Correct way to insert ball bearing cage into rear hubs

hedzup

Mar 23, 2008
Hi all,

I've had to replace ball bearings in my rear hubs and the bike shop provided the ball bearings in cages but I realise I am not sure which way the cages go. Can anyone tell me which way they go round?

Cheers

Adrian

hedzup said:
Hi all,

I've had to replace ball bearings in my rear hubs and the bike shop provided the ball bearings in cages but I realise I am not sure which way the cages go. Can anyone tell me which way they go round?

Cheers

Adrian

Balls toward the 'cup'(outside of the bearing assembly), cage toward the 'cone'(inside of bearing assembly).

You can also toss the cage. Add grease to the cup, add balls until all touch, then remove one. Probably about 11.

Peter@vecchios said:
Balls toward the 'cup'(outside of the bearing assembly), cage toward the 'cone'(inside of bearing assembly).

You can also toss the cage. Add grease to the cup, add balls until all touch, then remove one. Probably about 11.
I think thats what I have now got. There is an outer rim on the cage and that is facing out. It seems to gotogether allright and no nasty grinding.

Thanks

Adrian

hedzup said:
I think thats what I have now got. There is an outer rim on the cage and that is facing out. It seems to gotogether allright and no nasty grinding.

Thanks

Adrian

yep, agree. It would be really obvious if it were backward.