Cost of rebuilding wheels?

supergrill

Feb 24, 2004
What is a reasonable price ($US) for a LBS to charge for DB spokes and to rebuild a standard 32H front rim that is in good shape? Thanks.

supergrill said:
What is a reasonable price ($US) for a LBS to charge for DB spokes and to rebuild a standard 32H front rim that is in good shape? Thanks.
Around $50 US

daveornee said:
Around $50 US

Cripes! $50 to redo one with 2500 miles on it or $120 for a brand new one from an e-tailer? Aren't any of these cyclig decisions easy? :confused:

supergrill said:
Cripes! $50 to redo one with 2500 miles on it or $120 for a brand new one from an e-tailer? Aren't any of these cyclig decisions easy? :confused:
The $50 rebuild will last probably longer than the $120 wheel from an unknown builder.

Weisse Luft said:
The $50 rebuild will last probably longer than the $120 wheel from an unknown builder.
Is a rebuild worth it though. I recently had to buy a new rear wheel because mine wouldn't true any more. It was Shimano XTR (I think) and that is what I replaced it with ($150US). I asked about rebuilding, and my LBS said that would cost more than the $150US.

daveornee said:
Around $50 US
I was quoted $80 for spokes,nipples and labor by a guy that really knows what he is doing. I got a cheap rebuild done by a moron that used the wrong length spokes and dished the rear wheel backwards...LOL.

boudreaux said:
I was quoted $80 for spokes,nipples and labor by a guy that really knows what he is doing. I got a cheap rebuild done by a moron that used the wrong length spokes and dished the rear wheel backwards...LOL.

Agree getting a trouble-free wheel is a lot more important than just finding a low-price. I went to an LBS with a good rep here last year and paid $100 each, but that included new MA-3 rims in addition to the spokes and nipples.