correct tire size?

Warren Ginn

Guest
The rims on my bike say, "26 x 1.5" but the tires I have are 26 x 1.95.

Do I have the wrong size tires?

I am shopping for new tires and I want to be sure I get the right size.

By the way, any suggestions on MTB tires for road use?

Thanks,

Warren

In message <[email protected]>, Warren Ginn
<[email protected]> writes
>The rims on my bike say, "26 x 1.5" but the tires I have are 26 x 1.95.
>
>Do I have the wrong size tires?

The second number relates to the width.

You can use a certain range of tire widths safely on a particular rim width. Sheldon Brown gives
a useful table on this near the end of his article on Tire Sizing. You need to go metric for this
so have a go at the rest of the article and maybe get up to speed on tire sizes using the
consistent ISO system. There is more here perhaps than you will want (or than I can recall after
5 minutes anyway)

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html

>I am shopping for new tires and I want to be sure I get the right size.
>
>By the way, any suggestions on MTB tires for road use?

It depends what you plan to do most. There is a choice from 25mm width Stelvios (high pressure
fast tyres like a road bike) up to 60mm Big Apples just from the one brand Schwalbe. I've used
their City Jets to give an old ATB a lot more go on the road without breaking the bank or shaking
myself to death.

This links to their catalogue in pdf form:

http://www.schwalbetires.com/Tire%20Catalog%202003.pdf

Martyn

--

Martyn Aldis e-mail [email protected]

> In message <[email protected]>, Warren Ginn
> <[email protected]> writes
> >The rims on my bike say, "26 x 1.5" but the tires I have are 26 x 1.95.
> >
> >Do I have the wrong size tires?
> >
> The second number relates to the width.
>
> You can use a certain range of tire widths safely on a particular rim width. Sheldon Brown gives
> a useful table on this near the end of his article on Tire Sizing. You need to go metric for this
> so have a go at the rest of the article and maybe get up to speed on tire sizes using the
> consistent ISO system. There is more here perhaps than you will want (or than I can recall after
> 5 minutes anyway)
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html
>
> >I am shopping for new tires and I want to be sure I get the right size.
> >
> >By the way, any suggestions on MTB tires for road use?
> >
> It depends what you plan to do most. There is a choice from 25mm width Stelvios (high pressure
> fast tyres like a road bike) up to 60mm Big Apples just from the one brand Schwalbe. I've used
> their City Jets to give an old ATB a lot more go on the road without breaking the bank or shaking
> myself to death.
>
> This links to their catalogue in pdf form:
>
> http://www.schwalbetires.com/Tire%20Catalog%202003.pdf
>

> Martyn

26x1.5, I recall is a special size and is not readily available - at least in the US. I think this
came on a few Schwinn models, but even Schwinn (yeah, I know - they are history anyway) did
not really carry it too well. If you can find them, they are pricey. Consider swapping to a
cheap set of "normal" 26" wheels and tires. It might even be cheaper than a pair of those
special tires.

Dan

--

Remove NOT from email address to reply. AntiSpam in action.

> 26x1.5, I recall is a special size and is not readily available - at least in the US. I think this
> came on a few Schwinn models, but even Schwinn (yeah, I know - they are history anyway) did
> not really carry it too well. If you can find them, they are pricey. Consider swapping to a
> cheap set of "normal" 26" wheels and tires. It might even be cheaper than a pair of those
> special tires.
>
> Dan

Ignore Dan; he is misinformed. He is likely confused by the significant difference between 26 x 1.5
and 26 x 1/2. The latter is the rare one.

All will be revealed at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

"Warren Ginn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The rims on my bike say, "26 x 1.5" but the tires I have are 26 x 1.95.
>
> Do I have the wrong size tires?
>
> I am shopping for new tires and I want to be sure I get the right size.
>
> By the way, any suggestions on MTB tires for road use?

"Mountain bike" rims such as yours ( diameter 559mm) are labelled in decimals and can accept the
full range of tires in most cases ( 26x1.125 through 26x2.4 are readily available).

Popular commuting tires are smooth and about 1.5 to 1.75 wide. YMMV

Martyn Aldis wrote

>>You can use a certain range of tire widths safely on a particular rim=20 width. Sheldon Brown
>>gives a useful table on this near the end of his=20 article on Tire Sizing. You need to go metric
>>for this so have a go at =

>>the rest of the article and maybe get up to speed on tire sizes using the consistent ISO system.
>>There i=
s=20

Dan Brussee wrote:

> 26x1.5, I recall is a special size and is not readily available - at=20 least in the US. I think
> this came on a few Schwinn models, but even=20 Schwinn (yeah, I know - they are history
> anyway) did not really carry i=
t=20
> too well. If you can find them, they are pricey. Consider swapping to a=
=20
> cheap set of "normal" 26" wheels and tires. It might even be cheaper=20 than a pair of those
> special tires.

No, you're thinking of 26 x 1 1/2. This is the 584 mm size, more=20 commonly known by its French
designation "650 B". That size was=20 formerly very common in France for utility bikes, tandems and
loaded=20 tourers. This size was also occasionally used by Schwinn, and briefly=20 by Raleigh USA.

You may think that 26 x 1 1/2 is the same as 26 x 1.5, but it isn't. In =

bicycle tire sizing systems, fractions and decimals are NEVER=20 interchangeable. 26 x <decimal>
tires are 559 mm, same size used on=20 virtually all mountain bikes and most cruisers.

There are at least five different 26 x <fraction> sizes, none of which=20 is interchangeable with
any decimal size. The link above gives all the=20 gory details.

Sheldon "ISO/E.T.R.T.O." Brown +----------------------------------------------+
| 31/August 1, M.I.T. Kresge Auditorium | Cambridge, Mass http://web.mit.edu/gsp/www/ |
+----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

> "Warren Ginn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > The rims on my bike say, "26 x 1.5" but the tires I have are 26 x 1.95.
> >
> > Do I have the wrong size tires?
> >
> > I am shopping for new tires and I want to be sure I get the right size.
> >
> > By the way, any suggestions on MTB tires for road use?
>
> "Mountain bike" rims such as yours ( diameter 559mm) are labelled in decimals and can accept the
> full range of tires in most cases ( 26x1.125 through 26x2.4 are readily available).
>
> Popular commuting tires are smooth and about 1.5 to 1.75 wide. YMMV

My bad. Ignore my previous comments.

--

Remove NOT from email address to reply. AntiSpam in action.

Thanks, man. I really appreciate it.

Warren

news:<[email protected]>...

Warren Ginn wrote:

> By the way, any suggestions on MTB tires for road use?

They are very expensive, but if you want very light weight, very narrow tires, look at the
Continental Grand Prix. The Turbo Pro Classics and the inexpensive Fatboys - both from Specialized -
are also worthy road tires.

Dave http://www.icylist.com