Corrosion on chain and gears no matter how much I wash/wipe it down?

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Quote by Swampy:
"In recent times after Lance 2005 win, Contador, sastre and three years of Di2 - Evans, Wiggo and Froome. Two years of SssssRAM provided a brief hiccup. Meanwhile Camapag took to selling hyper priced group sets in cardboard display boxes, harking back to times when bikes weighed almost as much as a car and riders brazed their own forks on mountain descents." Doper...Doper...question mark...mysterious transformation...space alien. "If Trek had gone to Di2 a year earlier the the giraffe legged one wouldn't likely have made that fluffed shift on the top of that Col..."

If only they had replaced Andy with Linus...free ponies and 1-speed behind the times cassettes for everyone! "If I was compensating for something with the Camaro I would have had the car painted a deep shiny red. But it's a sleeper, looks like a 350 with added SS stripes (not your favorite SS with swastikkas mind you). A sleeper designed to cruise but provide some serious stomp if needed."

SS/RS or Z28. How's it feel driving driving a vehicle with more nose plow the that experimental aircraft carrier John Deere built? "Krystal - I'll leave the meth to you. The only way I'd consider spending twice the amount for something that worked worse is if it came with an Italian supermodel that was in the first throes of meth addition and put out like a rabbit on heat."

It's "Kristal". "The Prius is ace"

er...no need to apologize.

"- 260,000 and all it's needed is oil changes and a few sets of tires. If the brake rotors weren't scored, they could have easily gone another 260,000. Cruising at 80mph at 44mpg and that reliability - I'll take that any day of the week."

I've had Buicks that did that. Hell, I owned a '66 Rambler American that went 220K withOUT regular oil changes. My 1986 CRX did 47 MPG at 70+ MPH. Is THAT all you Pious offers??? Whoop. Tee. Do.

No wonder you settle for shitmaNO ****. You're easily impressed.

"I'll leave you to drive your truck and have to deal with changing belts, alternators and gear box fluid almost as often as I fill that car up with gas. See, those pesky Japanese folks getting their wiring right again... It took the I-ties at Fiat how many years to catch up? ;)"

The last Honda I owned lifted the head gasket at lower miles than the Government Motors POS it replaced. "I suspect that Tullio would be livid that the lack of innovation from his company and lack of progress in the last few years - but leave it to the folks in the far east to kryogenically revive him from the dead and continue their innovations."

It's 'cryo', with a 'c'. As in Campagnolo. With more carbon in Campy groups, more speeds on tap, two brake options, etc. they lead the pack. And Campy was a racer...not a purveyor of mass-market fishing tackle and low end aluminum bike bits.
Shimano was producing freewheels before Campag was founded, circa 1922, in a factory - not sponging off his dad and using his workshop space. Liberal freeloaders I tell ya... You should stop rubbing that krystal into your gums in order to get a chemical buzz and concentrate on the facts and get your history right. Shimano were also the first to push the rear wheel bearings where they should be. Indexed gears - that was another 10 year Campag debacle. Syncro - what the hell did that sync with, certainly wasn't anything else on the drive train. "Make levers click, move cable 'this much', gears go "tztztxttztzttztztztztztzztzzztxxttxttxtxtttxzttzztzttz" - Ug, why it no worky Luigi?" Campagnolo - the only company that could increase the number of pieces in a brake by a factor of 3.23x10^79 and make it weigh twice as much and stop in twice the distance. Remember their mountain bike components - no, most people don't remember that epic fail. Thankfully the MTB crowd went off actual performance and not what some 103 year old dude in a bike shop "said" was the best stuff when he was a lad...

The Camaro was a plain Jane 350 with a slush box but now has the ZZ502, FAST EFI 2.0 fuel injection, Muncie 4speed and a Moser Engineering rear axle and diff that's just as stout and almost as sexy as that found on Kristina Vogel. Nose plow - who cares, that's why I have the S2000. Between the push of the Camaro and the tail happy nature of the Honda there's a lot of fun to be had. Maybe I should start racing again and see if I can win me another SCCA regional championship.

CRX - I used to have one of those (well, the 160bhp VTEC del Sol, known elsewhere as the CRX) but you can only seat two in those. It also didn't qualify for free bridge tolls or carpool lane access, the latter meaning I could cruise home at 60+mph rather than potter along in commute traffic for the first 20 miles at ~15 mph. I could also carry more stuff in the back of the Prius than I could in the Jeep Grand Cherokee that we used to have. What a hateful piece of **** that was.

More carbon - Shimano is one of the largest users of carbon fiber in the world. That they produce most of the Dura Ace components from aluminium and produce stiffer cranks, brakes that stop better, wheels that don't dump you on the side of the road like Valverde in last years Tour and cost you the race... You get the idea. There's a reason why the stiffest cranks and some of the lightest cranks aren't made from carbon. More speed - Campag does 12 speeds now? I guess they still need the rider to specify compact/non-compact too rather than have a one-does-all like Dura Ace and other top of the line chainsets like the Cannondale Si-SL's.

I guess you just like paying twice as much for stuff and dealing with the fact that it don't work as good as other, better made, stuff.

Dopers - yeah the previous Campag equipped Tour winners - Pantani, Riis, Ulrich... all clean right? At least Lance was "forced" to stay below 50% and couldn't use JP9/Avgas in his veins like those guys. Indurain - from could just about finish the Prologue to Tour winner trouncing everyone for about 5 minutes in 40 miles. Squeaky clean for sure. LeMond - his fastest rider were on Mavic... after his "Vitamin B" injections in the ass... Delgado - busted for a substance banned by the IOC but not until the end of that month by the UCI. Roche - like most of Carrera - was found to have a history of EPO and blood doping. Hinault intimated that he used transfusion to "maintain" a healthy level - in the same was that Zoetmelke flat out admitted too last year. Fignon admitted to doping. Merckx was busted a million times as was Anquitil and Coppi flat out admitted doping his entire career. Did I miss any Campagnolo rider's Tour victories there? ;)

I never had the guts to kill myself in the '90s, so I bought a few sets of Campag Monoplaner instead. They did a very good job of almost ending my life; in fact, I don't know how I'm still here today.
I since changed my mind about living, so I sold the Monoplaners to some other daredevil who didn't want brakes -- I explained to him that they were the next best thing.

How about their modern, single-pivot rear brakes? Yikes!
Pro: cuts 10g, which benefits the marketing guys' sales pitch.
Cons: don't work or stay straight. One of my friends rides with a cone spanner in his pocket so he can alignment them every hour or so.

And how about the Campag cable sets? What a bargain!!! Sixty-four bucks for 4 outer and inner cables and caps -- and that's from an online UK shop. I don't even wanna KNOW what they cost in a local shop

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/campagnolo-ultra-shift-gear-brake-cable-set/rp-prod48977?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=Australia&gclid=CODL_tro_70CFY2CvQod0UAABg&gclsrc=aw.ds

The original Campag Chorus brakes (aka monoplanar) are the reason why I couldn't slow down on a wet descent and stuffed my face into the side of a house and fcuked up my shoulder in the process. It's still kinda farked to this day. No chorus of angels was heard during the process of killing my helmet (specialized Airforce 2) A few weeks later , I took a 8lb lump hammer to a part of helmet that was in tact and gave it a fair old whack - didn't leave a mark. It took some unGodly force to replicate the damage of the crash. I wish in addition to the 600EX SIS gears I'd have had Shimano brakes on the bike... ... Those brakes were removed and sold. My Triomphe brakes - never could find a buyer and I still have them. I might throw them on the BBQ and put the video on youtube for Campy Bob.

I raced Chorus monoplaner brakes and they functioned perfectly for the year or so I used them.

Quote by Swampy:
"I couldn't slow down on a wet descent and stuffed my face into the side of a house and fcuked up my shoulder in the process."

Uh...Universal 61's could lock up wheels in the wet. Care to explain your lack of skill instead of trying to pin the blame on a set of brakes the pros came off the Alps in snow storms successfully with?

"It took some unGodly force to replicate the damage of the crash."

The severe blow to the cranium explains your penchant for all things Apple, Pious and shitmaNO.

"It also didn't qualify for free bridge tolls or carpool lane access, the latter meaning I could cruise home at 60+mph rather than potter along in commute traffic for the first 20 miles at ~15 mph."

Dude! Your life decisions keep getting worse! Even where you choose to live reflects poorly.

Buying bike parts because they're cheap and mass produced in China by slave labor...buying vehicles based on what lane the goobermint chooses for you...Living in Commiefornya...commuting and hour to and from work...building cars that won't turn...buying the Kool Aid phone from China...Godwinning yourself with SS stripes...Oy! What next?

"Dopers - yeah the..."
Hey brother! Don't keep whining for another paragraph about shitmaNO-mounted dopers! YOU were the original whiner when I corrected your mis-statement regarding Floyd and his stand-in Tour winner. Both on Campy. It's not my fault if you can't keep your facts straight. "That they produce most of the Dura Ace components from aluminium and produce stiffer cranks... There's a pill for that, now. We know...Dura-Death components are still produced with 1940's technology. Something to do with the ability to copy others' designs. Yeah. 'Big time' carbon inovators. For sure. Psssst! Wanna buy an iPhone? I got a sweet Pious parked right around the corner I can let you have for $25K.

Quote by Aussie531:
"And how about the Campag cable sets? What a bargain!!! Sixty-four bucks for 4 outer and inner cables and caps -- and that's from an online UK shop."

They are, in my experience, the finest in the world. I tried two of the boutique brands out of curiosity (one set was a freebie), Jagwire and Yokozuna (jap, scrap & **** all rhyme for a reason). I re-installed my used Campy set and got more positive shifting and braking.

"How about their modern, single-pivot rear brakes? Yikes!"

Yeah...a response to pro riders that constantly locked up the dual-pivot rear in pack stackups. I rode a single-pivot rear for six seasons on the Douglas with no issues. None. No close calls. No slamming my face into houses. No need to keep adjusting it. None.

It was eminently more controllable during hard stops at the expense of braking distance during average stops. Eventually, most of the pros went back to dual pivots, but you can still find the single-pivot in production in several Campy product lines after all these years and if you read the specs on the pro bikes on Bike Radar or CyclingNews you will find that about a quarter of the Campy equipped bikes used by professional riders are sporting the single-pivot design. I guess there are riders that still want to keep their nose out of Andy's ass crack.

Originally Posted by swampy1970

The original Campag Chorus brakes (aka monoplanar) are the reason why I couldn't slow down on a wet descent and stuffed my face into the side of a house and fcuked up my shoulder in the process. It's still kinda farked to this day. No chorus of angels was heard during the process of killing my helmet (specialized Airforce 2)

A few weeks later , I took a 8lb lump hammer to a part of helmet that was in tact and gave it a fair old whack - didn't leave a mark. It took some unGodly force to replicate the damage of the crash. I wish in addition to the 600EX SIS gears I'd have had Shimano brakes on the bike...

... Those brakes were removed and sold. My Triomphe brakes - never could find a buyer and I still have them. I might throw them on the BBQ and put the video on youtube for Campy Bob.
Interesting!!!

I love Campagnolo's Monoplaner brake calipers!

This could be an instance of where ignorance-is-bliss because I haven't crashed when using a pair on any of the bikes which I have ... at least, not yet!

It could be that AFTER having previously used crappy steel calipers on a 3-speed (with steel rims, of course!) followed by the too-flexible-for-description MAFAC Racer brake calipers that ANY Campagnolo/-copy caliper seemed to have extraordinary slowing-and-/or-stopping powers ...

