Cortisone (sp?)

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> The monkey gets a shot of dried up Australian spit?!

If Australian spit is supposed to be so powerful, Perhaps Jeff can
supplement his meager income by selling syringes full of spit.

> " Ephedrine and pseudoephedrine are not really stimulants, they bind to
> alpha and beta adrenergic receptors and also release noradrenaline from
> neurons in the brain resulting in systemic effects such as increased BP,
> vasoconstriction and rapid heartbeat."
>
> The adrenergic receptor site stimulation is what makes these agents
> stimulants. Increased adrenergic receptor stimulation leads to the
> cardiovascular effects noted above as well as CNS effects of increased
> alertness, decreased sleep, increased agitations, etc. Did "*sigh*" have
> some other definition of "stimulant"?
>
> Mike Murray

Dopamine(the "get going" neurotransmitter) is the keyword.... most if not
all real stimulants work by modulating DA (and NE to some degree), the DA
receptors are well known for producing pleasure, motivation and drive.
Medications that block them act as reverse stimulants (apathy, fatigue,
problems with focusing, tiredness, less movement). Haldol and levopromazine
and fine examples.

> > Jesus, I just realised you are an MD....As someone who is using the
> > credentials to pretend to be an authority I must redouble my
> > statement. Before pretending to be an authority on a topic and using
> > your credentials to back you statments please do some research!!!
> > IS effective for asthmatics. It works as a
> > decongestant and a bronchodilator!

> I think you need to read Dr. Murray's post again: nowhere does he state that
> ephedrine or pseudoephedrine are without effect on asthma. Rather, he
> expresses the opinion that they have no legitimate role in treatment of this
> condition. At least with regards to pseudoephedrine, he apparently bases his
> opinion on the potential adverse effects.
>
> Andy Coggan (still a big Mike Murray fan)

You are correct. Although I would disagree with Dr. Murray's
conclusion that pseudoephedrine is not a legitmate treatmant for
asthma there is a difference between being "legitimate" and "being
without effect" and for being inflamatory and mis-interepting this I
am sorry.

Still I would argue that it is near impossible to create a beta-2
agonist without a systemic smooth muscle reaction and the systemic
"stimulant" effect and that while it could be argued that inhaled
beta-2 agonsit such as abutrol etc. would be more appriopriate,
pseudoephedrine has years of use behind it with little adverse
side-effects and is a great alpa-1 agonist with signifigant beta-2
"leak" (anacedotal) that is commonly prescribed and taken OTC by
millions of americans. What little "stimulant" effects it may have are
far less general than say even caffeine. As a result, in my opinion,
pseudoephedrine is a low side-effect, and effective treatment and any
performance-enhancing effect is minimal at a resonable dose. Therefore
should be threshold as is the case.

Ephedra while another topic entirely, is still a very legitimate
asthma treatment as it's mechanism of effect is essentially identical
to all other fast acting asthma treatments (i.e. as abeta-2
agonistic). While, it is probably rightfully on the banned list I
personally feel that taking ephedra to treat asthma is far safer than
say loading youself up with fluticasone.

h squared <[email protected]> wrote:

> i finally did get my shot at the county health place, but thanks to you
> (and tom and threeducks) for letting me know too.
>
> they didn't seem to have any problem there with giving an immunization
> to a stranger, but whatever, i don't really care. i was willing to pay
> cash on the spot for the shot, and if my medical clinic doesn't want the
> money i'm happy i found someone else who does. also, a physical check-up
> isn't cheap. i need to save my cash for times when i actually need the
> doctor. since my doctor *is* a clinic for poor people, i thought they
> would understand this mindset, but oh well.

This reminds me of when I got a letter from the university, a month before
going to grad school. There had been a measles epidemic (that's 3 cases)
and so they required proof of an up to date measles shot before I
could enroll. I was working part-time and had no health plan, so most
doctors and clinics wouldn't even make an appointment within a month, let
alone give me a shot. Of course, once I enrolled at the university, I
could get a free measles shot at the student health clinic, but I couldn't
enroll because I didn't have the shot. The name of this particular catch
is, um, Catch-21? No, Catch-22, that's it.

Fortunately it turned out that since I was working part time at a college
I could pay _their_ student clinic for a measles shot. I didn't think of
the county health board. It's funny how non-obvious it was to get an
immunization against a communicable disease, I think this is the kind of
story that keeps public health people up at night.

Steven wrote:

> Ephedra while another topic entirely, is still a very legitimate
> asthma treatment as it's mechanism of effect is essentially identical
> to all other fast acting asthma treatments (i.e. as abeta-2
> agonistic). While, it is probably rightfully on the banned list I
> personally feel that taking ephedra to treat asthma is far safer than
> say loading youself up with fluticasone.

Except that if someone needs fluticasone to control their asthma,
ephedra isn't going to do jack for them because it won't do anthing to
control inflamation.

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 04:47, Threeducks wrote:
> ephedra isn't going to do jack for them because it won't do anthing to
> control inflamation.

I don't know about ephedra, but phaedra will even induce swelling. Lemme
see, I think I have some references. Yes http://snurl.com/phaedra

(Cycling **** link o/t day because she was Roger De Vlaeminck's old
girlfriend (well, very *young* girlfriend actually))

Benjamin Weiner wrote:

> h squared <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>i finally did get my shot at the county health place, but thanks to you
>>(and tom and threeducks) for letting me know too.
>>
>>they didn't seem to have any problem there with giving an immunization
>>to a stranger, but whatever, i don't really care. i was willing to pay
>>cash on the spot for the shot, and if my medical clinic doesn't want the
>>money i'm happy i found someone else who does. also, a physical check-up
>>isn't cheap. i need to save my cash for times when i actually need the
>>doctor. since my doctor *is* a clinic for poor people, i thought they
>>would understand this mindset, but oh well.

> This reminds me of when I got a letter from the university, a month before
> going to grad school. There had been a measles epidemic (that's 3 cases)
> and so they required proof of an up to date measles shot before I
> could enroll. I was working part-time and had no health plan, so most
> doctors and clinics wouldn't even make an appointment within a month, let
> alone give me a shot. Of course, once I enrolled at the university, I
> could get a free measles shot at the student health clinic, but I couldn't
> enroll because I didn't have the shot. The name of this particular catch
> is, um, Catch-21? No, Catch-22, that's it.
>
> Fortunately it turned out that since I was working part time at a college
> I could pay _their_ student clinic for a measles shot. I didn't think of
> the county health board. It's funny how non-obvious it was to get an
> immunization against a communicable disease, I think this is the kind of
> story that keeps public health people up at night.

Yes--it's not obvious now. But I'm just about old enough to remember
the polio panics in the 1950s, and Jonas Salk was greeted like he was
the second coming.
Of course, tetanus isn't contagious, but measles is supposed to be one
of the most communicable diseases there is.

Steve (had measles at age 4)

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com