Correct square-taper BB size?

Boyd Speerschne

Guest
Hello,

I recently purchased an '04 Specialized S-Works E-5
frame. I didn't know the correct size for the bottom
bracket, so I called Specialized (it wasn't on their
website... go figure).

They told me it takes 68mm cups and they gave me two options
for the spindle length:

1) 109.5mm for Shimano Octalink
2) 108.0mm for ISIS

The problem is that the crankset I want to use is an old
school square- tapered design.

What size BB should I get?

Thanks in advance,

- Boyd S.

"Boyd Speerschneider" <bspeerscREMOVE_ME@ME_TOOyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I recently purchased an '04 Specialized S-Works E-5 frame.
> I didn't know the correct size for the bottom bracket, so
> I called Specialized (it wasn't on their website... go
> figure).
>
> They told me it takes 68mm cups and they gave me two
> options for the
spindle
> length:
>
> 1) 109.5mm for Shimano Octalink
> 2) 108.0mm for ISIS
>
> The problem is that the crankset I want to use is an old
> school square- tapered design.
>
> What size BB should I get?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> - Boyd S.

It depends on the crankset you will be using. If the crank
uses OctaLink, you have to use the OctaLink bottom bracket.
The same holds true for the ISIS, if using ISIS cranks,
using an ISIS bottom bracket is necessary.

"Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Boyd Speerschneider" <bspeerscREMOVE_ME@ME_TOOyahoo.com>
> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recently purchased an '04 Specialized S-Works E-5
> > frame. I didn't know the correct size for the bottom
> > bracket, so I called Specialized (it wasn't on their
> > website... go figure).
> >
> > They told me it takes 68mm cups and they gave me two
> > options for the
> spindle
> > length:
> >
> > 1) 109.5mm for Shimano Octalink
> > 2) 108.0mm for ISIS
> >
> > The problem is that the crankset I want to use is an old
> > school square- tapered design.
> >
> > What size BB should I get?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > - Boyd S.
>
> It depends on the crankset you will be using. If the crank
> uses OctaLink, you have to use the OctaLink bottom
> bracket. The same holds true for the ISIS, if using ISIS
> cranks, using an ISIS bottom bracket is necessary.

Sorry, I didn't completely read your post. Disregard
my drivel.

"Boyd Speerschneider" <bspeerscREMOVE_ME@ME_TOOyahoo.com> wrote:

> What size BB should I get?

The axle length depends entirely on the model of crank you
want to use.

James Thomson

Boyd Speerschneider wrote:

> I recently purchased an '04 Specialized S-Works E-5 frame.
> I didn't know the correct size for the bottom bracket, so
> I called Specialized (it wasn't on their website... go
> figure).
>
> They told me it takes 68mm cups and they gave me two
> options for the spindle length:
>
> 1) 109.5mm for Shimano Octalink
> 2) 108.0mm for ISIS
>
> The problem is that the crankset I want to use is an old
> school square- tapered design.
>
> What size BB should I get?

Depends on the crank you choose. I have a Web page with a
lot of information on this: http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize

Sheldon "Chiffres" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------
---------+
| I'll be traveling in France and England throughout the
| month | of June. I hope to remain online, but don't know
| what sort | of 'Net access I'll be able to get... |
------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find
parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in news:40C4AFB8.108
@sheldonbrown.com:

>> What size BB should I get?
>
> Depends on the crank you choose. I have a Web page with a
> lot of information on this: http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize
>
> Sheldon "Chiffres" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------
> ---------+
>| I'll be traveling in France and England throughout
>| the month | of June. I hope to remain online, but
>| don't know what sort | of 'Net access I'll be able to
>| get... |
> +---------------------------------------------------------
> --------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
> 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-
> find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
> http://sheldonbrown.com

Sheldon, I really appreciate your help. However, the
crankset I want to use is a Coda (Cannondale) about which
there is no info on your site. Any words of wisdom you might
offer in figuring out the correct size BB would be very
appreciated.

- Boyd S.

Boyd Speerschneider <bspeerscREMOVE_ME@ME_TOOyahoo.com>
wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> Sheldon, I really appreciate your help. However, the
> crankset I want to use is a Coda (Cannondale) about which
> there is no info on your site. Any words of wisdom you
> might offer in figuring out the correct size BB would be
> very appreciated.
>
> - Boyd S.

Ah ha! The missing information is revealed. Try this:
1. Put a BB on the bike and install the right crank.
2. Line up the centerline of the crank with the center of
the cassette.
3. If the crank is too far out, get a shorter spindle.
4. If it's too far in, get a longer spindle.

This assumes that there is sufficient clearance for the
chainrings in step 3. Fudging outward a millimeter or two is
allowable. This tool may help with getting things lined up:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/clg2.shtml

Jeff

Boyd Speerschneider wrote:

> However, the crankset I want to use is a Coda (Cannondale)
> about which there is no info on your site. Any words of
> wisdom you might offer in figuring out the correct size BB
> would be very appreciated.

Use whatever length BB places the big ring of a double
crank, or the middle ring of a triple crank, at 45mm from
the centerline of the frame. If this placement causes
clearance issues between the rings and the frame, increase
the spindle length as much as necessary to gain adequate
clearance.

Chalo Colina

bspeers-<< The problem is that the crankset I want to use is
an old school square- tapered design. >><BR><BR>

Which crank is it?

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Which crank is it?

Its a black Coda (Cannondale) 175mm double road crank.
Don't ask me which bike it came off of or what year as I
have no clue. I got it for a pretty good price on eBay a
long time ago.

Thanks for your help,

- Boyd S.