cost of rollers?

Sm

Guest
Hi there - what can I expect to pay for a good set of rollers new? What opinions do you guys have in
regards to Rollers v Rear Wheel Trainers?

Cheers

I'm not sure of the price. There are many out there to choose from. I have had my McLain rollers for
12 years I know of. They still roll great. They help you focus on smooth pedaling and accelleration.
If you have noticed, when some riders pedal on straights and are trying to accelerate the rear of
their bike seems to sway abnormally...That is from not having control. You can get control of that
abnormal sway by using rollers. Some people don't think they are worth the trouble and deplore
rollers over the fixed fork ones. I find that on a fixed fork trainer I am uncomfortable with the
riding position.I feel like I am leaning whenever the trainer is set up correctly. Apparently, I
don't ride my bike exactly straight up and down. Another plus for having a roller trainer is that
you can focus on high cadence intervals.

A better idea for training would be to have both a fixed fork type of training system and Rollers
for training.

Remember, if the learning curve on the rollers doesn't kill or maim you for life then you will
become a better rider. :)

imho,

NS

"SM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi there - what can I expect to pay for a good set of rollers new? What opinions do you guys have
> in regards to Rollers v Rear Wheel Trainers?
>
> Cheers

You can get a set of Performance Technique rollers son sale for $99.00 right now. Those are the ones
I've been using for the past couple of years, and they work just fine. I've also got the resistance
unit for a tougher workout.

One advantage of the rollers is they force you to balance while spinning. But you can't do
"jumps" very easily in your workout, since you run the danger of hopping the track. We actually
had a guy local to our bike club in Maryland die recently because he came out of the rollers and
struck his head on his living room table (no joke). For this reason, I wear my helmet when using
the rollers, and also ride them in a doorway, so if I start to tip over I can use my shoulders to
keep from falling.

Wow the reserve is met on those rollers. That is very cheap for the best set you can buy on the
market. Not sure what the final price will be, but right now that is a steal.

Curt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3619918077&category=36141

> "SM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi there - what can I expect to pay for a good set of rollers new? What opinions do you guys
> > have in regards to Rollers v Rear Wheel Trainers?
> >
> > Cheers

Had my set of Kreitler for 20years, had to have a set of bearings put in one roller about 10 years
ago. Called about a set of bearings this year when I started getting a squeek and the cost was $20
for all three rollers, I was responsable for shipping. A very good price. I also have the head wind
unit for these to add a load. I wouldn't have any other type, very quiet and smooth. They might cost
alot up front but I feel they are worth it.

Bob

"SM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi there - what can I expect to pay for a good set of rollers new? What opinions do you guys have
> in regards to Rollers v Rear Wheel Trainers?
>
> Cheers

Yes, they are no doubt the best. Quiet like you stated and you will have them for life.

Curt

news:[email protected]...

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:36:57 +0000, Shultz wrote:

> Had my set of Kreitler for 20years, had to have a set of bearings put in one roller about 10 years
> ago. Called about a set of bearings this year when I started getting a squeek and the cost was $20
> for all three rollers, I was responsable for shipping. A very good price. I also have the head
> wind unit for these to add a load. I wouldn't have any other type, very quiet and smooth. They
> might cost alot up front but I feel they are worth it.

The rollers themselves are quite silent, but head wind unit makes a ton of racket.