I suspect it was the wet (!!!) conditions + (certainly?!?) the brake pads you had + (possibly!?!) your technique which contributed to your untimely appointment with "the side of a house" ...

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
I raced Chorus monoplaner brakes and they functioned perfectly for the year or so I used them.

Quote by Swampy:
"I couldn't slow down on a wet descent and stuffed my face into the side of a house and fcuked up my shoulder in the process."

Uh...Universal 61's could lock up wheels in the wet. Care to explain your lack of skill instead of trying to pin the blame on a set of brakes the pros came off the Alps in snow storms successfully with?

"It took some unGodly force to replicate the damage of the crash."

The severe blow to the cranium explains your penchant for all things Apple, Pious and shitmaNO.

"It also didn't qualify for free bridge tolls or carpool lane access, the latter meaning I could cruise home at 60+mph rather than potter along in commute traffic for the first 20 miles at ~15 mph."

Dude! Your life decisions keep getting worse! Even where you choose to live reflects poorly.

Buying bike parts because they're cheap and mass produced in China by slave labor...buying vehicles based on what lane the goobermint chooses for you...Living in Commiefornya...commuting and hour to and from work...building cars that won't turn...buying the Kool Aid phone from China...Godwinning yourself with SS stripes...Oy! What next?

"Dopers - yeah the..."
Hey brother! Don't keep whining for another paragraph about shitmaNO-mounted dopers! YOU were the original whiner when I corrected your mis-statement regarding Floyd and his stand-in Tour winner. Both on Campy. It's not my fault if you can't keep your facts straight. "That they produce most of the Dura Ace components from aluminium and produce stiffer cranks... There's a pill for that, now. We know...Dura-Death components are still produced with 1940's technology. Something to do with the ability to copy others' designs. Yeah. 'Big time' carbon inovators. For sure. Psssst! Wanna buy an iPhone? I got a sweet Pious parked right around the corner I can let you have for $25K.
Pro's coming of mountains successfully on Camapg brakes. Explain why one of the best descenders - Fignon, ended up fishing his bike out of a tree in the Alps and Hinault in his earlier years disappeared down an escarpment because his brakes just didn't want to play ball. I'd hazard a guess that they're both better than I going down hill and even equipped with Campag brakes they're both getting an unscheduled face full of nature...

I did use the Delta brakes for a few years on my TT bike - just because they prevented me from slowing down too much but from what I've learned about aerodynamics they were **** at that too. Heavy, don't stop, shiny windsock... Fantasticisimo!!!! More vino to celebrato!!!

On the subject of **** - why did NJS remove Campag from the list of certified components suitable for Keirin? Weak and not strong enough - never a good combo. Maybe it was those cheap stamped chainrings - cheap in quality and not in price. Made of the same production line as Shimano Sora which also shares that funky thumb lever on the side of the brake lever for gear changes.

Alloy is ****? Why did the Campag Super Record RS (what next, even more letter to make their new best group even better than their old best group) use alloy for the front mech rather than carbon. Lighter, stiffer and works better... Shocker. According to Campag the change was needed to make gear changing more reliable. What? You pay a ton more than Dura Ace and your current top of the line groupset throws chains? Say it ain't so, Bob. Say it ain't so... They'll make a lighter one called "Campagnolo Super Record RS SL Titanium 90th Anniversary" with the body of the rear mech enlarged to house all those letters in a few years.

I buy stuff because it works. Two things that work equally as well with the same reputation, no need to buy the more expensive stuff. That said, Super Record is not as good as Dura Ace. If Campag ever got around to buying an autoclave instead of recycling jelly molds used for Tupperware then their cranks might not flex under load like a willow branch in a strong breeze. Sounds like Campy needs more stiffness... Maybe being camp is the problem - no 'stiffness' when needed. They do have pills for that, you should take them. I used to work for a company that was taken over by Jarden - who had another company that made plastic spoon in a Romanian factory. They moved production when they found they couldn't make the 'fancy' spoons stiff enough. Seems like a common thing in those ex-commie factories. "We work you but your stuff won't work for you" is their moto. Do Campag parts have the hammer and sickle stamped in them these days?

