cost for building a bike

Jeff Sutton

Guest
How much do most bike shops charge for building a bike (assuming I provide frame and components)?

TIA

Jeff

> How much do most bike shops charge for building a bike (assuming I provide frame and components)?

It's going to depend upon several factors, including the general cost of doing business in your area
and the expertise of the shop. In our area (San Francisco Bay Area), this ranges from perhaps $150
up to $400. At many shops, the $150 would *not* be a bargain. At some shops, the $400 might be a
rip-off. Best to get recommendations from local cyclists, as well as your own gut feelings (if you
have a shop that's been good to deal with for other things, it's quite possible they'd be a good
place for the assembly).

Having said all that, it's almost always preferable to have the bike assembled by the same people
who sold you the frame & components. Much less potential for finger-pointing that way. It also goes
without saying that it will be easier to be properly fit, since they can swap components to
properly size you.

Our local builder charges $100; not including wheel building.

Bernie

Mike Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > How much do most bike shops charge for building a bike (assuming I
provide
> > frame and components)?
>
> It's going to depend upon several factors, including the general cost of doing business in your
> area and the expertise of the shop. In our area
(San
> Francisco Bay Area), this ranges from perhaps $150 up to $400. At many shops, the $150 would *not*
> be a bargain. At some shops, the $400 might
be
> a rip-off. Best to get recommendations from local cyclists, as well as
your
> own gut feelings (if you have a shop that's been good to deal with for
other
> things, it's quite possible they'd be a good place for the assembly).
>
> Having said all that, it's almost always preferable to have the bike assembled by the same people
> who sold you the frame & components. Much
less
> potential for finger-pointing that way. It also goes without saying that
it
> will be easier to be properly fit, since they can swap components to properly size you.

Jeff:

My ~2 cents worth:

Have the Headset, BB and crank professionally installed (including facing and thread chasing) and do
the rest yourself. Probably cost you $50 - $75 and you'll learn a lot in the process. All the tools
you need are a set of wire cutters, a set of hex wrenches (metric), flat and phillips screwdrivers,
an adjustable wrench and some patience. Oh, and some knowledge source, such as the Park Tool web
site which has detailed instructions for most if not all of the work you will need to do.

App