Correction:Replacing retainer type ball bearings with loose

Neptune

Guest
Sorry, I meant to say old Stronglight 49D bottom bracket. The Campy has
loose bearings.

Neptune wrote:
> Sorry, I meant to say old Stronglight 49D bottom bracket. The Campy has
> loose bearings.

Loose bearings are better since you get more contact area. Caged
bearings only exist because they're easier to handle.

Neptune wrote:
> Sorry, I meant to say old Stronglight 49D bottom bracket. The Campy has
> loose bearings.

Hmmm, I don't remember a retainer on Stronglight BB's. Old Campy had
retainers... What-ever.

Use new ball bearings. See Sheldon Brown for "why". Cheap at the FLBS.
I've seen at least a couple of the old Stronglight-supplied BB ball
bearings break, ruining the BB cup they were in. --D-y

Nate Knutson wrote:
> Neptune wrote:
>
>>Sorry, I meant to say old Stronglight 49D bottom bracket. The Campy has
>>loose bearings.

> Loose bearings are better since you get more contact area.

Loose bearings are better in this regard *IF* it means more balls will
fit. This is true for many **but not all** retainers.

Campagnolo retainers used to hold a full complement of balls, IIRC - so
all you gained by removing the retainers was saving something like 0.25
grams of weight.

Mark J.