Speaking of camp - is there a reason that the bizarre brake lever hoods for Super Record from a couple of years ago look like a prostate massager. What to those campy users get up to in the communal Roubaix showers?

Remember those Campag clipless pedals they tried selling in the late 80's. They looked a bit like inverted delta brakes but weighed 10 times as much. Keywin made something similar that was really light and worked well. Weird. Campags saving grace was the good bearings - not that anyone actually bought any pedals and rode with them mind you - the bearings only helped the mechanics that mounted them on display bikes. Campag produced a special pedal spanner than was 25ft long to overcome the planet like mass as the axles were rotated. They also have a special lifting mechanism for the C-Record rear mech as it was twice as heavy as the Super Record it replaced and often stripped out threads when installed by hand. The ensuing 194 page install guide was required to make it work properly. Sadly for Bernard Hinault, his mechanic didn't read it - and the results of The Badger slipping his gears twice in the final 10 yards up Superbagneres in the 86 Tour were plain for all to see. Odd that Shimano's budget rear mech - the 600EX SIS was lighter and had indexing that worked and didn't use the same technology employed since the Gran Sport rear mech in 1951 like the C-Record.

I bought the Prius because I like to hear folks like you complain when you realize that you were subsidizing my bridge tolls. At $10 per day and ~250 days, you effectively paid $2,500 for me, per year, Campy old chap - cheers. Feel free to complain when you also helped pay me $10,000 in federal rebates for the solar power system that sits on my roof that's fully paid off and keeps my electric bill at ~500kw/h for the year or about $60 thanks to all the sun and good weather - unlike that ice box that you live in during winter and humid hell hole in summer. When it's 105F and low humidity here, I'll be indoors with the A/C cranked and my electric bill won't look like a nightmare. That big dual stage compressor HVAC had a nice Federal rebate on it too - thanks again Bob, apart from the weird Campag fetish, you seem quite the generous bloke.

I guess now it all makes sense - you like to give away your money! That's why you pay more for your bike stuff than you really need too.

$25k for a Prius - fark that. Which dumbass would buy new? OK, maybe me in a couple of years when I rustle up the funds for a Tesla and recharge at the local Tesla 'supercharger' station for free - paid for my CampyBob's generous tax money and Federal rebates for the car again provided by CampyBob. I guess when you drive a Buick you need to buy new in order to have at least a few years of semi trouble free operation. $9K used for the Prius thank you very much... which when you include the savings on the bridge tolls and 30 minutes saving each way for a couple of years when calculated at my IT contractors rate, the car almost paid for itself. I did have plans to sell it when the carpool lane sticker expired but selling something that doesn't breakdown and gets great gas mileage would be dumb. Then again, dumb is more your thing.. Seems like a ton of taxi drivers in NYC are still driving 2005 Prius and are still going good with almost 1,000,000 city miles on them. When, or should I say if, the batteries finally **** out, I'm sure the Feds will designate your neck of the woods as an ace place to store them.

Alf,

I think the rain, diesel and cowshit on the road did play a big part in the attempted house remodeling but the fact is, none of my friends seemed to suffer the same fate... The joys of rural Wales.

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy
My Surly Pug keeps getting rust on the chain and gears post-ride, even though I am rinsing it down and then cleaning and drying it off and re-lubing it.

It has been exposed to a significant amount of road salt on almost every ride, due to our record snowfall this year. I am sure that is a contributing factor.
Resign yourself to the fact that it's impossible to totally eliminate rust once it takes hold. Console yourself in the fact that chains and cassettes are disposables, and you'll probably be buying new ones before they get too grotty.

Quote by Swampy:
"none of my friends seemed to suffer the same fate... "

So in addition to making one poor decision after another it seems that you, among your many friends, were the only one that did not master riding a bicycle.

Those are the prototypical shitmaNO riders.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat

Resign yourself to the fact that it's impossible to totally eliminate rust once it takes hold. Console yourself in the fact that chains and cassettes are disposables, and you'll probably be buying new ones before they get too grotty.
True. I took CampyBob's suggestion about the lubricants and cleaning and it was much better, just a "normal" level of corrosion. As far as replacing things, I got no problem with that, when it's time, it's time.

And speaking of time...

It's time to clean and gauge the chain today. The amount of road grit is at unprecedented levels this year. Corner gently, for there lurks the skid demon!

Menard's has Liquid Wrench Chain & Cable Lube, Penetrating Oil and Silicon Lube on sale for $2.29 per can (sometimes they put it on sale for $1.99...stock up then!). WD-40 with the Smart-Straw can should be going on sale soon. $4.00/can IIRC.

Silicon lube is the work of the devil unless you completely strip all the factory supplied lube that's worked deep inside the chain when new. I've always thought it was the case but some of the chemists at work that construct the formulas for lube oils and additives hold the same opinion. Oil or GTFO.

CAMPYBOB said:
Quote by Swampy: "[COLOR=181818]none of my friends seemed to suffer the same fate... [/COLOR]" So in addition to making one poor decision after another it seems that you, among your many friends, were the only one that did not master riding a bicycle. Those are the prototypical shitmaNO riders.
Poor decisions - I've made a few. Installing Campag when i could have had Dura Ace 7403 or SunTour Superbe Pro was one of them. The only redeeming component was the Shamal wheels. Heavy, but very nice. Shame that the hubs weren't as good as the older Super Record though... ... The really bad decision was riding a friends Ducati 888SP2 instead of my EXUP one summer afternoon. Italian wiring at its finest. A common theme... Maybe that's why so many Lambo's and Ferrari's set of fire...Things turn to **** fast when Paulo's loose cables cut the spark when leaned over at a million miles per hour. The one thing Italians do make well - clothes - saved my ass. Mr Dainese and Sidi are folks that I'm eternally grateful too. Even in England and riding 350 miles a week during winter, I can't remember my chain rusting or sprockets wearing really fast despite all the rock salt that was liberally scattered on the roads. Y'all should buy some good chains and use proper oil instead of using silicon and KY Jelly.

We don't have a Menard's in the immediate area, wish we did. Closest one I know of is about 20 miles but in a part of town I never go to, western Wayne County.

Quote by MBB:
"Closest one I know of is about 20 miles but in a part of town I never go to, western Wayne County."

Shop armed!

Silicone spray makes a great el cheapo product for cleaning and lubricating. At $2/can you can use it as a pressure washer to blast grit and crud off bike parts and leave a protective film. Hell, the can is mainly petroleum distillates with the extra-slick added as a selling point. It works well om areas like the rear derailleur. A few quick blasts and wipe down and all the road grit is gone. Cleans and lubricates.

The Liquid Wrench chain lube goes on wet and penetrates the rollers well, then dries to a tacky, thicker viscosity. I soak the chain down with the Magic Elf-made Finish Line 'Wet' oil after the Liquid Wrench stuff dries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Heeey, these shorts and skirts ain't regulation!
big-smile.png

****!!!! I paid for those M-16's with my tax dollars! The little blonde Israelite on the left will be my captive in Babylon!

Kinda gives a whole new meaning to the Gaza Strip!

Ah, suburban Wayne County isn't dangerous, just older blue collar boring. Think I need some kind of lubricant for my legs today - did an hour of hill sprints, suicides, and some sled pulls last night, and today I am in a little pain, knees are bothering me. Guess it's Advil time, because the warm front came through, it's close to 70 and I am not missing the chance to ride in those conditions.

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy
True. I took CampyBob's suggestion about the lubricants and cleaning and it was much better, just a "normal" level of corrosion. As far as replacing things, I got no problem with that, when it's time, it's time.

Quote:
You kids get off my lawn!

"CAMPYBOB will tell you..."

0.jpg