Cost of petrol / Gasoline

dominikk85 said:
Of course we have better infrastructure, railroads and other transportation outside of the big cities but on the other hand they just have more space between cities. so building infrastructure in those huge lands is an almost impossible task because you have so much no mans land. this increases the need for cheap energy. Of course the USA also have a lot of not so energy intensive industry like the silicon valley computer industry and micro engeneering but they also still have a lot of large stuff engeneering and agriculture which needs a lot of energy.
It's not impossible at all to have proper and robust infrastructure in a country as large as the UW. It is however proving to be nearly impossible, not because of the size of the country but rather because no one is willing to spend what needs to be spent to bring our infrastructure up to the level at which it should be. As for energy, that are some farms that have been and are on the leading edge of new energy development. An energy discussion, though, isn't one that you want to have outside of the "Your Bloody Soap Box" sub-forum. It's discussion that is likely to become very heated.

printingray said:
Yes, Venezuela, due to its high oil reserves, is still the cheapest.
What you mean is Venezuela, due to its high, state controlled oil reserves, is still the cheapest. Venezuela also has an awesome inflation rate, 17.9%.

I take the car only when I have to, gas is so expensive these days I cant afford to take the car out for fun. If I have to go somewhere and it is walking distance I'll walk or ride my bike unfortunately anything else I have to do such as doctors appointments and such I have to take the car. I'm trying my best to get the bike out more often though so that I don't have to worry about gas and the environment, every little bit helps.

Yes, the cost of petrol and gasoline is increasing significantly with time and so there is a need to switch to other means of transport which are cheaper such as cycles or public transportaion system which consists of bus, trains, etc.

Also, there is a need to change our thinking because of the rising pollution.

A litre of petrol is €1.45 here
A litre of diesel is €1.30.

Expensive by international standards I guess.
Motor fuels is subject to value added tax, and carbon taxes, excise duty.
In fact about 60% of the cost of a litre is made up of taxes :angry: