Cottage Cheese Make-Overs?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nancy Cauwels, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Hi group,

    so I heard that cottage cheese is a healthy protein choice. There is only one downfall: I cannot
    stomach it... I believe it tastes absolutely yuk (no offence to all you cottage cheese lovers out
    there). Is there a way to make it more pleasing to the palate?

    Any suggestions would be very welcome!

    Nancy - who just joined WW yesterday.
    292/292/170

    Tags:

  2. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    Well, I don't like it plain either, but I love it with chives and pepper, then used like a dip with
    some wow doritoes.

    "Nancy Cauwels" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi group,
    >
    > so I heard that cottage cheese is a healthy protein choice. There is only one downfall: I cannot
    > stomach it... I believe it tastes absolutely yuk
    (no
    > offence to all you cottage cheese lovers out there). Is there a way to
    make
    > it more pleasing to the palate?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be very welcome!
    >
    > Nancy - who just joined WW yesterday.
    > 292/292/170

  3. Chrys

    Chrys Guest

    "Nancy Cauwels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi group,
    >
    > so I heard that cottage cheese is a healthy protein choice. There is
    only
    > one downfall: I cannot stomach it... I believe it tastes absolutely yuk
    (no
    > offence to all you cottage cheese lovers out there). Is there a way to
    make
    > it more pleasing to the palate?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be very welcome!
    >
    > Nancy - who just joined WW yesterday.
    > 292/292/170

    I can't stand cottage cheese either. There are lots of other healthy ways to get protein. You
    shouldn't try to force yourself to eat something you hate.

  4. Krys

    Krys Guest

    I like to put smoked salmon in it - you know those scrap bits you can buy?
    with some dill or parsley.
    Same with prawns. Or tinned tuna. In fact - I find you can mix almost
    anything with it - try red onion too? All herbs seem to help :)

    --
    krys

    UK 157/132/126 Started March 1st 2001 GOAL August 16th 2001 ...definitely making progress...

    "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I don't like it plain either, but I love it with chives and pepper, then used like a dip
    > with some wow doritoes.
    >
    > "Nancy Cauwels" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi group,
    > >
    > > so I heard that cottage cheese is a healthy protein choice. There is
    only
    > > one downfall: I cannot stomach it... I believe it tastes absolutely yuk
    > (no
    > > offence to all you cottage cheese lovers out there). Is there a way to
    > make
    > > it more pleasing to the palate?
    > >
    > > Any suggestions would be very welcome!
    > >
    > > Nancy - who just joined WW yesterday.
    > > 292/292/170

  5. I add some artificial sweetener & some vanilla - both to taste - sometimes I also add some cinnamon
    & then eat it like a desert. Elaine K

    Nancy Cauwels wrote:

    >Hi group,
    >
    >so I heard that cottage cheese is a healthy protein choice. There is only one downfall: I cannot
    >stomach it... I believe it tastes absolutely yuk (no offence to all you cottage cheese lovers out
    >there). Is there a way to make it more pleasing to the palate?
    >
    >Any suggestions would be very welcome!
    >
    >Nancy - who just joined WW yesterday.
    >292/292/170

  6. Just Me

    Just Me Guest

    I buy the flavoured ones, my favourite is with pineapple. I can't stomach it plain but I love it
    with pineapple.

    Jane

    "Nancy Cauwels" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi group,
    >
    > so I heard that cottage cheese is a healthy protein choice. There is only one downfall: I cannot
    > stomach it... I believe it tastes absolutely yuk
    (no
    > offence to all you cottage cheese lovers out there). Is there a way to
    make
    > it more pleasing to the palate?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be very welcome!
    >
    > Nancy - who just joined WW yesterday.
    > 292/292/170

  7. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Thanks for reminding me. I had purchased some for the first time in a long time and forgot about it.
    It is now my mid-morning snack and I have no trouble downing it plain - fat-free.

    On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:57:18 +1100, "Nancy Cauwels" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi group,
    >
    >so I heard that cottage cheese is a healthy protein choice. There is only one downfall: I cannot
    >stomach it... I believe it tastes absolutely yuk (no offence to all you cottage cheese lovers out
    >there). Is there a way to make it more pleasing to the palate?
    >
    >Any suggestions would be very welcome!
    >
    >Nancy - who just joined WW yesterday.
    >292/292/170

  8. Laura

    Laura Guest

    I like my cottege cheese with fruit. Breakstone makes Cottege Cheese Doubles. Low fat cottege cheese
    plus fruit jam. 3 points for a nice evening snack or light lunch.

    "Nancy Cauwels" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi group,
    >
    > so I heard that cottage cheese is a healthy protein choice. There is
    only
    > one downfall: I cannot stomach it... I believe it tastes absolutely
    yuk (no
    > offence to all you cottage cheese lovers out there). Is there a way to
    make
    > it more pleasing to the palate?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be very welcome!
    >
    > Nancy - who just joined WW yesterday.
    > 292/292/170

  9. Bird

    Bird Guest

    I have the cottage cheese with a banana and fool myself into thinking I am
    eating a dessert like cheesecake or something!!!
    I also get ricotta cheese and use it the same way. Perhaps ;you may like it
    better than the cottage cheese.
    Bird
    "Nancy Cauwels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi group,
    >
    > so I heard that cottage cheese is a healthy protein choice. There is only one downfall: I cannot
    > stomach it... I believe it tastes absolutely yuk
    (no
    > offence to all you cottage cheese lovers out there). Is there a way to
    make
    > it more pleasing to the palate?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be very welcome!
    >
    > Nancy - who just joined WW yesterday.
    > 292/292/170

  10. Laura

    Laura Guest

    I find ricotta sweeter than cottege cheese. Add a little bit of salt and pepper and you're all set.
    How does the points compare with cottege cheese? Laura (thinking its time to go food shopping)

    "bird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have the cottage cheese with a banana and fool myself into thinking
    I am
    > eating a dessert like cheesecake or something!!! I also get ricotta cheese and use it the same
    > way. Perhaps ;you may
    like it
    > better than the cottage cheese. Bird "Nancy Cauwels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi group,
    > >
    > > so I heard that cottage cheese is a healthy protein choice. There is
    only
    > > one downfall: I cannot stomach it... I believe it tastes absolutely
    yuk
    > (no
    > > offence to all you cottage cheese lovers out there). Is there a way
    > make
    > > it more pleasing to the palate?
    > >
    > > Any suggestions would be very welcome!
    > >
    > > Nancy - who just joined WW yesterday.
    > > 292/292/170

  11. Dcsena

    Dcsena Guest

    My dad likes his with canned peaches. Personally I like it plain. But it is also good in lasagne.

  12. Petal

    Petal Guest

    Hi Nancy,

    I agree with Chrys - there are loads of protein sources that are very healthy, so don't force
    yourself to eat something you can't stomach. Eating should be a pleasure, not torture. :)

    Healthy meat choices: turkey, chicken, fish (oily fish such as salmon and tuna give you extra
    benefits as well), and other lean cuts of meat. Healthy non-meat choices: any animal product (eggs,
    any cheese, milk, yoghurt), combine rice/grains with beans/peas/other legumes, add nuts to salads,
    peanut butter sandwiches, or add tofu to veggie stir fries.

    Enjoy!

    Cheers, Petal

    "Nancy Cauwels" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi group,
    >
    > so I heard that cottage cheese is a healthy protein choice. There is only one downfall: I cannot
    > stomach it... I believe it tastes absolutely yuk
    (no
    > offence to all you cottage cheese lovers out there). Is there a way to
    make
    > it more pleasing to the palate?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be very welcome!
    >
    > Nancy - who just joined WW yesterday.
    > 292/292/170

  13. two directions to go here, either put fruit on it, or put it in processor
    with onions, mushrooms and spices to make into vegi dip
    Nancy Cauwels <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi group,
    >
    > so I heard that cottage cheese is a healthy protein choice. There is only one downfall: I cannot
    > stomach it... I believe it tastes absolutely yuk
    (no
    > offence to all you cottage cheese lovers out there). Is there a way to
    make
    > it more pleasing to the palate?
    >
    > Any suggestions would be very welcome!
    >
    > Nancy - who just joined WW yesterday.
    > 292/292/170

  14. A sprinkle of salt and lots of pepper!

    Brenda