Cortisone Injections

camhabib

Jul 14, 2005
I've been playing tennis for around 6 hours a day, almost every day since I was 4 or 5. I did this up until last year when, while doing my other sport DH race skiing, I injured myself my tearing the ligament on my right hand thumb as well as shattering the knuckle. I have since recovered and picked up a tennis racquet the beginning of this summer and severely damaged my right shoulder.

I went today to the docs, one of the best ortho surgeons (Dr.Zarins (sp?), head surgeon for the Red Socks, Patriots, Bruins, and sports stars from literally all around the world). He gave me a shot of Cortisone into my AC joint as well as ball / socket. He injected quite a bit as he said I had rather sever inflammation (aka couldn't move my arm above head, behind back, or across chest). It was fine for the first hour while the lidocaine was still working but now, it hurts like a sob. Going on the indoor trainer probably didn’t help a whole lot either.

I took some Advil (2 pills) but it didn't do too much. Anyone have some suggestions of ways to get ride of the pain? I have some extra pain killers (prescription, not OVC) that are left over from previous surgeries. I'm reluctant to take them because they sometimes upset my stomach, however I will if anyone knows if they'll help. I am a pre-med student and can have checked for dangerous interactions and have found none between any of the meds I have. A took a warm shower that seemed to help a bit but it’s really not enough. Thanks.

-Cameron

camhabib said:
I've been playing tennis for around 6 hours a day, almost every day since I was 4 or 5. I did this up until last year when, while doing my other sport DH race skiing, I injured myself my tearing the ligament on my right hand thumb as well as shattering the knuckle. I have since recovered and picked up a tennis racquet the beginning of this summer and severely damaged my right shoulder.

I went today to the docs, one of the best ortho surgeons (Dr.Zarins (sp?), head surgeon for the Red Socks, Patriots, Bruins, and sports stars from literally all around the world). He gave me a shot of Cortisone into my AC joint as well as ball / socket. He injected quite a bit as he said I had rather sever inflammation (aka couldn't move my arm above head, behind back, or across chest). It was fine for the first hour while the lidocaine was still working but now, it hurts like a sob. Going on the indoor trainer probably didn’t help a whole lot either.

I took some Advil (2 pills) but it didn't do too much. Anyone have some suggestions of ways to get ride of the pain? I have some extra pain killers (prescription, not OVC) that are left over from previous surgeries. I'm reluctant to take them because they sometimes upset my stomach, however I will if anyone knows if they'll help. I am a pre-med student and can have checked for dangerous interactions and have found none between any of the meds I have. A took a warm shower that seemed to help a bit but it’s really not enough. Thanks.

-Cameron
Cameron, really it sounds like you need to take some time off and let the cortisone do it's work. Since tennis is what caused your injury then at least 6 weeks away from tennis is in order.
It wouldn't think that riding a bike would be damaging to the shoulder, but to the extent that it hurts intensely in the coming days you may just want to stay off the bike or trainer until the intense pain is subsided.
If you find that the pain is too great to train then don't train, but if it's too great to function at school or work then by all means take the stronger pain medication you have in the meantime.
You should notice a dramatic improvement in the following days as the cortison does it's work but don't be tempted to pick up the tennis racquet.

jyeager said:
Cameron, really it sounds like you need to take some time off and let the cortisone do it's work. Since tennis is what caused your injury then at least 6 weeks away from tennis is in order.
It wouldn't think that riding a bike would be damaging to the shoulder, but to the extent that it hurts intensely in the coming days you may just want to stay off the bike or trainer until the intense pain is subsided.
If you find that the pain is too great to train then don't train, but if it's too great to function at school or work then by all means take the stronger pain medication you have in the meantime.
You should notice a dramatic improvement in the following days as the cortison does it's work but don't be tempted to pick up the tennis racquet.
I've given up tennis for good since the beginning of the summer. Except for recreational playing once in a while, I think my tournament days are over. The stress that it puts on all my joint, including my shoulder and knee, its not worth it. That’s one of the main reasons I picked up cycling; the lack of ability to play tennis any more. The damage is already done so playing would just damage it again I feel, even it if did have time to heal. Its getting a little better today, thanks for the advise though.

-Cameron