Correct Trek 7.2 FX size

seattletwodogs

Jul 6, 2007
The salesman at my local bike shop said that the 20 inch 7.2 FX on the floor was the correct size for me. I am 6'1" and would appreciate knowing whether people who know much more than I would concur with the salesman or are of the opinion that he just wants to sell me the floor model. I see that there are 22.5 and 25" models as well. When I rode it, it was fine but it seemed he raised the seat fairly high to accomodate my height.

Thanks very much in advance to all who take the time to read and reply to this.

Hi i am no expert but just bought a trek 7300 from what i had read i needed a 19 inch frame when i got to the store the salesman ask me my inseam and got down a 17 1/2 in frame i'm 5'9 but only have a 29in inseam there needs to be about an inch between the top bar and your crotch 2 inches on a mountain bike

I ride a 17.5 model 7100fx & I'm about 5 feet 6 tall. Admittingly the bike chose me (it was a bargain I couldn't refuse), so I was lucky it was the right size for me.

The 20inch model seems a reasonable suggestion.
With the relaxed frame geometry & adjustable headset, there is some room for tweeking the bike fit to suit you.
That said, it's your money so buy what you feel confortable with.

Happy riding

Thanks for your feedback.

My inseam is 32-33." Would you feel it is reasonable to check out the feel of any 22.5" Trek on the floor if there isn't an 7.2 FX in stock or is this not really necessary? Should I just not be concerned if the 20" 7.2 FX feels fine despite my observation that the seat was raised significantly to obtain a good comfort level?

Thanks again for your help.

If that's the case, I'd stick the 20inch model.
It seems a good fit and may you have many happy hours riding it.

Since it's a flat-bar handle bike, have you considered adding some sort of bar-ends? On the longer rides, the extra hand-position(s) comes in handy.

Happy riding

Night_owl said:
If that's the case, I'd stick the 20inch model.
It seems a good fit and may you have many happy hours riding it.

Since it's a flat-bar handle bike, have you considered adding some sort of bar-ends? On the longer rides, the extra hand-position(s) comes in handy.

Happy riding
I haven't replied until now because I wanted to try out several different bikes. I recently got a 21" Giant Cypress DX which has been a real pleasure to ride.

Thanks to all for your help.