Cost-effective synthetic walking sock?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jake, Apr 18, 2006.

  1. Jake

    Jake Guest

    Everyone keeps recommending wool-rich socks for walking. Unfortunately
    I'm allergic to wool. It makes me itch like a bitch... Can anyone
    recommend a medium-light synthetic sock for backpacking that doesn't
    cost an arm and a leg? Something that has all the benefits of wool
    except for the itchiness?

    Thanks,

    Jake

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Jake wrote:
    > Everyone keeps recommending wool-rich socks for walking. Unfortunately
    > I'm allergic to wool. It makes me itch like a bitch... Can anyone
    > recommend a medium-light synthetic sock for backpacking that doesn't
    > cost an arm and a leg? Something that has all the benefits of wool
    > except for the itchiness?

    Perhaps look at running socks, they have less tendency to use wool.
    Bridgedale Active is one that doesn't have any wool, I'm pretty sure my
    Thor-Lo running socks don't have any wool either.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  3. mick

    mick Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:51:23 +0100, Jake wrote:

    > Everyone keeps recommending wool-rich socks for walking. Unfortunately
    > I'm allergic to wool. It makes me itch like a bitch... Can anyone
    > recommend a medium-light synthetic sock for backpacking that doesn't
    > cost an arm and a leg? Something that has all the benefits of wool
    > except for the itchiness?

    I haven't tried them (yet), but how about Aldi's from tomorrow? From
    blurb: "Tactel nylon inner lining with Lycra". No mention of wool. At 2.49
    a pair they must be worth investigation.

    --
    Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
    Remove blockage to use my email address

  4. AL D

    AL D Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:41:41 GMT, mick <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I haven't tried them (yet), but how about Aldi's from tomorrow? From
    >blurb: "Tactel nylon inner lining with Lycra". No mention of wool. At 2.49
    >a pair they must be worth investigation.

    Hi Mick. Thanks for that lead. I bought a couple of pairs today. I'm
    just not an expert so I can't comment on the quality. However, I can
    say that the heel and toe is the same thickness as the rest of the
    sock. -So I'm rather puzzled as to why they call it a hi-tec hiking
    sock.

    Still, they seem comfortable enough and hopefully will last. Time will
    tell.

    Jake

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    AL D wrote:

    > heel and toe is the same thickness as the rest of the
    > sock. -So I'm rather puzzled as to why they call it a hi-tec hiking
    > sock.

    Because (call me cynical...) (a) it uses Miracle Man Made Fibres that
    have been developed this side of WW2 and (b) marketing departments like
    to use "hi-tech" as a handily meaningless term that is often interpreted
    as "good" by the punters...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  6. Jake

    Jake Guest

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:02:00 +0100, Peter Clinch
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Because (call me cynical...) (a) it uses Miracle Man Made Fibres that
    >have been developed this side of WW2 and (b) marketing departments like
    >to use "hi-tech" as a handily meaningless term that is often interpreted
    >as "good" by the punters...

    Right. BTW, I've just discovered the inner liner, made of some thin
    material. This'll be the first sock I've tried with a liner. It'll be
    interesting to discover if it seems to help. It is, I gather, supposed
    to draw moisture away from the foot and reduce friction.

    Jake

  7. mick

    mick Guest

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:25:32 +0100, AL D wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:41:41 GMT, mick <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I haven't tried them (yet), but how about Aldi's from tomorrow? From
    >>blurb: "Tactel nylon inner lining with Lycra". No mention of wool. At 2.49
    >>a pair they must be worth investigation.

    > Hi Mick. Thanks for that lead. I bought a couple of pairs today. I'm
    > just not an expert so I can't comment on the quality. However, I can
    > say that the heel and toe is the same thickness as the rest of the
    > sock. -So I'm rather puzzled as to why they call it a hi-tec hiking
    > sock.
    >
    > Still, they seem comfortable enough and hopefully will last. Time will
    > tell.

    I got a couple of pairs too, so I hope I'll be more certain next time! ;-)
    They *look* ok.

    --
    Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
    Remove blockage to use my email address
    Web: http://www.nascom.info & http://mixpix.batcave.net

  8. Jake

    Jake Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:28:56 GMT, mick <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I got a couple of pairs too, so I hope I'll be more certain next time! ;-)
    >They *look* ok.

    Yeah, I went back and bought a xouple more pairs today, before they
    sell out.

    I'll give you a "secret tip", if you're interested: Tesco's sell a
    'sports sock', cotton rich with padded heels and toes. (they have a
    crescent moon logo on the ankle). They are only £3 for three pairs and
    are the most comfortable socks I've ever tried. I'm not sure which
    will last longest though: the Lidl's or the Tesco's. Time only will
    tell. I'll be putting both to the test this Spring/Summer.

    Jake