costs of upgrading mtb to road

daunce

May 1, 2003
I love my mtb bike, and i have all the gear for it, so at least i look like i know what i am doing. I thought if i bought a road bike, it wouldn't be so bad in the fact i already have the accessories you need such as helmet, lights, lock, clothing shy shorts etc.

Into the second week of having my road bike, and i'm still spending money on accessories just like i did when i first got into cycling.

First off, i needed new shoes. tube (well dur!), a pump with a gauge as petrol stations wont do anymore. proper lycra bike shorts (eek!). helmet (i couldn't believe it, there IS a difference between mtb & road helmets). new saddle bag due to different seat post. And now i need a new tight fitting cycling shirt to look like the other riders now.

never thought i'd be up for another ~$800 when i thought i already had the right gear :)

Get used to it bro. If you crash, there goes your shorts and probably your jersey as well. Because of pollutants like ozone, you should replace your helmet every year also. Failure to do this will result is far less protection.

Cycling is very cost-inneffective. If you like to ride, it is a price you must pay!!!

Good luck!!!

road and MTB helmets? Just use the same one, there is no real difference, it's just styling and marketing. And you can use it for more than a year without worrying about it. Every 2-3 years is about how long most people keep them for.

You can keep a helmet for a few years, but the older it is, the less protection it will offer. Ozone and UV light are the number one enemies, and cause degradation of helmet materials. It's true most all helmets have UV inhibitors, but how well are they really working??? Small, miscroscopic, scratches or abrasions from normal handling and wear can let pollutants in the liner which is normally made of EPS (expanded polystyrene). Some say you can go 5 years between replacements. Whatever!!!

The way helmets work is the foam liner slows down the rapid de-celleration of your brain when you hit your head. Your head will crush the foam as it slows down. This deformation of the foam is what saves you. Anything that compromises the integrity of the foam will impair the ability of the liner to slow down your brain if you crash. This means ozone and UV light, in addition to normal wear and tear.

Parachutists are taught to immediately get their harness and canopy out of the sun as soon as possible after a jump. The military makes you jump with a large canvas bag to stow the harness and canopy assembly immediately after a jump. This is because the U.V. light from the sun will severly damage the nylon and make it weaker. Do you throw you helmet in your car upside down so sun can hit it??? Is it upside down when you take it off and stop for a while??? All of this damge is cumulative, and over time will cause the liner to weaken. This gives less protection.

I love motorcycles, and have been riding a long time. I was talking to a motocrosser a few months ago and he was talking about a friend of his in a coma. He crashed trying to clear a double jump and sustained a bad head injury. His helmet was a few years old. Even his doctors have theorized that a newer helmet might have prevented this.

Ever notice how well discounted year-old helmets are compared to other year old clothing/parts??? People who know replace their helmets yearly. Cars/motorcycles/bicycles, it doesn't matter.

Critical-use equipment must be retired in advance. It doesn't matter if it's a rapelling/climbing rope, parachute, or helmet, it must be replaced before anything is visibly wrong with it!!!

When it comes to something as important as a helmet, I can't imagine taking a chance on the liner being optimal year after year. To me, $125-$150 is small change to be reasurred my helmet is in good shape!!!

As far as mountain/road/etc gear exchangability goes, I regularily use my full face freeride freeride helmet (BMX Pro-Tec Ace) when riding in the city on my singlespeed road bike. Not only does it offer that added protection around a whole lot of big heavy metal opponents fighting for more roadspace, but it also makes me noticeable, and probably makes people cautious of getting in my way. (Black full face just sorta says "BACK OFF").

As for shorts, I use a pair of cargo shorts, both on all my bikes.

And T shirts.. well.. any will do.

Okok, so sure, you want to be a roadie, high speed with the wind slipping off your lycra outfit, but seriously, i ride a 3:1 ratio on my road bike and do 60-80 mile days regularily (for fun or necessity), and my cadence is such that i blow by plenty of intermediate road riders.

My point is: Gear is usually 1% performance increase, and 99 % visual. If you want to impress other riders, cook them on a steep climb.