to much. What's the best size for a
> woman who is 5'1" tall. I had been told that shen sitting on seat,
> bother your feet should touch the ground comfortably. Is this
> accurate? If not, what size for a woman of 5'1".

What Sorni said. We can't tell you the best size; a bike shop may be
able to. At your height, you probably want to try some women's
specific bike designs.

If you can touch the ground while you're sitting on the seat on a
mountain bike, the seat is way too low. That rule of thumb might work
for a banana seat bike or other cruiser ...

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain