Cotswolds Way

Orlando J A Wie

Guest
Hello, I'm new to this group and to usenet in general - please be gentle...

My wife and I will likely be taking a walk along the Cotswolds Way come September. I have a few
equipment related questions - Ron Hill Tracksters, how tight are they? Do they fit like the old
Adidas sweatpants? Is the Excertec 200 of the New Trek units too warm for the above usage? (I like
the pockets) Is anyone here familiar with http://www.rainshield.com products? Incredibly light and
inexpensive, though somewhat delicate and short-sleeved. Are gaiters de rigueur? On an unrelated
note(we'll be B and Bing it)(odd as a verb) I have a Spacepacker Plus MK 1 and have found it to be
rather stuffy. Even with all 4 doors tied up and both noseeum windows fully exposed, there just
wasn't much airflow. I'm considering taking out the triangular solid nylon door section and
replacing it with noseeum. I bought this tent for the low weight to space ratio, and since I camp
mostly in warmer weather(not counting the odd quinzee foray) I don't need to retain the
"insulation".

Thanks in advance for your patient answers

PS-possible Canadianisms-quinzee:pile up snow, hollow it out, sleep in it. Noseeum:mesh to
keep out bugs.

PP-any trouble booking B and Bs a just few days in advance in September?

[email protected] (Orlando J A Wiebe) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello, I'm new to this group and to usenet in general - please be gentle...
>
> My wife and I will likely be taking a walk along the Cotswolds Way come September. I have a few
> equipment related questions - Ron Hill Tracksters, how tight are they? Do they fit like the old
> Adidas sweatpants? Is the Excertec 200 of the New Trek units too warm for the above usage? (I like
> the pockets) Is anyone here familiar with http://www.rainshield.com products? Incredibly light and
> inexpensive, though somewhat delicate and short-sleeved. Are gaiters de rigueur? On an unrelated
> note(we'll be B and Bing it)(odd as a verb) I have a Spacepacker Plus MK 1 and have found it to be
> rather stuffy. Even with all 4 doors tied up and both noseeum windows fully exposed, there just
> wasn't much airflow. I'm considering taking out the triangular solid nylon door section and
> replacing it with noseeum. I bought this tent for the low weight to space ratio, and since I camp
> mostly in warmer weather(not counting the odd quinzee foray) I don't need to retain the
> "insulation".
>
> Thanks in advance for your patient answers
>
> PS-possible Canadianisms-quinzee:pile up snow, hollow it out, sleep in it. Noseeum:mesh to keep
> out bugs.
>
> PPS-any trouble booking B and Bs a just few days in advance in September?

No Replies-too wordy? too many questions?

On 25 Jan 2004 12:32:17 -0800, Orlando J A Wiebe wrote:

>Hello, I'm new to this group and to usenet in general - please be gentle...

Perhaps we were a little too gentle :)

>My wife and I will likely be taking a walk along the Cotswolds Way come September. I have a few
>equipment related questions - Ron Hill Tracksters, how tight are they?

Ron Hills are pretty tight. I never really got on with them, in any case I prefer something a little
more wind proof.

Snip stuff of which I have no experience.

> Are gaiters de rigueur?

Gaiters would be de riguer*if* you were anticipating deep snow or bog, neither of which are likely
to feature on the CW in September.

>PPS-any trouble booking B and Bs a just few days in advance in September?

I wouldn't think so. The schools will have gone back so the peak holiday season will be over. You'll
just have the likes of you and I that like to take their holidays at quieter, cheaper times of the
year to contend with.

PS- Just out of interest do you pronounce your surname the German way with a V or the
English(Canadian?) way with a W?

On 4 Feb 2004 15:52:29 -0800, [email protected] (Orlando J A Wiebe)
wrote:

>No Replies-too wordy? too many questions?
One has to be a Mountain Mason to get an answere in this group. Unless you are interested in Asda
and IKEA tents.

Alias for this week: Bert

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 25 Jan 2004 12:32:17 -0800, Orlando J A Wiebe wrote:
>
> >> Gaiters would be de riguer*if* you were anticipating deep snow or bog,
> neither of which are likely to feature on the CW in September.

Gaiters are always in style with me when moisture is in the air, even if just morning dew, to avoid
flopping wet cuffs. And gaiters help keep trousers clean past farm gates (mud and manure) and stiles
where one is likely to brush boots against legs. Not to mention the likelihood of kicking a pebble
into one's boot without them. No, sorry, must disagree--gaiters are always in style.

"Orlando J A Wiebe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Orlando J A Wiebe) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hello, I'm new to this group and to usenet in general - please be gentle...
> >
> > My wife and I will likely be taking a walk along the Cotswolds Way come September. I have a few
> > equipment related questions - Ron Hill Tracksters, how tight are they? Do they fit like the old
> > Adidas sweatpants? Is the Excertec 200 of the New Trek units too warm for the above usage? (I
> > like the pockets) Is anyone here familiar with http://www.rainshield.com products? Incredibly
> > light and inexpensive, though somewhat delicate and short-sleeved. Are gaiters de rigueur? On an
> > unrelated note(we'll be B and Bing it)(odd as a verb) I have a Spacepacker Plus MK 1 and have
> > found it to be rather stuffy. Even with all 4 doors tied up and both noseeum windows fully
> > exposed, there just wasn't much airflow. I'm considering taking out the triangular solid nylon
> > door section and replacing it with noseeum. I bought this tent for the low weight to space
> > ratio, and since I camp mostly in warmer weather(not counting the odd quinzee foray) I don't
> > need to retain the "insulation".
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your patient answers
> >
> > PS-possible Canadianisms-quinzee:pile up snow, hollow it out, sleep in it. Noseeum:mesh to keep
> > out bugs.
> >
> > PPS-any trouble booking B and Bs a just few days in advance in September?
>
> No Replies-too wordy? too many questions?

No patience?

"druidh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Orlando J A Wiebe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Orlando J A Wiebe) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Hello, I'm new to this group and to usenet in general - please be gentle...
> > >
> > > My wife and I will likely be taking a walk along the Cotswolds Way come September. I have a
> > > few equipment related questions - Ron Hill Tracksters, how tight are they? Do they fit like
> > > the old Adidas sweatpants? Is the Excertec 200 of the New Trek units too warm for the above
> > > usage? (I like the pockets) Is anyone here familiar with http://www.rainshield.com products?
> > > Incredibly light and inexpensive, though somewhat delicate and short-sleeved. Are gaiters de
> > > rigueur? On an unrelated note(we'll be B and Bing it)(odd as a verb) I have a Spacepacker Plus
> > > MK 1 and have found it to be rather stuffy. Even with all 4 doors tied up and both noseeum
> > > windows fully exposed, there just wasn't much airflow. I'm considering taking out the
> > > triangular solid nylon door section and replacing it with noseeum. I bought this tent for the
> > > low weight to space ratio, and since I camp mostly in warmer weather(not counting the odd
> > > quinzee foray) I don't need to retain the "insulation".
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for your patient answers
> > >
> > > PS-possible Canadianisms-quinzee:pile up snow, hollow it out, sleep in it. Noseeum:mesh to
> > > keep out bugs.
> > >
> > > PPS-any trouble booking B and Bs a just few days in advance in September?
> >
> > No Replies-too wordy? too many questions?
>

> No patience?

Ah, I will wait then.

> No patience?

Druidh, what's the point of confrontational posts like that? The guy is new and was being polite.
I'm afraid it's replies like yours that put me off being more active in forums such as this.

