Cost Plus World Market

Serendipity

Guest
I discovered Cost Plus World Market yesterday. That place is totally
awesome! Some things are quite costly but everything appears to be
quite high quality. They have a food section that carries many of the
products seen on the food channel. I can see easily dropping $200-300
dollars there in a very short time. Yesterday, I was frugal with my
purchases though. I bought: depression era style bread box ($19.99),
Roshco silicone muffin pan with non-stick sled ($19.99), genuine
superior Spanish saffron ($3.99), vanilla soda (as seen on tv - $1.19
each), cinnamon sticks, and whole nutmeg. I found some of the food
items rather expensive but given they are unique or organic or items you
can't easily get, the prices were't all that bad. What a great store!
I can't wait to go back. Time to start keeping a list of food channel
ingredients I would like to try :)

"Serendipity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I discovered Cost Plus World Market yesterday. That place is totally
> awesome! Some things are quite costly but everything appears to be
> quite high quality. They have a food section that carries many of the
> products seen on the food channel. I can see easily dropping $200-300
> dollars there in a very short time. Yesterday, I was frugal with my
> purchases though. I bought: depression era style bread box ($19.99),
> Roshco silicone muffin pan with non-stick sled ($19.99), genuine
> superior Spanish saffron ($3.99), vanilla soda (as seen on tv - $1.19
> each), cinnamon sticks, and whole nutmeg. I found some of the food
> items rather expensive but given they are unique or organic or items you
> can't easily get, the prices were't all that bad. What a great store!
> I can't wait to go back. Time to start keeping a list of food channel
> ingredients I would like to try :)

Ahh I love that store! Especially during the holidays...you can find so many
cool and unusual stocking stuffers! It's amazing. I'm planning to check out
what they have for Easter Basket items too.
During these last holidays it was the only place I found sugar free
peppermint syrup (coffee flavoring syrup). Huge bottle, and about the same
price as the small bottle of regular syrup in the grocery store, so it was a
bargain as far as I was concerned.
I've also purchased a few home items there at various times. My husband had
picked out these awesome tables from Home Place before they closed that look
like leather chests with the old fashioned maps on them. Cost plus was a
great place to shop for accessories! Vases, lamps, etc.
Not to mention, they have an extensive selection of wines and unusual
beverages.
What a fun way to spend a couple hours....

kimberly

I don't buy food stuff there but I do like their table top items, and
stocked my honeymoon kitchen with Cost Plus bakeware.

One of the cutest housewarming presents I got (in that first honeymoon
cottage) was a woven bread basket full of new, empty spice jars from
Cost Plus.

Leila

Great place. The non-food stuff is almost entirely imported, much from
developing
nations, so you have to evaluate that according to your own conscience.

They have some good loose teas. The greens aren't as good as stuff
from chinese
markets, but they're not horrible. The blacks are good.

The coffee is OK, but they don't give you any info on the roast, and
who knows how fresh they are, so for
the price you're better off going with local roast if you have it
nearby.

I bought a bottle of spice hunter cinnamon, and it is great. They
carry lots of loose spices.

Yeah, it's a great store, one of my favorites.

Greg Zywicki

"aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Serendipity wrote:
> > I discovered Cost Plus World Market yesterday. That place is totally
> > awesome! [snip enthusiastic recap]

> The ones in California also have pretty extensive international wine
> sections. I've also sampled some of the coffees. Tomato paste and
> anchovy paste and pesto in tubes. Italian pasta. Dishes for Japanese
> and Chinese food, pasta bowl sets. Placemats from around the world.
> Good selection of vinegars. Candies, cookies, biscuits.

Sounds identical to the CPWM stores in the Houston area. The wines are
usually a good value, but the international foods tend to be pricier than
the same foods in the regular or ethnic supermarkets in this area.

Mary

MareCat wrote:

> "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Serendipity wrote:
> > > I discovered Cost Plus World Market yesterday. That place is totally
> > > awesome! [snip enthusiastic recap]

> > The ones in California also have pretty extensive international wine
> > sections. I've also sampled some of the coffees. Tomato paste and
> > anchovy paste and pesto in tubes. Italian pasta. Dishes for Japanese
> > and Chinese food, pasta bowl sets. Placemats from around the world.
> > Good selection of vinegars. Candies, cookies, biscuits.

> Sounds identical to the CPWM stores in the Houston area. The wines are
> usually a good value, but the international foods tend to be pricier than
> the same foods in the regular or ethnic supermarkets in this area.

Mine (Chicawgo) has a lot of European/UK stuff, e.g. British Heinz soups and
such...this past xmas they had decent Dresdener Stollen (German holiday
cake) for $3.99...not too bad for the price...

They sometimes have a nice sale table, I snarfed up some nice candles a
whiles back for about half - price or less...

Their gift wrap is stylish and decently - priced, too...and I buy picture
frames and mats there also.

CPWM reminds of how Pier One used to be years ago, before Pier One went all
upscale and yuppie.

A number of friends love the place, so it's easy to shop for them for
holidays/b'days - get 'em a gift card from CPWM :)

--
Best
Greg