Just bought a Nitto Technomic and when I inserted it into the steerer tube it met with much resistance. Peering inside with a flashlight, I see there quite a bit of corrosion inside the steerer tube. Any tips for smoothing this out so that the stem can instert unobstrcted?
there are reamers,hones and such to do it. You probably don't have anything like that so the easiest is to take a dowel rod or similiar round object, wrap a piece of 80grit or so sandpaper (aluminum oxide is best for metal but others will work) and have at it. Should clean up pretty quick. Tom
Just bought a Nitto Technomic and when I inserted it into the steerer tube it met with much resistance. Peering inside with a flashlight, I see there quite a bit of corrosion inside the steerer tube. Any tips for smoothing this out so that the stem can instert unobstrcted?
Most good bike shops have an adjustable reamer that will do a great job on that. The tool is not cost effective for you to buy for occasional use.
Just bought a Nitto Technomic and when I inserted it into the steerer tube it met with much resistance. Peering inside with a flashlight, I see there quite a bit of corrosion inside the steerer tube. Any tips for smoothing this out so that the stem can instert unobstrcted?
It will probably clean out rather easily when you rotate your stem in there. Coat it with grease then and reinstall the stem. This will stop future corrosion.
Steerers and seat tubes should always be greased inside when the bike is first assembled.
- ----------------------------------------------- Jim Adney [email hidden] Madison, WI 53711 USA -----------------------------------------------