"Orlando J A Wiebe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Hello, I'm new to this group and to usenet in general - please be gentle...
>
> My wife and I will likely be taking a walk along the Cotswolds Way come September. I have a few
> equipment related questions - Ron Hill Tracksters, how tight are they? Do they fit like the old
> Adidas sweatpants? Is the Excertec 200 of the New Trek units too warm for the above usage? (I like
> the pockets) Is anyone here familiar with http://www.rainshield.com products? Incredibly light and
> inexpensive, though somewhat delicate and short-sleeved. Are gaiters de rigueur? On an unrelated
> note(we'll be B and Bing it)(odd as a verb) I have a Spacepacker Plus MK 1 and have found it to be
> rather stuffy. Even with all 4 doors tied up and both noseeum windows fully exposed, there just
> wasn't much airflow. I'm considering taking out the triangular solid nylon door section and
> replacing it with noseeum. I bought this tent for the low weight to space ratio, and since I camp
> mostly in warmer weather(not counting the odd quinzee foray) I don't need to retain the
> "insulation".
>
> Thanks in advance for your patient answers
>
> PS-possible Canadianisms-quinzee:pile up snow, hollow it out, sleep in it. Noseeum:mesh to keep
> out bugs.
>
> PPS-any trouble booking B and Bs a just few days in advance in September?

My Ron Hill's are not tight, they fit just nicely mind you I got a pair to fit and maybe if you're
large and you get a small pair they would nip your balls a bit. No idea about how similar they are
to Addidas sweatpants, are Addidas sweatpants the same as Reebok trackstars used to be, if they are
I will be able to offer a comparative opinion. I wouldn't have thought the Excertec 200's were
necessary along the Costwolds Way in September, probably rather overkill take some windprood
leggings instead. Is the rainshield bit a piece of spam, a valid plug or a question? I'd leave the
gaiters at home. On the Cotswold Way you'd look a bit of an **** wearing them. Not quite at the same
level as carrying an ice axe but we are in that kind of territory. The Spacepacker Plus Mk 1 IS a
stuffy tent. Although the Mark 2 got round that of course by dramatically increased ventage in the
lateral dimension. However I recommend the Pro-Action from the quality high street retailer Argos.
They also sell reasonably portable fans if you really want some really good draughtflow.

Ian.

On 6 Feb 2004 05:14:31 -0800, Michael S wrote:

>> No patience?
>
>Druidh, what's the point of confrontational posts like that? The guy is new and was being polite.
>I'm afraid it's replies like yours that put me off being more active in forums such as this.

Well we are a mild mannered lot, mostly, until somebody slags off GPS or flings accusations about
fitness ....

I rather fancy there were too many Qs in the OP.

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:00:32 +0000 (UTC), Ian Dainty wrote:

>"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>
>> Gaiters would be de riguer*if* you were anticipating deep snow or bog, neither of which are
>> likely to feature on the CW in September.
>
>But you would agree that there is a chance of both. Would you?

Well the chance of snow at all is vanishingly small IMO and the deepest bog is going to be that
encountered where the path co-incides with an area much used by beasts. This is rather more likely
than snow given that the CW runs through prime farming land.

...and then it pours...

Thanks to everyone for the helpful answers.

-Phil, it's the Canadian pronunciation, a W and a hard E. -Gaiters - Breathable? Cheapies? Maybe
homemade silnylon? My shoes are
NB 806, relatively water resistant and quick drying. -http://www.rainshield.com/ is not spam, it's a
legitimate site and company.

Sorry for not snipping, don't have a handle on that yet.

Orlando, from Winnipeg, which was the second coldest place in the world one day last week. -42
Celsius, plus the wind chill factor.

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:57:55 +0000, Bert <[email protected]> wrote:

>On 4 Feb 2004 15:52:29 -0800, [email protected] (Orlando J A Wiebe) wrote:
>
>>No Replies-too wordy? too many questions?
>One has to be a Mountain Mason to get an answere in this group. Unless you are interested in Asda
>and IKEA tents.

A Beinn a'Chlachair perhaps?

Richard Webb

>Gaiters are always in style with me when moisture is in the air, even if just morning dew, to avoid
>flopping wet cuffs. And gaiters help keep trousers clean past farm gates (mud and manure) and
>stiles where one is likely to brush boots against legs. Not to mention the likelihood of kicking a
>pebble into one's boot without them. No, sorry, must disagree--gaiters are always in style.

And if the cotswolds are awash with anything as well as money - its mud!

Richard Webb