Cost of switching from triple to double

JimmyVA

May 2, 2005
I'm going to buy a 2005 Giant OCR1 within the next few weeks and I want to change it from a triple to a double (no stock double is available). It comes with a Truvativ Elita 30/42/52T Crank. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much it should cost me (assuming I sell the parts I'm replacing) to switch to a double and which double would be a good buy.

JimmyVA said:
I'm going to buy a 2005 Giant OCR1 within the next few weeks and I want to change it from a triple to a double (no stock double is available). It comes with a Truvativ Elita 30/42/52T Crank. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much it should cost me (assuming I sell the parts I'm replacing) to switch to a double and which double would be a good buy.
To do it like a factory job, you need crank,BB, F and RD. Who knows what you are going to get for the parts and what you will pay for the new stuff, and to have someone to put it on?

You will also need new shifters. you might want to search E-bay or try to make a deal with the bike shop. they will try to convince you to keep them, but if you really want double,it is going to cost you between $400 to $600 depending on the brand. deduct whatever you can get for the triple components.

veloci said:
You will also need new shifters. you might want to search E-bay or try to make a deal with the bike shop. they will try to convince you to keep them, but if you really want double,it is going to cost.....
He doesn't need a new front shifter, or shifters for that matter.A front that shifts a triple will shift a double just as well. ...Altho a 10 speed DA or ultegra factory double will have a different front shifter that is double only.

boudreaux said:
He doesn't need a new front shifter, or shifters for that matter.A front that shifts a triple will shift a double just as well. ...Altho a 10 speed DA or ultegra factory double will have a different front shifter that is double only.

new design shifters are different from double to triple or the other way around. the rear will be fine, but by the time you pay for only one, you might be better off buying the set. just my 2 cents.

veloci said:
new design shifters are different from double to triple or the other way around. the rear will be fine, but by the time you pay for only one, you might be better off buying the set. just my 2 cents.
You don't have a clue...His triple shifter will shift a double.

Mmm...just a question. Why do you want to go double?. I mean, Its going to cost a lot (shifters or no shifters) and -if you're not competing seriously- a 42/52 front combination is VERY useful.

cheers

Ronanmk said:
... and -if you're not competing seriously- a 42/52 front combination is VERY useful.

cheers
Maybe that depends on who you are and where you are.Doesn't work for me.

A simple solution is to remove the 30, change the mid chain ring for a 39, and readjust the FD.

With the extra cost can you possibly upgrade to a bike where a double is an option?

If it was me, and it isn't, I'd look for a bike that is available 'off the shelf' with a double... there are lots of very similar bikes out there that do come with a double.

Yeah, and the chainline will blow big ones.
Thanks for puting me right on that one. The next suggestions of an upgrade to a higher model are good. Yesterday my LBS was assembling a TCR with 2x10 Campag group when I was there. Surely that must be a better option.